Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire?  (Read 1679 times)

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire?
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »

Has anyone ever been able to use fire to their advantage? Like I've always wanted to light up one of those elf cities, and masacare the buggers... but the fire never seems to spread... What gives?

Anyone else got any fire stories?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »

I've had a few successful fires.  In the most memorable, I was slaughtering elves and decided to start a fire... then walked right into it and burned to death.  It was pretty neat.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:03 am »

Is the temperature on? I always forget that when trying to kill elves without repercussions.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »

I have used fire to inflict mass casualties on elven forest retreats, but you have to set a lot of fires since it doesn't spread very well or very quickly.  Set a fire next to every elf you see and you should kill a fair number of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »

Yeah, I do it all the time.

Here is the KEY to a successful elferno as I call them.

First, light a bunch of trees on fire in a forest retreat.

Second, find a spot, preferably an isolated land tile surrounded by water but, barring that, somewhere with no trees or burnable areas in the general vicinity.

Make sure you have food and water on you.

Then:  Sleep.  The fire will continue to spread when you are sleeping and the time is increased dramatically.  If you travel away the fire will stop.  So ... sleep.  You'll wake up hungry and thirsty so, eat and drink, then, sleep again.  By the time you wake up ... !!ELFERNO!!
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »

I tend to use fire for funeral pyres.
Kill stuff.
Drop Bodies.
Light fire
???
Profit!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:59 am »

set fire to a some bolts have fun burning elves.
any thing to throw shoud be set on fire.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:50:27 am »

Yeah, I do it all the time.

Here is the KEY to a successful elferno as I call them.

First, light a bunch of trees on fire in a forest retreat.

Second, find a spot, preferably an isolated land tile surrounded by water but, barring that, somewhere with no trees or burnable areas in the general vicinity.

Make sure you have food and water on you.

Then:  Sleep.  The fire will continue to spread when you are sleeping and the time is increased dramatically.  If you travel away the fire will stop.  So ... sleep.  You'll wake up hungry and thirsty so, eat and drink, then, sleep again.  By the time you wake up ... !!ELFERNO!!

I thought fires don't spread in adventure mode?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

They do it just takes forever I thought they didn't spread either and so in order to protect myself while I slept set a ring of fire around me, this spread while I slept and I woke up with my face melted off.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:40:14 pm »

It's probably because fire spreads at the same speed it does in dwarf mode, where days pass in mere minutes.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »

Fire can be used pretty effectively against civilians if you can find a way to get them to stand around in a fire, or if you can get fire over to them.  But against creatures that are actively fighting you, I've found it pretty hard to use fire as a weapon.

I've tried setting fires in combat and then moving around so that the enemy is in the fire and my adventurer is not.  But, the way creatures dodge around they never seem to stay in the fire long enough.

While an enemy is chasing you, you can occasionally hide behind something and sneak, so that the enemy will stop in a fixed location.  That can sometimes lead to a firey death, but not all that often, as they'll move on their own eventually.

If you can grab an enemy and hold on, they won't dodge away, so that might mean you can keep an enemy in a fire.  But really, if you are strong/large enough to effectively grab onto and hold an enemy, you can likely kill them far quicker through ordinary violence than firey violence.

KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

CyberCube

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:08 pm »

Yeah, using fire to kill people is always fun, but you really don't get to use fire on yourself to save your own life that often.

Like this one time when I was playing as an elf and had set some war orphans I had brutally murdered on fire to get the bones so that I could use them as projectiles, the air itself decided I was too evil and tried to freeze me to death. I wasn't wearing gloves, so my hands were catching a nasty case of frostbite, but I wasn't going to travel away without my throwing bones. So I did what anyone else would do in that situation.

I jumped into the fire. 8)

Yeah, apparently, the air was so cold that the fire somehow harmlessly canceled it out. At least, I think that's what happened. I didn't stay around that long, though, so I don't know if I would've caught fire had I kept standing there or not.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »

it should be as standing in fire for 8 turns turns ice into water.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:03 am »

fire is underpowered, I had and epic solo battle with a dragon (no throwing as a challenge) in an inferno, twas funny when I walked away from the battle as a smoke tile
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.