Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Computer security for the "computer illiterate"  (Read 9026 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Computer security for the "computer illiterate"
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2010, 03:15:33 pm »

Everyone non super lazy will care about their computer more when they get it severely infected, an example is me. ::)

I don't think I've been infected since, I'm careful about the sites I visit, and that works out pretty well!

Not going to push my luck though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »

Wireless is rather unsecure, but I think a 128-bit WPA encryption AND MAC address restricted wireless is enough. Never shop online/input personal data (credit card/SSN#) on wireless though, no matter how secure.
Bull. This is why TLS was invented. WPA2 can be compromised (well, -PSK can, a real hashed key can be too but it takes a hell of a lot longer and is not really viable), but somebody sniffing your network is going to encounter TLS-encrypted packets. MitM through ettercap or whatever won't work, because most browsers won't open websites where the SSL certificate is incorrect. The system is designed to foil the attack you are paranoid about, and a malicious user is simply not going to break TLS for your credit card. It's worth all of $3.50 on the open market. Somebody who has a way to break TLS is going to use it on targets a hell of a lot more valuable than the credit card number you're using to buy your My Little Pony DVD.
So your contention that you should not use wireless networks for sensitive data is, to be blunt, wrong.

He is right about Outlook though. In fact, go further, and uninstall Outlook entirely, as it has some rather bad security holes.
He's wrong, and so are you. The Trident renderer within Outlook runs in the same sandbox that IE7 and IE8 do, which has proven largely effective against malware. (Protected mode is why I look at this exploit and shrug, because it can't deploy remote code on my system thanks to DEP and Protected Mode; it's labeled Critical for Vista/7 because that's the only way to get end users to install it.)

There may be something that can break through--but you might see the same bloody thing in any browser instance, so it's not the OH MY GOD MY FACE IS ON FIRE thing y'all would like it to be. Outlook is an integral part of a lot of user's experience and their work (yes, even "computer illiterates"--oftentimes they're better with Outlook and Exchange than you are), and to say "hurr don't use it" is asinine, wrongheaded, and simply bad advice. Hell, the alternatives to Outlook--and I use "alternatives" loosely, nothing except Notes has the same feature set, and Notes kind of blows--have their own major problems too.

Of course, if you're running XP, you don't have the benefit of Protected Mode. The answer is not to run screaming from Outlook, which is a well-behaved program; it is to run screaming from XP, which is on the verge of exiting all patch support entirely and is over a decade old. (Software does not age like wine; it turns into vinegar.)

But again: Stop the trolling and flaming responses.
Then perhaps he should research what he's saying before he posits it as true. He has failed to do so, and, for that matter, so have you.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

You're right, I completely forgot about the fact that the actual connection to the site you're shopping at is likely to be secure in the first place, or at least should be.

Stealing random social security numbers that way would be hilariously inefficient and terrible. Someone who's that capable won't be driving around in a van hoping that some sap is going to be shopping online at that exact moment just to steal one person's confidental information.

Hell, that place I mentioned where I used to work? Medical record warehouse. They hired people who had recently been to jail, had no security and virtually no way to hold anyone accountable for anything, and I could have easily walked out of there every day with stacks of canceled checks, medical records, social security numbers, and anything else anyone could possibly want. In fact, there would be almost no way they'd even notice if it were taken from the piles of stuff about to be destroyed since, well, it would have been shredded and recycled anyway.*

Point is, if someone wants to steal personal information, and is capable enough to break into arbitrary wireless networks and break arbitrary HTTPS connections, they aren't going to do what you're saying in the least. This is something that takes skill, it's not like stealing personal checks out of somebody's mailbox.

*I haven't done and wouldn't do anything like this, of course. The lack of security just bothered me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »

But again: Stop the trolling and flaming responses.
Then perhaps he should research what he's saying before he posits it as true. He has failed to do so, and, for that matter, so have you.

Please read the words you quote. I asked for not only the trolling to stop, but also the flaming responses, like your post here.

I will now lay it down. All of you who wish to continue this war, get out of my thread NOW. Feel free to continue it elsewhere, but this thread is not the place.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »

In what universe is saying that you haven't done the research to back up your claims "flaming"? I understand that you don't like being told you're wrong, but, frankly, I don't care. It isn't flaming to call you out when you're wrong. I did. Suck it up and do better.

Stop attempting to misdirect the conversation, accept you were incorrect, do better next time. It's not that hard.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

I am not "misdirecting the conversation", I am returning it to the original topic. I am not proving you wrong because I am returning the thread to the original topic.

Get. Out.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

No, I don't think so. Throughout this thread I've pointed out misconceptions and problems with the advice given--problems that apply to the "computer illiterate" you are attempting to target. When you are giving incredibly bad advice, it is irresponsible for me and others who have a handle on the topic to not correct you, especially as you are positioning as an authoritative source. You are not an authoritative source, you are wrong, and your inability to deal with being wrong is not my problem. Lock the thread if you don't want people to correct your and others' mistakes.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »

\
Stop attempting to misdirect the conversation

Since said conversation is really pretty off topic anyway...

I suggest everyone install FireFox and use the Web Of Trust plugin. Also, get Spybot- Search And Destroy. TeaTimer is awesome. With TeaTimer, UAC (it may be mildly annoying at times, but it does it's damn job), and some skill (emphasis on the skill, I don't want some foo complaining to me that "I deleeted my system32 folder becuz it was virus and now it dun work!") you can often get rid of the stealthier viruses (which are usually slower to act so they don't attract attention, allowing you to kill them in their sleep) by hand. I also use AVG, Webroot, and Trend Micro antiviruses.

I remember one time a particularly nasty trojan wormed it's way into my system. I killed it with regedit and instincts. That was effing awesome.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:23 pm »

For XP, that's not bad advice (I prefer Chrome for my own use, but Firefox is a little more newbie-safe). On Windows Vista or 7, the features of TeaTimer, etc. are subsumed into MSE and it's unnecessary.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »

\

I suggest everyone install FireFox and use the Web Of Trust plugin. Also, get Spybot- Search And Destroy. TeaTimer is awesome. With TeaTimer, UAC (it may be mildly annoying at times, but it does it's damn job), and some skill (emphasis on the skill, I don't want some foo complaining to me that "I deleeted my system32 folder becuz it was virus and now it dun work!") you can often get rid of the stealthier viruses (which are usually slower to act so they don't attract attention, allowing you to kill them in their sleep) by hand. I also use AVG, Webroot, and Trend Micro antiviruses.

I remember one time a particularly nasty trojan wormed it's way into my system. I killed it with regedit and instincts. That was effing awesome.
You... use three antiviruses? are you mad?! It does more harm than good!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »

...Yeah, I totally missed that part. My bad.

You don't want to run any of those AV agents, let alone all of them. Of the list, AVG is the only one that might be around a bog-standard average. Avast is better than all of them. Microsoft's own offering, MSE (ForeFront, rebranded), is superior to all of the above and it's not even close.

There's no sane reason not to use it, at least until somebody else makes an effort to catch up.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »

Is that even available for XP, though?

(and no, before you say "just upgrade to Windows 7", that's not an option for everyone, even if only for financial reasons)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:46 pm »

Four if you count Spybot+teatimer. Five if you count Windows Defender. I think I'm the best judge of whether or not my computer works well :P.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 05:54:27 pm »

\

How does it do harm?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:48 pm »

Different antivirus/antimalware programs will often tend to conflict with each other, and running multiple realtime-protection applications at the same time will just bog down your system even if they don't confuse the hell out of each other while detecting the same things at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7