Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Digital Piracy  (Read 12316 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Piracy
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2010, 01:48:23 am »

No I dont becuase:
registration will often involve agreeing not to post copyright material?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2010, 02:39:30 am »

Well, they did get around the "you can't patent algorithms" thing by bribing the judges ruling on whether or not the patent office could deny patents on algorithms saying "but if you, like, run this algorithm on a computer and shit, it's totally a machine and shit, man, oh and here's some money cause you're such a bro, man". So now you have patents on shit like "wrapping an image in a link" (not making that up, but my internet is too shitty to look up the old article on it in a reasonable amount of time; granted lawsuits based on it were enforced in Singapore, while it was basically laughed out of the court in the US, if I'm remembering correctly...).

Well, implementations of computer aglorythms are very commonly patented. There are a lot of patents on things like image processing etc. So there's nothing new under the sun there.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2010, 03:51:43 am »

Well, they did get around the "you can't patent algorithms" thing by bribing the judges ruling on whether or not the patent office could deny patents on algorithms saying "but if you, like, run this algorithm on a computer and shit, it's totally a machine and shit, man, oh and here's some money cause you're such a bro, man". So now you have patents on shit like "wrapping an image in a link" (not making that up, but my internet is too shitty to look up the old article on it in a reasonable amount of time; granted lawsuits based on it were enforced in Singapore, while it was basically laughed out of the court in the US, if I'm remembering correctly...).

Well, implementations of computer aglorythms are very commonly patented. There are a lot of patents on things like image processing etc. So there's nothing new under the sun there.
:|
Umm... yes? Isn't that what I said, albeit with the insinuation outright statement that bribes were involved in swaying the patent office to allow algorithms to be patented under the pretense that it's not the algorithm being patented, but rather a machine (any machine!) performing the algorithm? It was either some time in the late eighties or early nineties when this was decided; prior to that algorithms were considered mathematical facts, and thus unpatentable. So, it is rather new, as such things go, especially given there are patent lawsuits that were filed before 2000 still in litigation...

For some ungodly reason I felt this was relevant to people talking about patents, and mentioning algorithms being patented. ::)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:15 am »

Psyn, that court involved someone actually downloading software, and didn't even concern youtube.  Frankly I've never even heard of the site in question.  So I fail to see the point in mentioning it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:36 am »

Because it sets a precedent.
Shoes...

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2010, 09:32:32 am »

Question: Should torrent sites be accountable for the information posted by their users? A well known bittorrent site recently removed the majority of its content after a court order was passed down against it. Do you feel that the owners of a website are responsible for the method in which others use it? Especially considering that registration will often involve agreeing not to post copyright material?

If the registration process or terms of use require that copyrighted material not be posted (as they very well should, if only to prevent this sort of law-thing), then they definitely have a responsibility to remove it, ban those who posted it, and perhaps seek further consequences (depending on the specifics of the deed. One copy of a youtube video or song isn't quite as bad as 50 AAA game cracks...)

At least, IMHO.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:43 am »

Question: Should torrent sites be accountable for the information posted by their users? A well known bittorrent site recently removed the majority of its content after a court order was passed down against it. Do you feel that the owners of a website are responsible for the method in which others use it? Especially considering that registration will often involve agreeing not to post copyright material?

If the registration process or terms of use require that copyrighted material not be posted (as they very well should, if only to prevent this sort of law-thing), then they definitely have a responsibility to remove it, ban those who posted it, and perhaps seek further consequences (depending on the specifics of the deed. One copy of a youtube video or song isn't quite as bad as 50 AAA game cracks...)

At least, IMHO.

Except for the fact that no-one ever uploads anything copyrighted to the site itself, all they get is little package telling other computers where to look for the stuff they want.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2010, 11:18:36 am »

So, according to the general laws, the bit-torrent site's owner isn't guilty of pirating, and can't be forced to give up the site's members' details, who do the pirating, and even then they can't be proven of doing the pirating, unless the authorities fish through, for example, their Internet Provider's computer (or whatever), and that's forbidden...? So, the law is being legally broken?... Why does the situation stink to me?
I wonder if there is some deep flaw in the law which somehow doesn't account for the changes that have occurred during late XX century. Or something. Maybe there is some philosophical or moral factor it ignores?... A factor the humanity still hasn't discovered about itself, or fails to acknowledge... Oh, whatever, ramblings.

Edit: Example of a factor - if it's something valuable (by whatever esteem), a human will do anything to own and hoard it, be it money, women, land, mp3s or pets. Also, memories and friends.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:43:21 am by Supermikhail »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2010, 12:42:18 pm »

Psyn, that court involved someone actually downloading software, and didn't even concern youtube.
At Youtube you are actually downloading something. The distinction is that the law uses the technical definition of downloading, transferring, and you see it as clicking a button to initiate a transfer. Copyright law doesn't even contain the word "downloading" IIRC.

I quoted 504(c) for a reason, and that was to point out that, even if you are found inadvertent, by virtue of the actual infringement taking place, you are liable for (reduced) damages. Even a 16-year old girl (W. Harper) was held to this, after she was found ignorant of copyright&filesharing and thought she was listening to radio. (She appealed and had the "innocent infringer" claim rejected: $750/song instead of $200 as previously found -- $20,000 more.)

... Frankly I've never even heard of the site in question.  So I fail to see the point in mentioning it.
What site? Gonzalez used the Kazaa network. mp3.com was the fair use case (which I later realized was inappropriate).

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2010, 07:41:45 pm »

I don't understand this, why is everyone making it out that ubisoft is failing to stop piracy. Sure they might be losing sales but so far Assassin's creed 2 is yet to be cracked. Their latest attempt at thwarting piracy has been quite successful.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

Yet to be cracked? It was cracked before the game came out. They have failed. Hard.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2010, 07:48:43 pm »

Also what is the point of stopping piracy if they lose to sales more when they would lose to said piracy?

Edit: LOL at that gif!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:50:50 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »

Yet to be cracked? It was cracked before the game came out. They have failed. Hard.

Err no it wasn't, the .iso was released before it came out but there is no working crack for it yet.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11