Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice farming?  (Read 1119 times)

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
Ice farming?
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:40 am »

So I have aquifer and magma in freezing climate. What is the simplest and safest way to to farm ice?
I already see a possibility of unfreezing aquifer with magma, but my fortress isn't ready for massive magma engineering. Any techniques without using magma?

###       ### ground
####_____#### 'frozen' aquifer
 %%_______%%  pumps and hatches
­============= magma

Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Ice farming?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:55:47 am »

The only way to farm on a glacier or any non-soil layer is water. Without water, you can't make a farm. You need magma.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:59:23 am »

Umm... do you mean "Farm in a place with ice" or "generate (farm) ice"?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:04:59 am »

What you want should basically look like this:

____
# _@____
#######
========

The purple is a pump. You activate it, it pumps a tile of water, water freezes, you mine it out. Alternatively, you can do the same with floodgates on the level of the aquifer itself. You need to only release one tile at a time, however, or else mining it out causes the remaining water to flood over it and you lose your usable ice. If you leave a single tile of overhanging roof, you can use one pump to fill as wide an area as you need, but you might still have to deal with leftovers leaking out and refreezing for a while.

Mass ice farming is possible if bridges make the area beneath them indoors, but I don't have enough experience to remember that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:32 am »

What you want should basically look like this:

____
# _@____
#######
========

This. Just one tile of ice at a time on maps with no magma.

Otherwise you will almost certainly have you miners be instagibbed by freezing water. You can have no extra, unfrozen water that is not controlled by anything else, because as soon as you mine out the barrier the extra water will leak through and it will freeze, killing the dwarf who mined out the barrier.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:51 am »

Even if you dug it out via continual channeling from above?