Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simultaneous births  (Read 1164 times)

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
Simultaneous births
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:47:35 pm »

A strange thing just occurred in my fort;

Two different dwarves gave birth exactly at the same time. Seriously, the game paused only once for the two of them. A boy and a girl infant saw light for the first time (well, glow from the magma anyhow), and got my imagination spinning. Clearly these two are fated to something great. Perhaps a divided soul?

To keep an eye on them I gave them nicknames; Ziksis and Etas, or Split and Joined. Provided my fort (and my interest) survives for that long I shall keep you posted.

Have you ever seen simultaneous (non-twin) births?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Simultaneous births
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:53:25 pm »

A boy and a girl? As their births are blessed, just think about how blessed any children born by them must be.

You should see if you can get them to marry when they're of age.

Never had any twins, and I don't think I've seen any simultaneous births either.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »

One must be a Swordsdwarf, and the other a Hammerdwarf.

Any children born will be normal. Blessings aren't hereditary.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »

One must be a Swordsdwarf, and the other a Hammerdwarf.

I personally feel one must also be a miner, and the other a mason.  Dunno why.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:52:21 pm »

Heh, how about three at once? I think it happened one or two other times (for different dwarves then), it was during the early part of a baby boom I was having in the current fort. It only paused for one of them and I only noticed when I went to the announcements screen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

Frequently.  Especially when I have multiple types of animals giving birth.  I have several cows and cats with the exact same birthdays.

The cause of this seems to be that impregnation and birth seems to occur only at the tick from one day to the next.  Since there are only 336 days in a dwarf year, with births occuring every year, a certain amount of overlap will occur, especially when most births are occuring at the same time, thanks to many of these cows or cats or horses or dogs being purchased from a caravan at the same general time of year, and getting impregnated at around the same time of year, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »

To keep an eye on them I gave them nicknames; Ziksis and Etas, or Split and Joined.
I seriously just did a google translate to see what language those names are from. Then I realized, it's Dwarven.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:31 am »

Frequently.  Especially when I have multiple types of animals giving birth.  I have several cows and cats with the exact same birthdays.

The cause of this seems to be that impregnation and birth seems to occur only at the tick from one day to the next.  Since there are only 336 days in a dwarf year, with births occuring every year, a certain amount of overlap will occur, especially when most births are occuring at the same time, thanks to many of these cows or cats or horses or dogs being purchased from a caravan at the same general time of year, and getting impregnated at around the same time of year, as well.

Really? I could have sworn the animal births were more evenly dispersed. Time to do some SCIENCE!!!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:46:13 pm »

I rarely have simultaneous births, but I definately have animal 'birthing seasons' in my forts.  And one of my forts part of the story was a rivalry between my narrating character and the first immigrant family, with my narrator's firstborn arriving very soon after that already pregnant family's mother giving birth to the first baby born on the map.  The next year my narrator's child was born before that immigrant mother's was, by 4 game days or so.  So there is a little bit of variation possible, but I've definately seen 'waves of births' quite often.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.