Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: i have about 100000 stone i need to  (Read 1928 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i have about 100000 stone i need to
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:28:49 pm »

yea 100000 stones that need to go poof whats the  number i need to get the boiling point to to make them go away?

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: i have about 100000 stone i need to
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:57 pm »

boiling piont? just pur magma over them i think.....
YOu always can atmo crush them, it involves a retractable bridge and a stockpile

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »

theres a way you can make stone boil away at room temp  i dont want to have to flood my hole fort or move them that woudl take ages with speed 0 dwarfs

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »

Don't make it just go away.
Make a tower spanning 40 z-levels, preferably 20x20, in which you'll put all the stone in. Then, you make it stand on one support, and put the nobles in...
Then just a bit of machinery and all your problems are gone.

But if you prefer un-dwarven methods, use Jetsquirrel's method.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »

May I suggest atom smashing instead. Changing the boiling point of the stone(s) you want gone, will not only make the stones disappear, but also every single item made from that type of stone. And I mean everything: chairs, tables, amulets, idols, mechanisms, workshops, blocks, everything made from that stone will disappear. Actually, I'm not sure about built items and workshops. Could someone verify, please? Atom smashing will only dispose of the useless rock. And if you still want to do it, change the [MELTING_POINT:*] or [BOILING_POINT:*] tag (or add it if it isn't there) to 10000. This is 0° C, or the melting point of water. As long as they're not outside in a freezing temperature (easily identified by frozen water) they should melt/boil instantly.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:54:33 pm »

yea 100000 stones that need to go poof whats the  number i need to get the boiling point to to make them go away?

This seems to be coming up quite frequently (Boiling Stone Time?), this is maybe the third thread on it. Anyways in the raws in the stone_layer and the stone_mineral files you need to add    [BOILING_POINT:10015] to the stones you want gone. Caution this will kill your fps and will destroy all items and furniture that is made out of the stone(s) in question (including masterwork stuff and artifacts) and may cause tantrum spirals, and depending on what all gets destroyed possible cause collapses and vulnerabilities in fortress security.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

Actually, I'm not sure about built items and workshops. Could someone verify, please?

If a workshop is built from one of the boiled objects, then yes, it will deconstruct. The main risk of flash-boiling IMO is losing mechanisms and water-system furnishings, but in a case with enough stone is it unrealistic to attempt to get rid of it any other way, so all you can do is take precautions and hope for the best. Also, don't JUST add the melting point tag - then you will simply have 100,000 'clean' jobs for dwarves and they won't disappear until the season's out. And don't use magma; a bug will make the stone disappear but still be tracked in-game.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:44:02 pm »

o all i have is a vast dug out area full of stone theres nothing built on the map

im trying to recast the hole map so the stone got to go im  about haff way done and the stones taht about 30 deep on each tile is KILLING ME fliping over and over

Torpid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »

Whenever I have too many stones lying around I just ramp up stone craft production and dump it all on the next caravan to arrive. Anyone know if letting the caravan get away with LOTS of profit is bad for your dwarven society?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »

o all i have is a vast dug out area full of stone theres nothing built on the map

im trying to recast the hole map so the stone got to go im  about haff way done and the stones taht about 30 deep on each tile is KILLING ME fliping over and over

Then you should absolutely add the boiling-point token now, allow everything to boil away, then remove the tag and continue. Boil again when you're done.

Whenever I have too many stones lying around I just ramp up stone craft production and dump it all on the next caravan to arrive. Anyone know if letting the caravan get away with LOTS of profit is bad for your dwarven society?

Only bad if you hate migrants, really, but this is only efficient for stone masses in the 5k range or so. Plus it takes absolutely forever to stow the goods in bins, and the dwarves will all knock each other over accessing the same workshops.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

I like to mark all non-economic stone with a REACTION_CLASS (usually JUNK), create a reaction that eats JUNK and produces nothing, and just dedicate a smelter to tossing all that rock into the abyss.

Pros:
Works on any map, doesn't rely on magma/chasm access
Doesn't inflate my fortress wealth
Doesn't require micromanagement, that faithful furnace operator will track down every last pebble that's cluttering up my stockpiles

Cons:
Requires forethought (I've scrapped several forts after installing a new version because I forgot to add the reaction, and I'm too CDO to just modify the "rose gold from ore" reaction)
Eats more dwarf labor than just dumping rocks in a hole (same amount of hauling, plus the dwarf has to pick his nose in the smelter for a while)
Inflates dwarf skills

I know the skill isn't a big deal, since smelters don't produce quality, but maybe there's somebody out there who doesn't like cheating the economy, and this ranks up with record keeping for free Legendary status (and you don't have to maintain a revolving door, just enable the labor on every peasant and forget about it).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »

I used to rely on stone crafts and goblin trash to buy out caravans when I started playing. In adventure mode, stone crafts and narrow socks were everywhere. If you don't mind that go right ahead.

Zaranthan, can you give an example of how reaction classes can be applied? I might use your method too.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 05:58:07 pm »

I used to rely on stone crafts and goblin trash to buy out caravans when I started playing. In adventure mode, stone crafts and narrow socks were everywhere. If you don't mind that go right ahead.

Zaranthan, can you give an example of how reaction classes can be applied? I might use your method too.
Not sure if this is how Z does it, but my solution would go something like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CHEAT]
[NAME:Prospect stone]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:JUNK]
[PRODUCT:30:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
<repeat as needed>
[FUEL]
Turns useless stone into whatever metal I need. OTOH, there are more direct and equally cheaty ways to do that, using the METAL_ORE:<METAL> tag.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »

Not sure if this is how Z does it, but my solution would go something like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CHEAT]
[NAME:Prospect stone]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:JUNK]
[PRODUCT:30:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
<repeat as needed>
[FUEL]
Turns useless stone into whatever metal I need. OTOH, there are more direct and equally cheaty ways to do that, using the METAL_ORE:<METAL> tag.

This is what I do.

I prospect random useless stone into various types of metal. This lets me tidy up the fortress while getting my metal working industry up and running, and also gives me unlimited metal to work with assuming I have access to magma and water.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »

Nice, and how do you make all the stones belong to the junk class?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2