Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Follow that vein!  (Read 1070 times)

WyldKarde

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Follow that vein!
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

So here's the idea;  If while digging out my fortress I happen across some particular economic stone I want to dig out, I'd like to be able to tag it as 'follow-dig' (or a less clunky name if one can be thought of).  When a miner digs out a square that's been tagged as such and revealed square that's of the same type is automatically tagged the same way.  Result: Miners automatically follow and excavate the vein I've tagged.  This way I can neatly extract that mineral without having to either designate a huge area where I think the mineral is, or micromanage my miners square-by-square to get just the mineral in question.

Having just finished micromanaging the excavation of particularly long and twisty vein if bituminous coal I'm really feeling the need for this one.

-WK

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Re: Follow that vein!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

I like this idea. That would really help in my mining areas a lot.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

thirded.  And I want them to stop if they run into damp or warm stone.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

even better... allow to designate no dig tiles... so you won't accidentally include known damp tiles when selecting a huge area to be dug.

add a corresponding separate command to deselect the said danger zones

perhaps an option to autoflag known damp/etc tiles as the no dig/danger zone and stop notifying you.. for every single tile.

mind you.. it's damn funny when it happens though.. with your dwarves trying to dig their way away from the water and ultimately fail.

Morkilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

A 'Mining' designation (pretty much Dig, but only works on ores/gems) would be great.

WyldKarde

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Looks like Toady is way ahead of us on this one, hardly a surprise.  Bloat 218 is exactly what I suggested here.
-WK

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

Of course, what you suggested here has been suggested dozens of times.  So don't get too full of yourself.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

Actually, I think a better feature would be somewhat of an inverse of this.  Instead of a designation that spreads along a vein, how about a designation that works exactly like Dig except it only works on veins.

You'd tag a big area that you want to mine with it, and the dwarves would automatically remove that designation in areas that are plain stone.

It has the advantage of not having a chance of the vein going somewhere you don't want it, but the disadvantage of not being able to select one vein when there are two veins in the same area.