Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: US House passes Health Care bill  (Read 22175 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: US House passes Health Care bill
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:52 am »

So did anyone read the new report on HFCS?  Of course the corn growers object to it...

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2010, 10:19:20 am »

Interesting. Kinda corroborates my experience - it was a lot easier losing weight when I didn't have money for soda. Of course I didn't have money for food, either, then :D

I'm curious about one thing, if Aqizzar is still reading this topic - the 80% figure for medical expenses you mentioned a while back is incredible, and yeah, I don't think people are considering it. Amazing how quickly attention spans wander. Do you have an article link for it? That would really cut down the fat insurance companies carry around - I wonder how quickly some of them would flounder under their own weight given their current "expenses" *coughcoughcough* Now there just needs to be some pressure on the IRS to audit the lot of them after a full fiscal year to see if they're actually complying ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2010, 11:20:43 am »

Haha, I've been saying that about HFCS for years.  Overlay two graphs, one of the increasing use of High Fructose Corn Syrup and one of obesity rates, and they correlate incredibly closely.  Good to know that its ill effects are finally coming into the public spotlight.  It's too bad though; it's in nearly everything here, and since actual sugar is so expensive to import or grow here, if a movement against HFCS catches steam food prices will rise overall, while if it doesn't, it's very likely that we'll just keep getting unhealthy. :/

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

Eat less sweet things.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

Eat less sweet things.

Isn't that what the anti-HFCS stuff really boils down to?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:52 am »

No, because the claim is that it's specific types of sugar that are disproportionally bad for you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

Eat less sweet things.
Do you consider bread sweet?  Most bread you find in the supermarket has HFCS in it.
Look at Wonder bread for instance: http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/wonder-bread-soft-100percent-whole-wheat-10660.htm

It's near impossible to avoid HFCS in the supermarket today.  You'd be surprised what foods contain it.

HFCS is so cheap because of government corn subsidies and tariffs on import sugars.  It keeps the farmers growing corn...so the government throws money into it, thus reducing the cost to industry.  The industry wants to keep the bottom line, so they use what's cheapest.  I'm not even going to argue my thoughts on this... you probably already know what they are.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2010, 11:48:35 am »

I can't find it in anything in the UK. Well, most things I regularly nom upon.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:17 am »

It's probably why you guys aren't struggling with obesity issues and less to do with the claim that we are "lazy yanks". ;)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:33 pm »

Ick, do people actually eat Wonder bread?  The mere sight of that stuff has always made my blood run cold.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

I just got into a debate with someone over facebook over healthcare. Once he mentioned; that both wars, in Afghanistan and Iraq, were good, that I needed to read my bible to see and that all Muslims are terrorists. I stopped arguing. You can't reason with an extremist religious fanatic.

The true problem America faces are these insane people.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »

I just got into a debate with someone over facebook over healthcare. Once he mentioned; that both wars, in Afghanistan and Iraq, were good, that I needed to read my bible to see and that all Muslims are terrorists. I stopped arguing. You can't reason with an extremist religious fanatic.

Thats when you stop taking it seriously and argue with him for the lulz.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »

It's probably why you guys aren't struggling with obesity issues and less to do with the claim that we are "lazy yanks". ;)
Well, we aren't struggling as much. We're still a lazy bunch who eat too much.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »

Thats when you stop taking it seriously and argue with him for the lulz.

I did. I told him I don't negotiate with Neo-Con Terrorists.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »

Nah, every country's got 'em, we're not particularly unique in that regard. :P  We just need to keep up our education standards, work on making everyone smarter and all that good stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20