Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagons and pressure plates  (Read 1654 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagons and pressure plates
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:06:53 am »

How can I make a pressure plate that is triggered by wagons? I've tried "Creatures (including civilians) trigger; size 7+" on both the centre tile and edge tiles of the 3-wide path.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Wagons and pressure plates
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:06 am »

What you can do is set up two paths: one with a chokepoint that blocks wagons, but is a faster route, and another which is longer (and possibly with traffic designation) and wider, making it the only path for the wagons, and the wagons are the only ones to use it. I believe that the pack-animals will take the shorter path, though.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:47:10 am »

I can confirm on the pack animals. But I belive that is not realy the point here, why non the less helpfull for a workaround as I belive that wagons dont trigger pressure plates.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:43:58 am »

So you are implying that wagons actually are hovering?
Interesting.. ;D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:14:19 pm »

if they do, they hover to the extent of an airboat, as they are not able to fly.  ;)
I was revering to the fact that wagons, as the only multiple tile creature, have their very own set of reality they adhere to.
And in this reality, for instance if you remove a bridge from under an wagon, it will instandly collapse into a singularity, as they dont know how to react (spilling their load everywhere, man that was a mess to clean up). So with that in mind, i assume that they dont care about nuances like pressure plates.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:17:09 pm by Spectre »

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:11:05 pm »

if they do, they hover to the extent of an airboat, as they are not able to fly.  ;)
And in this reality, for instance if you remove a bridge from under an wagon, it will instandly collapse into a singularity, as they dont know how to react (spilling their load everywhere, man that was a mess to clean up). So with that in mind, i assume that they dont care about nuances like pressure plates.

This I must try now, I hope you know.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:54 pm »

Last I heard, retracting a bridge under a wagon doesn't work, the bridge just waits until the wagon is off of it, even if that means that the bridge has to wait more steps than usual to accommodate for the wagon.
Another experiment showed that bridges support other bridges, and this was used to try and drop a wagon into a bottomless pit. When the wagon was fully on the center "span" of the bridge-a retracting bridge supported on both sides by raising bridges-and the supporting bridges were raised, the center span fell away, leaving the wagon flying there until a bridge was built under it.
This is what I remember from a previous experiment with bridges and wagons.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »

And in this reality, for instance if you remove a bridge from under an wagon, it will instandly collapse into a singularity, as they dont know how to react (spilling their load everywhere, man that was a mess to clean up).

Hey, at least they weren't modded to hold more crap this one took me an entire year to clean up.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:00:13 am »

I did this in 40D16. Not sure about you, but my wagon eather riped appart or just disapiered, flinging his crap everywhere.
Also retracting bridges cant be suported only by other bridges. I discovered this as I tried to build a trap chamber for invasions to dump them into magma.
It was a large room, the size so you can fit in a max stretched out bridge and still have space to the wall. I removed the floor and made the bridge only accesable over raising bridges, that would block of the exits. Or so was the plan anyway. I had to leave a single pillar standing for the retracting bridge to be build upon.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:13:50 am »

I did this in 40D16. Not sure about you, but my wagon eather riped appart or just disapiered, flinging his crap everywhere.
Also retracting bridges cant be suported only by other bridges. I discovered this as I tried to build a trap chamber for invasions to dump them into magma.
It was a large room, the size so you can fit in a max stretched out bridge and still have space to the wall. I removed the floor and made the bridge only accesable over raising bridges, that would block of the exits. Or so was the plan anyway. I had to leave a single pillar standing for the retracting bridge to be build upon.

I think it might only be other retracting bridges that will support a retracting bridge attached to nothing else.  I've used them on the floor of a chasm to be able to mass-deconstruct the stairs I built to smooth all the walls, I built them all  one tile away from the edges and they stayed up even when their surrounding stairs were gone.  Maybe raising bridges don't support anything, although why they should be different I can't imagine.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:28:28 am »

Or maybe retracting bridges dont have a cave in check  ???
Well I dont know. But this seems to me a case for...
(Superman tune)
DWARVEN SCIENCE!!

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:29:52 am »

I believe the only way to have a wagon trigger a pressure plate would be to have the animals pulling it trigger the plate (which would obviously lead to a lot of collateral damage).

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:38 am »

I believe the only way to have a wagon trigger a pressure plate would be to have the animals pulling it trigger the plate (which would obviously lead to a lot of collateral damage).
Good point. I should try a size 6+ (dwarves are size 5) pressure plate
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:27 am »

Dwarves are size 6. Also I don't believe pack animals will trigger pressure plates. I had a system like the one below to funnel trap avoiders into one corridor and have dwarves, trap-sensitives, and other friendlies take the other route.

Code: [Select]
[entrance]
#+++#
#^^^#
##c## (c=floor hatch)
#+++#

It didn't work except on dwarves. I can't remember if the pack animals that accompany wagons follow the wagon's pathing or take the shortest route (this was installed recently and I've been under siege).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.