Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why yes! It is yet another Fortress Mode Video Let's Play!  (Read 3597 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why yes! It is yet another Fortress Mode Video Let's Play!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »

I also love your snarking. It's almost Jamie(from Mythbusters)esque.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:05:56 pm »

Loving the video. If and when you get new migrants, and if you start a military, can I be a marksdwarf?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »

I also love your snarking. It's almost Jamie(from Mythbusters)esque.
Unfortunately, my face is not graced by a moustache nor my scalp by a beret. That is, however, a compliment of the highest order. I thank thee, dear fellow.

And since I am posting here, that probably means that a new episode is done, you may be thinking to yourself! And you would be right! First, give yourself a pat on the back for being so clever, and then, watch Episode 5 of Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZQSbyeoo8
(in the second stage of processing as I type this, which means it's readable but not very good)

I do have a bit of a problem however - this fort is dwindling rapidly (spoilers!), and more and more dwarves are being requested! So, if I don't get the chance to make your dwarf, I'll try my best and get everyone back for the next DF Let's Play that I'll be doing when the new version comes out. It is very close to release, or at least that's the word on the streets, so if this population hemorrhaging continues, I'll see you all in the next version!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:21 am »

Heh can i get a dwarf to? also you can forbid dwarves from drinking from any water through the O menu. They will only drink/fist from designated squares which is a dwarf saver on water maps.

I would suggest making an underground path connecting the map encase you get some migrants/wagons on the wrong side of the river as building bridges with carps is never a good idea.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 02:59:40 am »

Aye. At least the deaths are hilarious!
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:14:06 am »

I'm still alive and leader of the expedition, wohoo!  :D

By the way, if the release does come very soon-ish and you eventually decide to start over please warns us so we can petition new dwarfs and such.
Also, where exactly have you read it might be coming this week, i've only read around that it's coming "soon"...

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:46 am »

DUDE, ARE THOSE HIPPOS IN YOUR MURKY POOLS?!?

HIPPOS ROCK
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:25:56 am by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 12:38:57 pm »

So I'm just starting Ep 3 now, really liking it so far. That river system is pretty amazing, and your fortress design is really interesting. I too am a fan of round shapes, but I've never seen anything like your bedroom design. I'm sure it's far from efficient, because one tile hallways aaaaa, but the way it spirals out is just so damn cool looking.

If you wanna name someone after me, I wouldn't mind a farmer.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »

One thing I recommend is, if/when you do go to DF2010, try and see if you can't gen this site again. I know you won't be able to use a previous save since it'll be incompatible, but hopefully you'll see a similar awesome river confluence when regenned. (Though as we all know, that's not guaranteed...)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 08:14:51 pm »

I'm still alive and leader of the expedition, wohoo!  :D

By the way, if the release does come very soon-ish and you eventually decide to start over please warns us so we can petition new dwarfs and such.
Also, where exactly have you read it might be coming this week, i've only read around that it's coming "soon"...

Don't worry, I'll post it pretty far in advance when I shift. Well, now he's said it on the devlog that it'll be within the week, but when I posted that he had said it in a post in the Fotf list.

One thing I recommend is, if/when you do go to DF2010, try and see if you can't gen this site again. I know you won't be able to use a previous save since it'll be incompatible, but hopefully you'll see a similar awesome river confluence when regenned. (Though as we all know, that's not guaranteed...)

You know, that isn't a bad idea at all - if I can find a similar site, but with all of the new features, that'd be fantastic.

HIPPOS ROCK

Yes. Yes those are. And no. No they do not.

Heh can i get a dwarf to? also you can forbid dwarves from drinking from any water through the O menu. They will only drink/fist from designated squares which is a dwarf saver on water maps.

I would suggest making an underground path connecting the map encase you get some migrants/wagons on the wrong side of the river as building bridges with carps is never a good idea.

And ah... I forgot that that was in the orders menu. Thanks for the tip! I don't know if I'll make the underground road - although it is a good idea. I might just make a raised road instead, because that'd show up in a visualizer better, and of course that's what really matters.

Anyway, no video tonight, I just got home from spending 3+ hours making balloon animals/hats/etc for children... My hands ache and I am unbelievably tired. I'll try to do as many as I can tommorrow and on Sunday, because I want to get far enough to make it worth it before the new version comes out. Thanks for the comments and for watching my LPs!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:18:02 pm by jarathor »

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:20 pm »

HIPPOS ROCK

Maybe not for you, i on the other hand have plans to make an army of war hippos as a defense system in my next fortress.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:11 pm »

HIPPOS ROCK

maybe not for you, i on the other hand have plans to make an army of war hippos as a main defense in my next fortress.

Haha, that'd be awesome - I can't imagine how many dwarves I would lose trying to pull that off though, since at least one hippo (probably 2) has tasted dwarven blood in my fort by now.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 12:54:10 am »

Totally need to trap and train them hippos as well as preserve your fish! i suggest creating a giant indoor lake with some sort of thing to trap the fish inside of it. You could dump sieges into the indoor lake watching the carp tear everything apart.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:32 am »

Better yet, to expand on arghy's comment, a indoor lake situation on a lower z level, surrounded by meeting hall areas so your trained hippos can lounge around in the water, maybe the lake could be fed directly from the outside river hence producing a multiple z-level waterfall and subsequent mist... hmmm...

jclark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jclark.org/weblog/
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »

Excellent videos.  I for one love the ascii tileset.  Which one are you using?
warf Fortress 0.27.176.38c on Mac OS X 10.4.11 PPC (Woohoo!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3