Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why yes! It is yet another Fortress Mode Video Let's Play!  (Read 3596 times)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why yes! It is yet another Fortress Mode Video Let's Play!
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:46:43 pm »

Hello everybody! If you've visited the Curses subforum recently, you'll know that I've started a Let's Play channel on Youtube, and that I've started a brand new Fortress Mode Let's Play! As of now there are only 3 episodes, but I'm uploading them at a farily good rate. I wasn't quite sure which would be the most appropriate subforum for this topic, so if it should be somewhere else, let me know.

Anyway, below the link are some Stonesense and Visual Fortress screenshots to show the area I picked - it's got magma (as of yet undiscovered), 2 rivers complete with waterfall and a weird 3-way fork, sand, Hippos, and Carp! This place has great possibilities, and I'm hopeful that this fort will last long enough to get there. I'm playing vanilla, so no surprises there. I guess that's it, please leave comments, suggestions, or dwarf requests here or on my channel! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B7E7260B67913846

Visualizer Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Why yes! It is yet another Fortress Mode Video Let's Play!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:23:55 pm »

Fun to watch, looking forward to more :).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:43:51 am »

Yeah, I like it. The river water fall thing is awesome, make it into a drowning pool or witch test or something :D
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:28:48 am »

It might be useful to set up an outdoor walkway that goes past the waterfall and leads to the dorms or some other critical stockpile - maybe even put your fortress entrance on one side, and delve down so everyone has to cross near/under the mist to get into your fort.  That way everyone coming and going gets a happy thought from the mist.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:25:23 pm »

I like the setting. My current fortress is near a brook, although its on the other side of the map from the mountains my fortress is in. I'll have to try and get something like that on my next one.

On another note, I like your bedroom design. I recently finished building a fractal bedroom level manually, so I'm looking for something more efficient.
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

Thanks for all the comments, guys! A new video will be up soon - if I don't get it finished up tonight, it'll be up tommorrow morning. Stay tuned!
I think that's a good idea to put my dwarves on a path through the free mist - I think I'll be doing just that!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »

Excellent stuff. I have subscribed on the Yew-tewb. Also your voice is awesome, as is the choice of music.

What I love the most about it is the design you're going with. It's much more organic than, say, mine, which is pretty much all squares.

EDITFU: Oooh, oooh, I almost forgot: please name a Dwarf after me, when you get a new one to name. I don't particularly care about the occupation, so go nuts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:18:21 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:49:04 am »

Hahaha its ahrd to watch because i constantly want to micro manage what your doing--THE HIPPO! QUICK FIND THE HIPPO! I'm amazed at the fortress designs. I always thought people used programs to do it but you did it by hand so fast! i gotta practice that.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:44 am »

That's a pretty cool site you have there. Could I get a dwarf named after me?
If sad, apply kittens.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:11 am »

I'm subscribed to your youtube channel; couple of things:

- how about using mayday's tileset? It looks great and makes watching even more enjoyable.
 - can I get a dwarf named after me? :)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »

Yeah the ACSII is glaring compared to the smoothness of maydays.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 06:13:13 pm »

Hello again! Episode 4 is uploading as I type this, so hopefully by the time you see this it'll already be up. Thanks for all of the comments guys. I actually recorded this before I saw a few posts here, so apologies to those who I didn't name yet (Sir Broccoli, Grif, and anyone I forgot (please remind me if I did)). Anyway, this is probably the least eventful episode yet, so if you must skip one, skip this one. Anyway, here it is folks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGkGUtI6lM
Enjoy the stretches of monotony that I didn't edit out! It really isn't that bad, I just like using hyperbole.

About switching to a graphical tileset, I haven't used one in a long time... I'll think about switching, but I'm not sure if I'll just use Mayday's graphics wholly - I made some graphics of my own to fit in with the Mayday tileset a while back, so I'll see if I can find those. Anyway, if people do think it'll make the viewing easier, I'll switch - these are for your enjoyment after all, even if they are really fun to make.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

Question about recording, how do you set it to record both your voice and your computers audio?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »

Well, it's actually only recording from my mic - when I need the sound from the game to be heard, I just turn up the volume on my speakers. I know it's an inefficient way to do it, but that's the only option that Cam Studio (essentially a freeware program that does the same thing as Fraps) can do. I'm pretty sure Fraps has an option to record both the speaker's output and the mic's input, but Fraps is also not free.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:29:03 pm »

Beautiful so far.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore
Pages: [1] 2 3