Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New "Dwarf Heaven": Griffonseals  (Read 2354 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
New "Dwarf Heaven": Griffonseals
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:48:39 pm »

I've found what may well be a new Dwarf Heaven.  The fort I made on it the randomizer called Griffonseals, so I figured I'd just call it that.  It was genned with vanilla 40d.  Here's a quick breakdown:

Biomes: Temperate Freshwater Swamp, Mountain
Temperature Range: Warm to Hot
Savagery Range: Untamed Wilds
Good/Evil Range: Neutral
Rainfall Levels: Medium
Drainage Levels: Unknown, probably medium
Tree Density: Forested on the west side
Plantlife Diversity: Extensive; I found most of the crop types were present
Immediate Neighbors: None (Humans and Goblins both live somewhat nearby)
Z-Levels: 44 above lowest aboveground level
Features: Sand, brook, magma pipe, underground river, bottomless pit, HFS, flux, Bauxite, cave spiders, and a GCS

Soils: Yellow Sand, Silty Clay Loam, Silty Clay
Layers: Basalt, Granite, Limestone, Gneiss, Slate, Quartzile, Diorite, Gabbro, Phyllite
Deposits: Alunite, Microcline, Orthoclase, Kaolinite, Mica, Jet, Olivine, Bauxite
Veins: Cinnabar, Kimberlite, Chromite, Cobaltite
Patches: Obsidian, Pitchblende, Calcite, Serpentine, Hornblende, Pyrolusite
Ores: Native Aluminum, Bismuthinite, Cassiterite, Native Copper, Galena, Garnierite, Native Gold, Hematite, Magnetite, Malachite, Native Platinum, Native Silver, Horn Silver, Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite
Gemstones: Brown Jasper, Carnelian, Chrysocolla, Milk Opal, Moonstone, Moss Opal, Onyx, Plume Agate, Rock Crystal, Sunstone, Turquoise, Variscite, Wood Opal, Yellow Jasper, Alexandrite, Almandine, Amethyst, Bandfire Opal, Black Pyrope, Black Zircon, Blue Garnet, Clear Garnet, Clear Zircon, Demantoid, Green Tourmaline, Harlequin Opal, Jelly Opal, Levin Opal, Morganite, Peridot, Pinfire Opal, Pink Garnet, Pink Tourmaline, Purple Spinel, Red Beryl, Red Pyrope, Red Spinel, Red Tourmaline, Red Zircon, Rhodolite, Tanzanite, Violet Spessartine, Yellow Spessartine, Yellow Zircon, Faint Yellow Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire

Notably missing: evil or good biome status, lignite/coal

Embark and 3D Visualization:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worldgen Entry:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:25:49 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: New "Dwarf Heaven": Griffonseals
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:48 pm »

I think part of what makes it Dwarf Heaven, though, is that it also has magma pools and chasm and such.

I have one that's fairly similar to yours, although it's got a mirthful shrubland instead of untamed wilds, and I have coal and a chasm, but only 42 z-levels.

Plus I have an elf queen and cosmopolitan goblin civs.

Might as well post mine, too:

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »

I guess my standards for Dwarf Heaven are a bit different than most, then.  To me, it implies a site with a lot of interesting potential.  A site that has every (or nearly every) map feature isn't nearly as interesting to me as a site with 9 different layer types, every metal ore, a plethora of interesting gemstones, and at least one version of each interesting feature (hopefully the more useful of the two each time; it's debatable as to whether a chasm trumps a bottomless pit, really).
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »

Oh, right, well, I forgot that I don't have a GCS (not where I embarked, anyway, maybe if you made an embark on a wider area to get more of the chasm...).

I didn't go out of my way to count all the different kinds of opals I have, but, really, I have access to basically every kind of metal in large quantities, except of course, the really rare ones, which I just have in moderate quantities, thanks to the granite, gabbro, chalk, marble, and rhyolite/andesite layers.

With that combination of layers, there's pretty much nothing besides the actual layer stones that you can't find.  (Umm... sunstone, sylvite, and talc, apparently.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

Err, I'm having some trouble finding my Worldgen file...halp?
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 12:44:04 am »

A site that has every (or nearly every) map feature isn't nearly as interesting to me as a site with 9 different layer types, every metal ore, a plethora of interesting gemstones, and at least one version of each interesting feature (hopefully the more useful of the two each time; it's debatable as to whether a chasm trumps a bottomless pit, really).

I concur. Going along with that, though, is that since everyone's map preferences are different, the only true way to define the most 'heavenly' map would be by features per region tile. It's a great map, but only high amounts of features can make it the best for everyone. I've never much liked the Dwarf Heaven map myself anyhow. Plus I can't deal with anything less than like 40 aboveground levels :P

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:44:44 am »

(Game Directory)\data\init\world_gen.txt

Just paste the entry into the bottom of the file.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:52:33 am »

(Game Directory)\data\init\world_gen.txt

Just paste the entry into the bottom of the file.
I don't have that :/

EDIT: Copied it from a different version of DF, so, I'm good.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:54:58 am by ShadowLuigi147 »
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:55:29 am »

EDIT: Well ok, then.

Man, this is one outrageously bumpy map. Pretty busy, as well. Hopefully I won't get severe FPS-murder.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:13:39 am by SenorOcho »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:13:58 am »

I guess my standards for Dwarf Heaven are a bit different than most, then.  To me, it implies a site with a lot of interesting potential.  A site that has every (or nearly every) map feature isn't nearly as interesting to me as a site with 9 different layer types, every metal ore, a plethora of interesting gemstones, and at least one version of each interesting feature (hopefully the more useful of the two each time; it's debatable as to whether a chasm trumps a bottomless pit, really).

I like to have either (chasm or BPit), but I PREFER the very uncommon situation where they aren't open to the sky and/or visible. It's far more "Fun" when you stumble across them accidentally when digging out a section of your fort. . .
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 10:30:06 am »

I like to have either (chasm or BPit), but I PREFER the very uncommon situation where they aren't open to the sky and/or visible. It's far more "Fun" when you stumble across them accidentally when digging out a section of your fort. . .

I happen to agree, but it's pretty hard to find a good spread of features that are all hidden.  Trying to find all that plus a large mix of ores and minerals is pretty much akin to trying to find a specific needle in a stack of identical needles.
Sanity is for the weak.

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 10:40:58 am »

Maybe this is a good place to share some nice sites I've found...

1. The Planet Of Souls - volcano, HFS, bottomless pit, chasm, 22 above-ground z-levels

The mountains are obsidian/gabbro/diorite (temperate, untamed wilds). The green tiles are temperate freshwater marsh: silty clay loam/felsite/marble/granite, woodland, untamed wilds. As you can see from the picture below, moving the embark one square south gets you an additional magma pool, at the expense of losing half of your trees.

The highest mountain peak is at z165. The top of the magma pipe is at z150. You embark at z145. The bottom of the vally is at z143, and it goes down to z128.

Overview, from around the northeast corner:

Here's the volcano and bottomless pit, with a embark-tile square plateau between them that's just begging for an outdoor megaproject. In the foreground you can see the brook cutting a 9-z canyon.

Next to the square plateau, under the mountain side, is something both hidden and fun. It's quite high in the mountain - higher than your embark point. You have to dig up to find it, and there's more z-levels below it than above.

The volcano causes a cave-in upon striking the earth, exposing the chasm - a one-tile chasm, round like a bottomless pit. The cave-in leaves a nice overhang over the chasm.

Worldgen: (genned in 40d16, it's a standard medium world, all you really need are the seeds)

Embark location:

And for all those who diss the site finder: this was a natural hit on the finder. :P

Now I'm off to see if I can dig up the save with the giant cliff face...

Edit: found it!

2. The Enchanted Dimensions - magma pipe, HFS, underground river, underground chasm, 20-z cliff

The mountains are basalt/obsidian/granite and mirthful. The green tiles are silty clay loam/chalk/diorite/gabbro, wilderness woodland. It's an 8x8 embark to get all the features and a good number of tree/sedimentary tiles, though you can fit all the features in 6x8 (or even 5x8 if you don't need the brook).

Here's the cliff face... not perfectly vertical, but I think it has megaproject potential.

You can see the beginning of my fort at the base of the cliff. That's where you embark.

Worldgen: (like above, standard 40d16 medium world, all you need are the seeds)

Embark:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:28:45 am by SinisterMinisterX »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:48 am »

Issunnir - The Everlasting Land.

Trying to regen the world in 40d16 made for some interesting divergences in history.  To the point where my dwarf civ conquered the northwest corner of the map, and no Elf Queen ever rose to the throne.

It also seems to make my chasm not "go to the top" of the mountain for some reason.

Anyway, here's a visualizer version of the land.  If you don't embark a fairly wide/narrow embark, you'll wind up with what basically amounts to a plataeu that rises 11 floors above "ground level".  Making the embark wider makes a little spire appear that raises the ceiling a few more floors, if that would make you more interested, Retro, but I didn't do the sort of worldgen meddling that would make things like Undergrotto possible, since this was just my first fort.

I also made sure the chasm was still there, it's just buried under 8 floors of stone, that's all.

Once again, nice features include:

* Underground river 8 floors above ground level.
* Every form of metal in quantities as plentiful as it gets in DF
* Potentially almost every gem, although I haven't gone through and checked specifically
* Mirthful shrubland, so you get Unicorns
* Magma pipe, bottomless pit, chasm, HFS

All in all, not a bad place to start a dwarving career.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare