Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making Rocks have 0 value.  (Read 2174 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Making Rocks have 0 value.
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »

So I just figured out how to boil rocks as I was digging them away.

This lead to two discoveries:

1.) The game is more enjoyable when I don't spend 5 years hauling rocks out of my warehouse areas.

2.) Rocks count for most of your fortress wealth in a large area fortress.

If each Rock is worth 3 or 6 or 9 depending on type, then a 10 x 10 room is 300 600 or 900. Wide hallways alone become enormously "valuable."

I have mined out an enormous fort with no rocks (all boiled away) and my fort value is a mere 30 K....I maintain that this rock value is a key reason for enormous immigrant waves and attacks. Moreover, this is ridiculous, because Rocks are incredibly abundant to the point dwarves are swimming in them. Thus, even without supply and demand in game, they shouldn't be worth so much.

Thus, my question is, how do I make rocks worth less?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Rocks have 0 value.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:31 pm »

Add [VALUE:0] to most rocks and they'll be... Well, completely worthless. There's at least one mod I've seen that reduces the value of all stones by 1 across the board, though that's a fairly big modding job just by itself due to how many stones there are. Regardless, as you say, reducing rock value does hurt your fortress wealth quite a bit.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »

I think that's what he wants to lower his fortress wealth, like he said, he doesn't want such massive immigrant waves and invasions so early one just because he dug a lot.
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

Add [VALUE:0] to most rocks and they'll be... Well, completely worthless. There's at least one mod I've seen that reduces the value of all stones by 1 across the board

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1546

I believe stone_minerals are left untouched.

You might also want to drop the value of ore below a third of its metal, so that there is actually some gains from smelting it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »

Dropping the value of stones to 0 will have the side effect of allowing you to take an enourmous amount of them with you when you embark though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:59:08 pm »

Dropping the value of stones to 0 will have the side effect of allowing you to take an enourmous amount of them with you when you embark though.

While true, who would? You swim in them as it is.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »

While true, who would? You swim in them as it is.

Well some rocks are more valuable than others. Either for their appearance with constructions to things like Bauxite, which you can't actually embark with anyway.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »

So? You can have hundreds of stones in the first five minutes of a fort. If you want to bring an extra thousand to have lying around your caravan it's not hurting anyone but your FPS.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

I did this once, I think used the replace feature in notepad.  Definately did notice a drop in migrants and it was alot harder to buy stuff the first year.  I found that setting stone to boil at room temp caused a noticable but small FPS drop when mining was going on, but just boiling it away once every couple year caused the occasional artifact to evaporate (oddly, no bad thoughts).  Bringing tons of rock on embark is handy if you want to set aquifiers to easy mode or bring a megaton of bauxite for fun times with magma. 

Personally I think that everything made in your fort should have its value halved to make migrants less swarmy and caravans less easy to buy, but thats a different issue.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:26:18 pm »

I did this, and the biggest difficulty was the lower value of the rooms, which made a tantrum spiral more likely.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:30:07 pm »

On the plus side, you can ensure every dwarf can afford to rent a room with a cabinet and chest, to keep their crap out of your way. I don't know whether to consider this an exploit or not.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:47 am »

On the plus side, you can ensure every dwarf can afford to rent a room with a cabinet and chest, to keep their crap out of your way. I don't know whether to consider this an exploit or not.

I'd consider it sane. Egads, next they'll want a set of clothing that doesn't cost many years salary. :P

I've often thought pricing was screwed up in game. If you're not legendary, you're a peed on peon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:38:34 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:13 am »

Good morning!

I've often thought pricing was screwed up in game. If you're not legendary, you're a peed on peon.

You are far from alone. It's widely accepted that the economy is badly out of whack, and it WILL eventually be fixed by Toady, once he has implemented all the functionality he has in mind. In the meantime, a number of folks have attempted to deal with it in various ways, with differing levels of success. The value reduction mod linked above is a very interesting start, and I'm seriously thinking about playing a game with it just to see how it flies. I personally like to keep my dwarves happy, so I turn off rent so everybody can have a nice room. I've also given serious thought to modding OUT all clothes and cloth-making, since that is another system that is badly out of whack. Or I might just change clothes over to all-leather, since they don't wear out so bloody fast!

The great thing about DF is that, if you don't like something, it's quite likely you can change it!

Rochndil, working on his MMO mod in little bits of borrowed time...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »

I'd consider it sane. Egads, next they'll want a set of clothing that doesn't cost many years salary. :P

Really, the only way of advancement is to either be one of the starting dwarves, with a massive headstart on skills, get a mood, or have a niche skill that lets you level up without competition from higher level dwarves. I just roll my eyes every time a hopefull novice gem setter comes marching onto the map, determined to run my legendary one out of business.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »

Though to be fair, thats fairly representative of the iron-age style world this game is set in.
Pages: [1] 2