Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.  (Read 60923 times)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Re: So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2010, 06:12:00 pm »

na, i prefer mine, and anyway, the magma will find it's way in somwhere....
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »

Sorry for huge bump, but has anyone tested this for 6?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:26 am »

Sorry for huge bump, but has anyone tested this for 6?
Melting a bolt gives you 0.3 [insert bolt material], but good luck getting your marksdwarves to shoot anything. Tested with my latest batch of goblinite.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

Thanks. I'll just have to be poised for when marksdwarves get fixed. Bone bolts, anyone?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2011, 12:56:16 am »

hah, i remember this, i suppose after i've used up the 263k addy my fort has i'll resort to this....
or erm, reaction mod some
Edit: oh so that red message as i posted was the necro warning, go figure...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2011, 02:45:15 am »

Hmm, I only read up to page 4 so this may have been mentioned but, wouldn't windows be far easier to use than the doors? I'm fairly certain things still try shoot through windows but the bolts just bounce off.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2011, 03:29:35 am »

Creatures can SEE through windows, but nothing will try to SHOOT through windows.  You could use fortifications, you just need to replace the target, and more often as your marksdwarfs get better.  This is more complicated, but saves on goblins.  The spare goblins can be given to melee squads for "sparring", heh, heh. :P

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:31 am »

Nah, fortifications won't work. They just limit the range of shooting at the target. If shooter stand farther than that range, he'll just refuse to fire, if he comes closer he'll shoot with the same accuracy as if no fortifications were present.
If you make a single fortification in the wall and make goblin running back and forth, dwarves will display unusual intelligence and will shoot only when standing right next to it. If you issue a kill order, they may try to get behind that wall but still won't attempt  a guaranteed miss shots.
Thus the setup in the OP is perfect.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

SombreNote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 10:04:36 am »

So I am confused as to how the levels work.

The goblin is on a puller. So around him is one z level lower.
The door dwarf is at the same height as the goblin, running around his little circle of raised level. (I assume there will be a ramp or a door up there for him.

The mark dwarf is all the way across the map at the same level.

But my question is how do you keep the mark dwarf at the correct distance? Is he up a level or something? I would expect there to be a huge ditch in front of him so that he could not run to the goblin and get closer.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 05:24:28 am »

Extremely exploity

But when you make that tower, post it in victory.

Bonus points for building an adamantine dreadnought in an ocean if you have one.  Any water will do though D:.

Or magma.  Magma for extra points!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 08:16:31 am »

So I am confused as to how the levels work.

The goblin is on a puller. So around him is one z level lower.
The door dwarf is at the same height as the goblin, running around his little circle of raised level. (I assume there will be a ramp or a door up there for him.

The mark dwarf is all the way across the map at the same level.

But my question is how do you keep the mark dwarf at the correct distance? Is he up a level or something? I would expect there to be a huge ditch in front of him so that he could not run to the goblin and get closer.
Fortifications and a locked room I assume.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:32 am »

Since somebody renecro'd this again i just have to ask, was anybody else wondering what EliDupree was doing with that adamantium?
Screenshots from stonesense would be awesome, but since he's been away for months i'll just have to be satisfied with this:

What kind of things have you done with valuable materials just because you can? I'm talking paved roads of adamantine type things.

Yeah, well, after the traders travel my adamantine-paved road, climb up the adamantine ramp, cross the adamantine bridge to the obsidian platform, pass under the adamantine sphinx, and then down via more adamantine ramps and over adamantine floor bars into my fortress, THEN they arrive in a room with walls and floor of solid gold, and proceed to the trade depot in the center of the room, which is made of pure platinum. (I'm afraid the golden room isn't very opulent in our terms - just a 9x9x1 affair - but it seemed pretty classic and I was tired of adamantine.)

The only way further into the fortress is through a masterwork golden door. I suppose I should have studded it with more gold, but I forgot that that was possible. On the other side of the door are the remains of an automatic kobold killing trap that did not work.
Edit: ok i found his thread Re: Eli Dupree, Dwarven Physicist has created Keshanúgath, an Adamantine Sphinx!  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51788.msg1116313#msg1116313
which includes this rather awesome screenshot:
Here's the map:  http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8307-darkmirror-sphinx_fortress

The visualizer images were a bit disappointing - too blocky to really make out much.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:22:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

So if we're being all exploity, why not just use dftubefill? Oh, you didn't know it filled not just the naturally empty tubes, but the pillars you've mined out, too? Mine, fill, repeat. HFS of a lot easier than melting down bolts.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »

So if we're being all exploity, why not just use dftubefill? Oh, you didn't know it filled not just the naturally empty tubes, but the pillars you've mined out, too? Mine, fill, repeat. HFS of a lot easier than melting down bolts.
You seem to fail to realize just when this trick was discovered. March 11, 2010 is the datestamp on the first post. Version 31.01, the first version that included adamantine tubes, came out on April 1st, 2010, 3 weeks after this trick was first posted, and, in fact, more than a year before dftubefill was created (that is one of the more recent tools). Not to mention, of course, that the dfhack library consists mostly of outright cheats, including dftubefill, while the exploit outlined here is only an exploit, meaning it's significantly more kosher in many people's eyes than using dfhack for infinite adamantine, which is really on the same level as making an outright free adamantine generator reaction. I mean, if we're cheating, why not just have a free adamantine reaction? HFS of a lot easier than filling the tubes, mining them out, and repeating, after all.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2016, 01:09:10 am »

excuse necro but, due to monsters being able to jump AND the fiddly pitting behavior,  there's a slight adjustment to this legit but clearly exploit-y trick.

a 3x3 platform plus 2 tile gap is the only honest modifications needed. although a 3x3 landing/holding space is a tad eh...
lastly, why isn't levers set to repeat, used for the doors?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9