Advanced search  

Poll

Should we start over with new version?

Yes
No
Don't care
What's that?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Dyebraves (Histories of Vomit and Insanity)  (Read 10686 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyebraves (Histories of Vomit and Insanity)
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 11:56:10 pm »

I need the save by either today or tomorow, so it looks like i'll just have to give it a miss this time and float around for awhile

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2010, 12:01:01 am »

Hmm... If I play for several hours straight, I may be able to get it to you tomorrow. I'll do my best, but I cannot make an promises.
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2010, 03:25:03 am »

Good enough for me, thanks.  :P

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2010, 08:47:58 am »

Yes, page 9, finally! Awesome.

You have no idea how many times I check this daily.

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2010, 01:31:41 am »

Dyebraves: Year 4

My petition for creative and organizational control of the hole in the ground known as Dyebraves has finally returned from the Mountainhome. Status: accepted unconditionally. I have been tasked with getting this filthy little sandcastle suitable for the royalty that is overflowing from our glorious capital. My primary goal is acceptable healthcare for all. This has further been broken down into two steps: 1) A fully stocked hospital and 2) Competent doctors.

I have also decided to ensure as little of this fort as possible is stuck in the dirt and sand. We are not kobolds (although the abundant use of traps at the fortress entrance makes me question this daily), who rut around in the dirt, playing with toys and eating dung to pass the time. We are dwarves, and the rocks call to us.

So we shall begin.

1st Slate, 1054 - The moving of trade goods to the upper levels and the restructuring of the farm system to actually make sense has begun. Unfortunately, with a decentralized gathering area, the peasant housing district will always be a mess.

Plans for the new hospital have been completed. It will be glorious, yet modest. All other building projects have been canceled until it is complete.

10th Slate, 1054 - I decided to upgrade the barracks. I need to let my doctors practice, so my secondary priority has changed in part to get as many dwarves injured as possible... through honorable combat. Current plans will allow for a 50 dwarf-strong military. I've sent a request to the Moutainhome for more bodies.

11th Slate, 1054 - If Doctor House hits on me one more time, I'll let him diagnose my foot up his ass.

1st Slate, 1054 - The hospital, which I have decided to name after the greatest dwarven doctor of the last century, has been carved out. Furniture and supplies will be moved in over the following weeks. The patient rooms are currently made of loam. I am considering constructing stone floors and walls, but my past experiences of morons hobbling full tilt down hallways on crutches has led me to believe that the softer surface may in fact be a boon.

6th Slate, 1054 - Arucard Egulber was found dead outside of the newly constructed lobby/waiting room of Verdian's Hope. Dwarves at the scene reported Snap Bakusttirist found idly eating a bag full of berries while starring at the corpse. Initial observations show no marks on the body. I am looking forward to using the new operating room to get to the bottom of this.

I had to firmly remind Dr. House who the chief medical dwarf of Dyebraves is. While he was fishing his cane out of the well, I had a few moments peace to perform an autopsy. Cause of death appears to be suffocation. No foreign substances were found in Arucard's stomach. The cause of death has officially been noted as follows: "Struck dumb by the majesty and grandeur of Verdian's Hope Hospital, the subject forgot to breathe."

note: It has been decided to keep a close eye on Mr. Bakusttirist.

19th Slate, 1054 - The bodies I requested have arrived. There are two interns among them, who I will begin training with the other doctors. I was planning on forcing the rest to enlist to help them practice, but one of them claims to be a capable armor crafter.

5th Felsite, 1054 - I had given Ni Morulabsam, the above mentioned armorer, an ultimatum: Prove you can do something worthwhile, or join the military. He went a little crazy eyed and locked himself in a workshop. He is refusing food and beer. I've always wondered how long a dwarf could go without eating...

9th Felsite, 1054 - Katherine Willows starved to death today. A cleaning dwarf noticed that the gem quarter had been walled in recently, and when it was torn down they found her corpse. No one is sure who gave the order to seal the area. An autopsy of her body, performed by yours truly, revealed no foul play (Dr. House's claims of lupine were routinely ignored). The interns learned a lot, though. I suggested preserving the body for future reference, but was over ruled. That's fine, I'm sure there will be others.

10th Felsite, 1054 - Ni emerged from his workshop today. He handed me this:

I think he more than proved himself. I accepted the gift graciously, as I was told that the armor is not suitable for actual combat. I lectured him and Doctor House on the proper use of time, funds and materials for an hour to make up for the failing.

It is now Summer. One fourth of my time is spent. I think things are coming along nicely. Right now I am talking with some elves (bizarre creatures, their proportions are fascinating) and they seem to know an awful lot about internal anatomy...

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2010, 01:41:27 am »

Nice start and i like the graphics, i might just stick with them in my turn =P

The head of secret affairs office, 0900 hours

Knock, Knock, Knock

The large, balding dwarf lets out a sigh as he unties his cloth belt before saying,

"Enter...."
In walks a well built man of average age for a dwarf. He holds a cap in his hands and his head is bowed slightly down

"You called for me, Sir?"

"Yes, yes, sit down, shut up and quit the formal crap!"

Raising their eyebrow just slightly, the dwarf sits down and pulls a note book out to copy notes.

"Right listen up. After your well done efforts here and around the city the noble court has decided to put you in charge of a small city in about 3 seasons time. Now before you start blabering on about how happy you are, theres a problem. Its a very small, currently poorly managed, stone ridden, outpost in the middle of no where in goblin land. Yes I know what your thinking "How can this get any worse". Well it can. The city lacks a proper police force, has no secret police force, lacks a real army, relies of a weak defence system and has no prison. Your job is to go there, get the police force trained and organised, start a small secret police force to help with state related crimes, bolster the army up, thats not so important though, start a very tough prison for war captives, criminals, death row, state criminals and people me and you just dont like. Now start organising your things, your leaving in 3 seasons".

With a crisp flick of their hands, both dwarves salute and the dwarf leaves the room, slaming the door shut a little harder then normal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:04:33 am by nuker w »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:24 am »

Oh. A healthcare reform.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2010, 04:15:29 am »

::) I wonder whom his idol is and where he got the idea  ::)

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2010, 04:34:46 am »

I was originally just going to create a hospital, but my dwarf has a really messed up personality. And it is a more interesting story when p.o.v. is of someone not quite right in the head.  :o

Real world politics have no place in Dyebraves!

I had actually done a lot more, but I had my first game crash of any version of DF ever. >:( There was an amusing instance of a giant cave bird flying around the dining room terrorizing people, too. Oh well.

Between that and getting called into work (on a Sunday?! Madness!), I couldn't get my turn completely finished. I had to do my first season write up on my lunch break.  ::)

Oh well, I am glad you'll still be able to play next time, nuker (or at least that is what I gathered from your post).

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:02 am »

Yea, I may have to float around a bit it seems. Any chance of it being done by sometime tomorowish? I have exstended weekend after all (thats good luck if anything)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2010, 07:07:45 am »

All these mysterious deaths are interesting, I wonder what happened to Arucard?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2010, 07:12:30 am »

Maybe he knows what hes doing when it comes to.... "removing" people

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:51 am »

I more wonder what happened to Katherine, that room had exits so, what? Mysterious deaths indeed, and an even more mysterious new health care system? I'm organizing a booze party to stand in defiance of this forced legislation! Ummm... hey! Not that kind of party you dolts!

Yeah, anyway I might have just gotten old, I think he was close to 100. So I'll add the deaths and artifact to the top.
Edit: can you give me the translation of the artifact? I could get the words, but they don't fit together well directly translated :|
...and value
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:55:25 am by Arucard »

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:36 am »

Hey nuker, if you want, I can stop my turn where I am now, give you the save, and then pick up the rest of my year when you are done. I'd appreciate it if my hospital remained untouched in the mean time, but you know how it is.  ;)

Katherine, in hindsight, was totally my fault. I deleted all of the up/down staircases between floors 5 and 6, connecting the workshops to the stockpiles, after I moved the stockpiles the first floor. I didn't realize that gem workshop was blocking the door to the main hallway until after she died. :-\

Arucard's death is completely baffling to me. He just died with no explanation.

I am not sure what you mean by "the translation of the artifact"... How do I give that to you?

edit: It just occurred to me what you meant. It is called "Honesttwinkling the Ill Glow", and it is worth 33600 dwarfbucks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:03:34 am by Verdian »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:06 am »

Yea, shure why not. If you do do that though, i need the save straight away. Thanks alot for going through all this just to let me play it  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10