Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even more egotistical than those engravers!  (Read 1044 times)

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
Even more egotistical than those engravers!
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:26:58 pm »

"Litast âbirfikod, Jeweler has created Litast âbirfikod, a Schorl window!"

... and now their general information says "Litast âbirfikod, creator of Litast âbirfikod". Has anyone else had this happen?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Even more egotistical than those engravers!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »

I haven't had anything like that happen, what's it worth?

Considering he put together enough gems to fill up a full square(Which can hold dragons) and then decorated it with most likely a lot of other things, I'm sure he deserves to be proud of it.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:39 pm »

If it has an image of a dwarf on it...

Draft the jeweler and send him on a suicide charge against the next siege. Alone.

Make sure he DESERVES to have it named after him. Even if it means killing him.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »

Has anyone else had this happen?

Yeah, once. Don't remember what type of item the artifact was, but I do have an old screen shot that says "Kadol Edemdodok (...), creator of Kadol Edemdodok".

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »

It happens sometimes.  There's another instance of that happening recorded on the Wiki, in the Story section (archive page 6).  To quote:

The turtle shell Idol

There was a dwarf known as "Treehugger Bristlewhipped." He was called "Treehugger" for he was such a gentle and kind dwarf. Very generous and immodest.
One day Treehugger was caught by a peculiar mood. He went into a craftdwarvshop and began bringing in various materials.. he worked like a mad man for several days and emerged with a turtleshell idol! It was called... "Treehugger Bristlewhipped."
None of the dwarves knew what to say. The ones before Treehugger had produced ornate shields, high quality weapon racks and perfect jewels.
Treehugger had made a self portrait.
As if things weren't bad enough Treehugger explained the idol. He had encrusted it with Lace agate, decorated it with goblin bone and encircled it with bands of Lace agate. The idol menaced with spikes of turtle shell and carried the images of diamonds and many-pointed stars in iron.

Even to this day when a dwarf is asked WHERE the spikes and decorations were located they simply change the subject. Only in our dreams shall we know what this piece really looks like ... if you can remember it when you wake up screaming.
Sanity is for the weak.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »

Sometimes, dwarves decide to name their artifacts after themselves. It happens, though not very often.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »

contributing with image
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:45:31 pm »

I always give my first seven nicknames to distinguish them, usually either based on their name or job. My only carpenter, Ingiz 'Oak' Dolushdastot, made an artefact floodgate. Out of oak. And funnily enough, named it after himself.
Ingiz 'Oak' Dolushdashtot, "Ingiz 'Oak' Bearsword", a Oaken floodgate

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:09:17 pm »

I happen to find this more egotistical.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:41 pm »

My favorite thing was that I my ex-mayor and on again off again broker was a master engraver, and kept engraving pictures of himself ascending to mayor.  Eventually, one of my other engravers engraved a picture of the ex-mayor crying and being shunned by other dwarves as he lost the mayoral election.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

My favorite thing was that I my ex-mayor and on again off again broker was a master engraver, and kept engraving pictures of himself ascending to mayor.  Eventually, one of my other engravers engraved a picture of the ex-mayor crying and being shunned by other dwarves as he lost the mayoral election.
Heh, that is my Mayor. Most of her engravings are about how she came to power.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »

That's what happens when you let the people with power write the history.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!