Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brooks, water flow and all that thrilling stuff....  (Read 2119 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brooks, water flow and all that thrilling stuff....
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:46:40 am »

This has been mentioned several times on here but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if someone could help me out. I'm a bit new at DF and I'm trying like hell to dam a brook on my map. Could someone give me an excruciatingly simple explanation of how to do it properly? I've built a wall on the bottom layer of the brook and have removed the top layer of the brook on both sides of it (it freezes in the winter for the month of opal) but the water doesn't seem to be receding at all. Have I built the thing right? Is there anything else I should be looking for? (the water isnt flowing diagonally either, checked that already) How long does it take for a brook to drain generally?

Any help at all would be amazing, this brook is really trying my nerves.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks, water flow and all that thrilling stuff....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:06:40 am »

Do you have [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:YES] in your init file? Water and magma can vary in depth from 1 to 7 units in a tile, but the symbol is the same for all of them if you have NO instead of YES there. You wouldn't see the brook looking dry until the ankle deep 1/7 water tiles started to evaporate.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:44:26 pm »

Yep, have that, its showing the level around 3/7 which I'm taking to mean its working but my brook does vary in depth over the year so I'll sit and watch it. A construction site is flooded you see. I dug an artificial lake and was in the process of putting down the first level of a massive, golden, middle finger when it flooded. on my approach road too, to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:09:51 pm »

massive, golden, middle finger

That is simply the best mega project I have ever heard of.  I would help, but I've been trying to fire out how to redirect rivers too, every good starting area seems to have a river on the exact opposite side of the map...
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

kurrata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »

there is brook(you can walk over it and your dwarfs wont drown) its like river has floor on top of it with holes so you can walk over it while still enable to fish and get water from it. You can remove that "floor" by digging chanel on that title to turn it in true river title

Then there is river over which you cant walk but have to swim. it has 2 "levels" just like brook. Water level and on top of it is emty space(in brook case "floor")
Code: [Select]
y+1 _    _
 y  XWWWWX

W -water
X - wall
_ - top of the wall
Your most likely building on y+1 lvl in other words on emty space. not in the place where water flows - Y

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:26 am »

Yep, have that, its showing the level around 3/7 which I'm taking to mean its working but my brook does vary in depth over the year so I'll sit and watch it.

How much of the year is it frozen?  There's a kind of bug where shallow water will freeze into a full ice wall and then melt back into more water than it started with.  You might have to use pumps as well just to get rid of all the water.

There's another problem that doesn't affect brooks (I think) where a river passes through an aquifer and is constantly refilled from the sides, making damming useless.  So check if you have an aquifer near by that might be filling your construction site.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »

Not only is it a 30 story high, solid gold "fuck you" I'm going to build fortifications on the 3rd or 4th level of it so its not only insulting but actively killing you in the face.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »

Now THAT is epic. I approve of this megaproject.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

massive, golden, middle finger

That is simply the best mega project I have ever heard of.
I heard about somebody making a wooden one facing the nearest elf civ, but yeah, gold's got style.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!