Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coming of the horde!  (Read 556 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Coming of the horde!
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:09 am »

No, no taurens/trolls/undead/orcs, I just want to create a 'horde' of goblins. Is it possible to mod goblins so that they are weaker than they are now but come with more and never retreat?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coming of the horde!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:38:53 am »

Never retreating is easy; the goblin creature entry just needs the [NOFEAR] tag. The same can be said for making them weaker, if that's really necessary - you'll probably want to just reduce their DAMBLOCK to a (small) negative value, as the alternative would be making them smaller, which might find them too small to use their own weapons.

Larger sieges are difficult. You could try adjusting the progress triggers found in the goblin entity entry - that'll make the goblins show up much faster, but the intensity of attacks should pick up faster as well, although that's hardly ideal. Besides that, I can't really think of anything. There does seem to have been a good few threads about this sort of thing recently, though, so you might be able to find out if anyone's made any progress on that front.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:45:55 am by 3 »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:11 am »

Increase their [liTTERSIZE:] to something absurd, like 25, and you should get more. Remove [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] as well.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:54 am »

Ok thanks they'll certailny get the no fear tag.

About littersize, as far as I know this will increase their offpring and thus make their race very large. But would this also increase the size of the sieges? I'm not sure but IIRC it depends on the amount of sieges before that one.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »

Endless sieges is actually easy. Copy the [ENTITY:EVIL] entry from entities_default.txt. Give each copy a slightly different ENTITY: tag (I'm fond of EVILSPR, EVILSUM, EVILAUT, and EVILWIN) and a different ACTIVE_SEASON tag (goblins have all four tags by default, spread them out to avoid bad luck trying to send two civs at once, which will fail and one won't siege you that year).

Now your worlds will generate with four different goblin civs, and a different one will siege you each season once you get their attention. For extra insurance (and if you've got a big enough world to hold them all), make two ENTITYs for each season, that way if one gets bored and decides not to siege this year, the other will probably fill in, plus it'll take that much longer to deplete their populations.

Note that despite all this, it's still possible to annihilate an invading force before the next one's ready to rock you. You'll just have to suffer through a month or two of peace. :)
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.