Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mega-Beast Kidnappings  (Read 1411 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mega-Beast Kidnappings
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

I would like to see mega-beasts, such as the dragon, be given a tag that allows them to be able to kidnap creatures to serve as there slaves/servants for their lairs.  These servants could do renovate the lair, clean up the place, and mow the lawn.  They could also have their own little servant quarters somewhere in the back of the lair.
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mega-Beast Kidnappings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

I think it would make more sense for the Dragon to demand children/slaves

Since otherwise he has to feed this child or something.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

When I read the topic, I imagined a goblin snatcher with the balls to try to get a baby dragon.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

That would be the most awesome baby snatcher of all. I don't think mega beasts should go kidnapping however. I think in the course of their rampages they acquire their slaves by NOT killing some people. Or cultists. Cultists are always good, and I'm pretty sure Toady has that planned.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

Yes!  This would be wicked cool - I'm surprised it hasn't been dealt with sooner.  And considering how many ancient myths involve epic beasts kidnapping humans, it'd make perfect sense to see the same in DF.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:27:55 pm »

Yes!  This would be wicked cool - I'm surprised it hasn't been dealt with sooner.  And considering how many ancient myths involve epic beasts kidnapping humans, it'd make perfect sense to see the same in DF.

I hate to dig up an old topic, but I had a similar idea, and this quote is the driving force to it.

Maybe the megabeasts leave babies to kobolds and goblins, and instead they try to kidnap royalty, or leaders, or whatever, perhaps for financial or malicious intent.

I think it'd be pretty easy to implement, and once you have proper succession, you could have scenarios where a prince is kidnapped, his father dies, and his brother takes over the throne...one day he's found, and they have a little war as to who is the rightful ruler.

Things like that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:44:13 pm »

Oooh, or we could sacrifice virgins to the dragon only instead of eating her (him?) it could carry them off and raise them (there's an ungodly number of published books with that basic theme).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:03:03 pm »

I like this idea.  Maybe the slaves could do some mining to give a cave a more structured feel?  Right now it's a serious chore to find a (semi)megabeast if it's not outside or on the first level.
Shoes...

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:21:28 pm »

Yes!  This would be wicked cool - I'm surprised it hasn't been dealt with sooner.  And considering how many ancient myths involve epic beasts kidnapping humans, it'd make perfect sense to see the same in DF.

I hate to dig up an old topic, but I had a similar idea, and this quote is the driving force to it.

Maybe the megabeasts leave babies to kobolds and goblins, and instead they try to kidnap royalty, or leaders, or whatever, perhaps for financial or malicious intent.

I think it'd be pretty easy to implement, and once you have proper succession, you could have scenarios where a prince is kidnapped, his father dies, and his brother takes over the throne...one day he's found, and they have a little war as to who is the rightful ruler.

Things like that.
I think you've got it backwards.  A predator will go for the weakest in a herd, the ones straggling behind.  In my opinion megabeasts would go after those that DIDN'T have weapons.  If a dragon can be killed by a few armed dwarves why would he put himself in a position where he must face them?  On the other hand, a group of goblins is going to be more devious than that.  They're going to go after someone who will give them some advantage over those who they steal from.  It doesn't make sense to me that a goblin would kidnap a kid and not someone who is either in an important position, or that could do forced labor.  To be honest, a single child matters little in a large fortress.

I'd rather see the bones of children that they've fed to their young than have servants.  Only the ones who have developed cults would have those, as these are dangerous beasts not demonic overlords.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:05:28 pm »

A planless predator probably would only go for the weak, yes, but an evil intelligent entity could do it to terrorize the rest, securing a steady supply of food.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:15:02 pm »

An evil intelligent entity could also get its butt handed to it by a handful of dwarves if it isn't careful.  I don't see how putting yourself in a dangerous position is something that they would do, seeing as how fragile they are if they come against resistance.  I don't know, I just didn't think of them that way.  They must feel so misunderstood  :'(

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:36:41 pm »

As long as the dwarves are unarmed, they're not that dangerous (Ironblood took out a hydra while naked, yes, but Captain Mayday noted that in his tests, the hydra won as often as he lost, and this is Ironblood we're talking about here).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »

Back to my original point-
Why would a goblin go for a meaningless child when they could kidnap a prince or something and ransom them for gold and riches?
Why would a predatorial megabeast like a hydra take a noble? 
An evil intelligent entity is the goblin race.  Aren't megabeasts just animals?

<Edit>
In most movies and stories you hear about the monster grabbing a random peasant while they were in the woods, I've never heard of a monster taking a noble on purpose.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:55:40 pm by Jamuk »

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:50 am »

Because the goblins aren't planning on holding the stolen children ("changelings"?) for ransom, they just want to raise them as their own. Dunno why. Maybe they're just in it for enraging the other races.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:27:25 am »

As long as the dwarves are unarmed, they're not that dangerous (Ironblood took out a hydra while naked, yes, but Captain Mayday noted that in his tests, the hydra won as often as he lost, and this is Ironblood we're talking about here).

However, this was only because Ironblood was doing really stupid wrestling moves like getting a toehold with his elbows.
Pages: [1] 2