Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How exactly do I make stones Boil (without flash frying dwarves)  (Read 828 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

I'd like to ask exactly how do to this.

Looking at the stone metagloss files, there is no entry for most stones.

There is a file for say.... clownite with boil point at [50K]

There is not an entry for say... schist. I want this stone to boil away as I mine it rather than spending 16 years hauling everything out in my 6 z level city.

How exactly do I do this?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: How exactly do I make stones Boil (without flash frying dwarves)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:33 pm »

There are actually two stone files: matgloss_stone_layer, and matgloss_stone_mineral (four if you count gems and soil, but we'll disregard those). Schist and other layer rocks are in the layer file.

If you want to instantly destroy all the stones in your fort, add [BOILING_POINT:10020] to every stone you want to destroy. This will destroy the stones without harming your dwarves. Some stones already have a boiling point, you'll want to change those instead of adding the new tag.

Note that this will also evaporate buildings made of the stone (constructions such as floors and walls will not evaporate).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

You may also wish to pause, edit the raws, then hit . to advance one frame.  That one frame will take forever, but the lag should mostly be gone after that.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:18:42 am »

You may also wish to pause, edit the raws, then hit . to advance one frame.  That one frame will take forever, but the lag should mostly be gone after that.
I'm pretty sure raw edits will only become effective after restarting DF.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:51:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure raw edits will only become effective after restarting DF.
Indeed. For best results, check init.ini to set PAUSE_ON_LOAD to YES.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »

Cool, I'm actually just digging it out with boil rocks to begin with this time (my last fort glitched out on me after superdwarfing my guys to get rid of all the stone).

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:23:07 am »

It's best to leave flash-boiling until the end IMO since the like ten-frame FPS hit is totally worth it over a constant FPS stagger. I've heard that the [SOIL] tag is better overall, though - never tested it myself, but in theory it'll mean that your selected stones will stop producing rock altogether without the risk of losing masterworks, mechanisms, and furnishings used in waterworks/magmaworks etc.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »

Awesome.

I put the tags on my two most common rock types: Schist and Granite. Thus I only have Mica, Orth, and microline rocks, which works for all my crafting/mech needs. This really should be placed in the wiki somewhere under modding or another applicable category, because I find it is referenced often. Consider it part of DF's very high learning curve....

Soil method actually works fairly well with the same result, though I have heard of bug issues where rocks will somehow turn up in what are supposed to be soil layers. (Yes I know this shouldn't happen when they are outside the soil metagloss file. That's why it's a bug). On the plus side, the same bug makes them much faster to actually dig through. Go figure.

Please don't quote me.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:39:36 pm »

This really should be placed in the wiki somewhere under modding or another applicable category, because I find it is referenced often.

Yeah, this is like the third of fourth thread on it this week. I actually have a very small 'guide' of sorts here (currently without info on [SOIL]), but it's hardly findable from the main wiki. The wiki itself has a big problem with tell you all kinds of interesting facts while giving you absolutely no help on how to use them together to actually get things done, though, so hopefully the next version's articles will be better about that.

Soil method actually works fairly well with the same result, though I have heard of bug issues where rocks will somehow turn up in what are supposed to be soil layers. (Yes I know this shouldn't happen when they are outside the soil metagloss file. That's why it's a bug). On the plus side, the same bug makes them much faster to actually dig through. Go figure.

Interesting, good to know. The soil leaving rock is probably a biome thing, but the digging speed is very useful regardless, and you can still resort to flash-boiling afterwards to get the best of both techniques.