Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: iam new to this game and having bad time.  (Read 2524 times)

lordair3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
iam new to this game and having bad time.
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:00:38 pm »

i am going describe my fortress. i don't have a finder so i pick on my own for last 3rd time and i pick a spot that is in a mountain Vally so after few days (because am busy). A kobod show up and mugs the dwarfs fort or cave i don't have stairs yet. so i lost a axe and good i had spare. next week i got a brewer and up stairs and all my dwarf do is drink and i cant make money because i have no Clue how to sell all my 20 shields and no wagons can come to my fort for trade and immigrants come now i have 25 dwarfs - the  1 kid make 24.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iam new to this game and having bad time.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »

Build a trade depot.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »

You can smelt ore into coins which is money, but that isn't recommended. I believe our talking about trading so you want to uild a [D]epot so that you'll be able to trade.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »

If you haven't gone through the tutorials yet, do so.  The game is incredibly frustrating and nearly impossible to figure out through trial and error on your own.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »

When a dwarf runs into a Kobold, the game zooms to that location.  Lately I've learned to take advantage fo that to draft the dwarf who discovered him, so he'll fight back.   (Press "v", highlight the dwarf, press "p", then shift-"A" to activate his squad.)  Don't forget to undraft him afterwards.  (Press v, p, shift-A again.)  Kobolds are pretty weak and it's satisfying to take them out after they interrupt work.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »

You can smelt ore into coins which is money, but that isn't recommended. I believe our talking about trading so you want to uild a [D]epot so that you'll be able to trade.
BBcode fail.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »

Check out the Dwarf fortress wiki, it has everything you need there to dive right in, just have it and the game running at the same time.
And if you do build a depot make sure it's accessible. 
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:48:12 pm »

Kobolds are relatively easy to take care of since they run off (usually) when detected. Just make sure your stuff is all inside and that your entrances are relatively small/sparse and have, say, a dog roped off near them (by building a restraint and then assigning a dog to it).

And yeah, the wiki is your new best friend.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:53:43 am »

If you haven't gone through the tutorials yet, do so.  The game is incredibly frustrating and nearly impossible to figure out through trial and error on your own.
I did it was fun, really much fun.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

fizzding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:40:20 am »

Forgive me if I am new to this forum, but this thread smells vaguely of troll...

I suggest magma, lots of magma.

However, that could just be the alcohol that gets me through the working day^HHHweekend.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:49:48 am »

However, that could just be the alcohol that gets me through the working day^HHHweekend.
yeah it's pretty obvious, but the true cure is to deny the fact it is and just carry on!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »

Trade caravans require a hallway that is 3 titles broad, make you entrance bigger and build a trade depot, once you have a trade depot you can hit Shift+d to see whether caravans can reach your trade depot or not.
Derp.

lordair3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »

i need a architect and how do i get one.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

i need a architect and how do i get one.

press v.
move the cursor to the dwarf you want to be an architect.
press p.
press the - button 3 times till it's on 'architecture'.
press enter.
press space.
you have an architect.

Architects can't come through immigrant waves.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »

No, it's <v>iew, <p>references, <l>abor, scroll down(faster of you scroll up past the top of the list) and activate the Architecture labor.
BBcode fail.
And you don't smelt coins, either. You need a forge, go to Other Object-><metal type>->Mint <metal type> Coins.
But again, coins are fairly useless, even and especially when the economy starts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2