Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Mega-Mega-beast thread... post all ideas for MBs typ  (Read 1598 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Mega-Mega-beast thread... post all ideas for MBs typ
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

In honor of megabeast week, I think a massaive brainstorm is called for.  Dragon/hydra/demon/giant/titan/Collosus are all good ideas for megabeast types.  But I say that the more variety and more bizarre variety, the better.  I want to see what other people can imagine for megabeast types.  

Here is an older thread that listed a few ideas:
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=003108

Here are some more ideas I have thought of, or shamefully ripped off from others:

1) Giant Lovecraftian sea horror (I made a post about this a long time ago, and someone came up with this idea as a megabeast).  I would love to see some crazy gigantic monster rise up out of the sea and come ashore to wreck civilizations.

2) Cracken (see above)

3) Massive, evil white whale.  (probably would have to stick to destroying ships, once those are available)

4) Sea Serpent (similar to #3)

5) Gargantuan Ape (maybe a mega-gibbon?  Toady likes gibbons apparently...)

6) Mega cave-spider... (pretty much the same as LOTR shelob, I guess)

Need more... more more more!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Mega-Mega-beast thread... post all ideas for MBs typ
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

1. Put in that dude's deepcrow, which is PA's deepcrow.
2. Mega-Goo of some sort. Huge mega goo, we are talking gelatinous cube... cubed! (really corny I'm sorry) Not sure how it would he coded. I guess it would be an upperbody, with really odd attack flags. IT would need to have a low {SPEED] to balance the fact that it is always moving at 1/4 speed, but since it should be slow it might balance out? High damblock too.
3. More semi-megabeasts- including dragon-people! They breathe fire AND wield weapons and armor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

Let me think... Also I count Demons as Semimegabeasts... mostly because I don't know what they are classified under.

Good (Semi)Megabeasts
-Note: These are Megabeasts that hang out in "Good" areas, not Benevolent.

-Fairy King/Queen: She isn't too tough but she has an army of Large fairys under her control and can annoy your fortress with Fairy swarms (Which are already in the game as Pests). Is capable of extending good boarders.
-Ambrosial Queen Bee: Similar to the above, she is the Queen of the swarms of Giant bees.
-Ambrosial Butterfly: A Giant Butterfly that uses poisons to suppliment its strength.
-The Pure: A being of such "Good" that it cannot help but to attack and destroy nearly everything in the world. It isn't intelligent and attacks on pure instinct then one any sort of Philosophical grounds.

Benevolent (Semi)Megabeasts
-These are the goody ones or at least generally helpful to other civilisations

-Angels: Naturally Benevolent, dislikes Demons. Though it can make other cities mad by stealing what it needs to live or attacking those it finds offensive. The Exact name isn't too important.
-Stone Guardian: A Statue carved that protects the town it is built in
-Little God: A Semi-Megabeast that devotes itself to the protection of a single family line.

Normal (Semi)Megabeasts

-Queen Antmen: A Stronger then usual Antmen who is protected by others as well as the few Male Antmen in the colony. She is actually Worshipped by the Antmen.
-Roc: A Giant bird

Evil (Semi-Megabeasts)
-These live in Evil Lands

-Undead King/Queen: Brings things back from the dead and can extend evil boarders.
-Amalgamation: Several undead put together as one ready to kill.
-Hundred Ghost: Several Ghosts working together as one being.
-Feeder: a Being who feeds on the dead. Though seemingly helpful it also will eat the dead of other civilisations who may or may not think it was such a good idea.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

I support the Deep Crow being in DF, but it seems more like a [DEEP] creature or a really strong chasm creature than a typical Megabeast.

I want to see Semimegabeasts attack fortresses sometimes.  They're not strong enough to show up alone like the Megabeasts do, but maybe they could show up as a small group or the goblins could drag along a Cyclops or two with their sieges once in a while.  I imagine something similar has been suggested before, though.

I seem to recall there being mention of skeletal and zombie versions of (Semi)Megabeasts in future versions.  That's something I really want to see.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Kuli ]

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

I don't think a Semimegabeast would attack a fortress...

If it did show up it would have a goal... then leave.

Problem is that all Semimegabeasts would be uttarly murdered by just about any fortress except a rather early starting one.

I mean how many people have killed a SemiMegabeast in Adventure mode with a starting hero, even one with a poor selection of skills?

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

I also support the Deep Crow. Penny arcade deserves a small nod given their virulent fanbase that has helped popularize our humble Toady's game.

Suggestions-
EVIL:
-Demonic Juggernaut. It's like a giant elephant, except it's covered in armor plates, feeds on mortal flesh and never forgets. To kill.
-Greater Demons. He rules hell and got bored, and now he's on the mortal plane. This does not bode well for living residents.
-Spawn of Pure Chaos. He's the end result of living in plane without any moral, legal, or physical constraints. Having survived and destroyed that place to escape to the mortal realm, he's here now and looking for "fun".

Neutral:
-The Tarrasque. Once found in D&D and common mythology, now found eating anyone periodically with no real set goal in mind. He sleeps, he eats. Then he sleeps again.
-Burrower Beast. Originally found in Everquest, but might make an interesting addition to the current lot. Rather then attacking from the surface or the air as other creatures, this one undermines and attacks the halls directly.
-Primal (lion/tiger/etc). The gods of old, progenitors of their respective races, or merely mutants, these variants of their species are merely HUGE versions of standard creatures. Could possibly be interesting breeding possibilities if you can catch one.

Good:
-Spirit Of The Wild. Nature's own goodly avatar if it lived in the forest. Rather then take a set form, it changes it's shape to reflect whatever ecology it's in. Corrupted Spirits could be found in evil areas.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

Moar dragons!

They should at least be as varried as demons--either shape, color, or personality.
I'm still in love with this little guy: http://www.mitaenzu.com/2008art/DandeDragon.jpg
(Part of an on-going project to turn (almost) everything into a dragon for an alternative universe set in 1900's ish time period--there are at least 45 artists signed up so far and all kinds of weird critters--jetplane, fork, dandelion, cigarette lighter (my fault!), hurcules beetle...squid)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricemastah:
<STRONG>
2. Mega-Goo of some sort. Huge mega goo, we are talking gelatinous cube... cubed! (really corny I'm sorry) Not sure how it would he coded. I guess it would be an upperbody, with really odd attack flags. IT would need to have a low {SPEED] to balance the fact that it is always moving at 1/4 speed, but since it should be slow it might balance out? High damblock too.
</STRONG>

Call it a Shoggoth and I'm with you.

"It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train – a shapeless congerie of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter.”
— H. P. Lovecraft, At The Mountains of Madness

While searching wikipedia for the link, I found this list of monsters, too.

EDIT: links fixed

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Strangething ]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

Your links aren't working, but the description sounds awesome!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

Strangething's links are busted.

Already said this, but it fits better in this thread.
-Meteor strike event + The color out of space w/ water tainting and resulting madness
-.01% chance of the Terminator. For fun. It could happen. He leaves when he has killed his targets, but kills anyone in his way. Blows through walls, buildings, people, animals, everything but magma.
-UFO abduction. Victims may be returned with new personalities and varying degrees of insanity.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

I thinked of this Idea while I was playing Doom 2 there could be hell knight in the pits after you breach them there apparer the normal demons after kill them the demons of the pits desice to send their elite soldier the hell knight can resist a lot of pain they dont fell fear and they have a very high damage block and they can trow green fireball but the fireball dont put the dwarves in fire they do acid damage whit a posibility of complete disolve the poor guys. Sorry is this idea is a little stupid I thinked it while I was playing doom 2
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Here is something...

(Semi)Megabeast Templates

These are templates that can go on ANY creature other then Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts and turns them into (Semi)Megabeasts. The game will select creatures at random to use these templates

They are

-Paragon: This turns any creature into a Semimegabeast
-Ascended: This turns any creature into a Megabeast

It could even have minimums and maximums since some ordinary creatures are more then powerful enough that their Paragon Selves could rival Megabeasts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Mega, megabeast eh?

How about Giant Orbital Cannon? See, it's a relic of a past bygone age and after its AI went haywire some 20000 years ago, it randomly shoots at moving targets down on the planet. It's unreachable, and you can only suffer as 3000 gigawatts of pure, condensed energy streak across the landscape.

Each time it shoots, the whole planet dies and goes into a new ice age. How's that for a mega, megabeast?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

Medusa with cewl turn-to-stone gaze.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

Aside from a Cthulhu rising from the ocean (which the Horror idea from earlier would work well with), how about a Sandworm Megabeast? - it would dig through your mines in desert areas (or we could call it a Rockworm, but really it'd be a sandworm), generally create tunnels where you wouldn't want any, eat your dwarves, and mess your fortress up.
Pages: [1] 2