Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Decorate With Stone  (Read 2221 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decorate With Stone
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

Given I've recently become a Decoration nut, I find myself really longing for the ability to decorate objects with stone at the craftsdwarf's workshop.
It would work just like decorate with shell, bone, encrust with gems, etc. etc. but would use non-economic rock instead.
It occurred to me when the dwarven caravan sold me a suit of platemail that menaced with spikes of conglomerate. If they get to decorate with rock, why can't I?
Don't think there would be a balance problem either; for simple generation of wealth crafts\toys would still be superior, as you get 1 decoration vs. 3 crafts\toys. As decoration is all about boosting the value of specific items it could also give additional utility to all those random stones out there that are identical but for their colour.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Decorate With Stone
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

Yes but decoration isnt supposed to be that easy, stone decorations (along with wood) were never added because of balance reasons, Im assuming, because stone and wood are so very easy to get, and decorations are such an improvement to an item's value, that you could get enough value to get anything you want in years with only a few season's worth of stone decorating.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

maybe it's just because I've taken a liking to ocean maps but I have runestones in my viking fort with something like 15 decorations, all of them done in various types of bone. I'm not sure if I quite see the difference in value between decorating and making crafts though. I.E., said runestone is worth something like 700, vs. its original value of 300. given the skill of the bonecarver I think making crafts out of said bones would yield more than 400? unless, of course, I am misunderstanding the way decorations add value.
Granted, stone is bloody everywhere, but then you're still considering turning it into a decoration vs. turning it into crafts, and you're still stuck with 1 decoration per kind of stone.
also also, I learned in that fort that the real road to wealth and buying out caravans is having a good cook and making lavish meals. wow those things are worth so much vs. the cost of their components.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:15:25 pm by penguinofhonor »

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

I was really disappointed I couldn't decorate my oak beds with maple.

A marble table with an image made out of obsidian would be nice.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:44:00 am »

I don't understand the balance issue that Torak raises.  Except for bolts, decorations don't seem unbalanced at the moment.  And if one stone ($3) turns into one decoration ($10) that's less extra money than one stone into three mugs ($30).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:00 am »

I wouldn't care if decorations added just the value of raw stone. They'd be great for packing a lot of stone into little weight, so more of it can get carried away by caravans.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:57:57 am »

Sorry for the necromancy, but since I had exactly the same idea, I didn't want to start a new thread.

Yes but decoration isnt supposed to be that easy, stone decorations (along with wood) were never added because of balance reasons, Im assuming, because stone and wood are so very easy to get, and decorations are such an improvement to an item's value, that you could get enough value to get anything you want in years with only a few season's worth of stone decorating.

I don't believe that this balance issue would cause many problems, since we can already decorate anything we like with bone, which is nearly as easy to get, even if the only sources are goblins and kobolds.  If a given fort also makes a habit of raising animals, the source of bones and the number of items that could be decorated with bones increases greatly.  Granted, you would have access to a lot more stone than bone, but balancing it out would be fairly easy, I think.  If the added stone only adds the stone base value (3$) to the decorated item, it wouldn't artificially raise the value too high, unless the item was decorated with every single different stone.  Having every goblin siege drop $30,000+ worth of goods is far more unbalanced than allowing stone and wood decorations, imo.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:51 pm »

A compromise; allow masons, stoneworkers or gemcutters (whichever is best suite) to cut fancy stones (Obsidian, Cinnabar, Cobaltite, Marble, Alabaster... list could be quite long.) into gems for gem setting.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

hm.... that could be cool, but it could just be something that adds an insignificant amount of value to the piece, I mean the only possible balance problem would be with experience, but for that you can just put crafts on repeat :P

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »

A compromise; allow masons, stoneworkers or gemcutters (whichever is best suite) to cut fancy stones (Obsidian, Cinnabar, Cobaltite, Marble, Alabaster... list could be quite long.) into gems for gem setting.

You can already do that fairly easily: Since cut small gems don't have quality levels, you can define obsidian gems in the raws (with no environment, so they don't show up) and a reaction to take an obsidian stone and produce some number of small obsidian gems in the smelter.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:53:21 pm »

Nice.  If you look at modern jewelry, not all of the "gemstones" are gems, they can be highly polished and finished bits of rock.  So if we gave the task to gemcutters, it would make them somewhat more useful, while at the same time using up some of the excess stone.  And with the extra work, the standard bonus from decorating [insert favorite item here] with [insert favorite stone here] would make more sense.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:25:59 pm »

Good God yes!
A use for Gem cutters other than cannon fodder and miners!
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »

Imported items and artifacts can already have wood or stone decorations, yet we cannot produce them ourselves in our own forts.

It would be nice to be able to make everything menace with spikes of obsidian.  ;D

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »

Yes! Let's merge the stone layer, mineral and gem raws, they're all minerals with overlapping qualities anyway. That would be more flexible too.

A decorations raw wouldn't be crazy either, in which to mod everything from description to price. It's not like the prices of the game stuff are balanced now anyway, so we'd better let not weigh these concerns too heavily on the discussion.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: [1] 2