Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Decorate With Stone  (Read 2219 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Decorate With Stone
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:49 pm »

A compromise; allow masons, stoneworkers or gemcutters (whichever is best suite) to cut fancy stones (Obsidian, Cinnabar, Cobaltite, Marble, Alabaster... list could be quite long.) into gems for gem setting.
Yes! Let's merge the stone layer, mineral and gem raws, they're all minerals with overlapping qualities anyway. That would be more flexible too.

A decorations raw wouldn't be crazy either, in which to mod everything from description to price. It's not like the prices of the game stuff are balanced now anyway, so we'd better let not weigh these concerns too heavily on the discussion.

In a very, very limited sense, there is a part of the decoration raw which is open, the Shapes folder; however, this only applies to a specific subset, as "shape" is chosen out of a myriad of options including favorites such as "menacing spikes". And shape decorations, no matter what you put in the raws, are prefaced by "image of a -".

I saw one modder subvert this to effectively add hacked "engravings" to the decoration system, but it wasn't exactly what we're looking for as far as open decor raws.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »

Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35:06 pm »

Yes! Let's merge the stone layer, mineral and gem raws, they're all minerals with overlapping qualities anyway. That would be more flexible too.

Layer stones, minerals, gems, and metals have already all been merged into the INORGANIC raw type for the next version.

A decorations raw wouldn't be crazy either, in which to mod everything from description to price. It's not like the prices of the game stuff are balanced now anyway, so we'd better let not weigh these concerns too heavily on the discussion.

In case you're interested, I posted a long-ass thread about decoration raws a while ago.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:25:24 pm »

Well, that's going forward then - though probably they'll stay functionally the same as now.

I saw your thread. Not much to add anymore :)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:48:06 am »

You still wouldn't be able to make stuff that menaces with rock spikes, just encrust stuff with polished cinnabar. Not that rock or wooden spikes make any sense to begin with. It'd be nice to get more tasteful decor options like a marble top on a table and that doesn't fit under the umbrella of stones as gems. Fairly specific stuff

Personally I like it. Nice way to making use of the stone preference, damned if I'm gonna make anyone microcline furniture just because he happens to like the stone

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:15:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:23:47 am »

I'm pretty sure that you can get stuff that menaces with gem spikes. The decoration type is random, but they can decorate more than just encrusting.

You can, but since you can't decorate anything with rough gems, this would probably only work with "polished" stone, since rough stone would likely fall into the same category as rough gems.  Then again, you probably wouldn't want to decorate with rough stone anyway.  Sharp stone spikes (mainly available only through working the stone) are so much better for impaling the too-curious kitten.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur
Pages: 1 [2]