Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help, My Debug Race Won't Wake Up!  (Read 2250 times)

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
Help, My Debug Race Won't Wake Up!
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:31:45 am »

I've been having this problem for a while now and it's ridiculous.  Included below is my debug race, Masters.  Now these little fellas are about the downright most broken race I've ever made, and I guess they're broken enough that they broke the game.  They won't wake up once they go to sleep.  They just won't.  I don't understand it, I've even tried sticking them in a totally clean copy of Dwarf Fortress, I made sure everything was right, they were the proper starting entity, they had proper cities and everything (because of how they work, I have to nerf the crap out of their starting totals or else I start up a world and they just go nuts, killing anything that stands in their way and easily taking over pretty much everything), but when they go to sleep in fortress mode, they sleep forever.

Tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:MASTER]
[NAME:master:masters:mastered]
[TILE:'M'][COLOR:7:0:1]
[GENPOWER:3]
[INTELLIGENT]
[TRANCES]
[BENIGN]
[GOOD]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[PREFSTRING:debugging ability]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:NOSE:MOUTH]
[STOUT]
[MAXAGE:1250:2500]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:25:50:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:25:50:GORE]
[ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:3][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[DAMBLOCK:50]
[FAT:4]
[SIZE:9]
[SPEED:0]
[EQUIPS]
[DIURNAL]
[CRAFTSMAN_NAME:craftsmaster:craftsmasters]
[FISHERMAN_NAME:fishermaster:fishermasters]
[HAMMERMAN_NAME:hammermaster:hammermasters]
[SPEARMAN_NAME:spearmaster:spearmasters]
[CROSSBOWMAN_NAME:marksmaster:marksmasters]
[AXEMAN_NAME:axemaster:axemasters]
[SWORDSMAN_NAME:swordsmaster:swordsmasters]
[MACEMAN_NAME:macemaster:macemasters]
[PIKEMAN_NAME:pikemaster:pikemasters]
[BOWMAN_NAME:bowmaster:bowmasters]
[SPEECH:human.txt]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:50]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:1000]
[NO_EAT]
[NOBLEED]
[NO_DRINK]
[NOFEAR]
[NOEXERT]
[NOPAIN]
[NONAUSEA]
[NOSTUN]
[NOSMELLYROT]
[NOBREATHE]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Help, My Debug Race Won't Wake Up!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:36:13 am »

The second attack has a flag that's out of place, but I can't imagine why that would cause it (of course, I could never have predicted that duplicating a creature entry would result in boiling silk that freezes people to death.  Go figure).

Which version are you running?

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:39 am »

I would suggest removing:

[NO_EAT]   
[NOBLEED]   
[NO_DRINK]   
[NOFEAR]   
[NOEXERT]   
[NOPAIN]   
[NONAUSEA]   
[NOSTUN]   
[NOSMELLYROT]   
[NOBREATHE]

One by one and seeing if that helps...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

None of those have anything to do with sleeping.  Not even [NOEXERT], as drowsiness and exhaustion are handled separately.  It's not a bad tactic for figuring things out though, and if things can't be solved in short order, that may be the way to go.

I'm curious about what SPEED:0 would do, (even though it's actually speed 1, so it's not like time stops), but I'll leave that for now.  The only thing that comes to mind is that you somehow grabbed an older version by mistake (or you just haven't updated in a long while).  There was a version a while back where fort-mode creatures would sleep eternally because they couldn't cancel the sleep "job" because they were unconscious (doi).

If you've got 40d or higher, I don't really know what's causing this.  How long have they been sleeping?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:28:35 pm »

Actually SPEED:0 is only 10 times faster than the default which is SPEED:900, there is 100 added to speed somewhere in the final formula.

Btw what version DF are you using?
There was a bug in one of the previous versions with dwarves never waking up after they went sleep.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:31:32 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:43 pm »

any time i use Speed:0 in fortress mode, it breaks the creatures, they tend to sleep, eat, and drink for insanely long times, stop in place outside and not move, ect.  Change it to speed:10 then it should work fine.
Nom nom nom

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:02:46 pm »

There was a version a while back
It was 40a, was it not?
That's only 4 releases ago...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »

so 3 years ago???
Nom nom nom

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:06 pm »

any time i use Speed:0 in fortress mode, it breaks the creatures, they tend to sleep, eat, and drink for insanely long times, stop in place outside and not move, ect.  Change it to speed:10 then it should work fine.
This seems to be the likely culprit, mostly because they all do exactly those things, they were awake for the longest time and somehow I started to think that they might never sleep at all, but this makes sense now, I'll set it back to 1.  Now I just feel silly.  Thanks much!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »

I've never had issues with SPEED:0, personally.  Sometimes I see sleep issues like this with modded races, though, mostly when messing with minimalist body structures and the [NO_*] tags.  I have yet to isolate what causes it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »

Most notable thing about SPEED:0 I had was my embarking fisherdwarf tapped out a 6x6 swamp and brook in one season. So many dead and rotting turtles...
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:43 pm »

give it a [nervous] system or the tag that removes the need for it that should solve it
Back to Mafia with me!

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:47 pm »

Here's my question: I'm trying out at this moment the idea of cutting out the [NO_] tags one by one.  What I'm doing is I'm saving them in the creature_standard file and then opening up my copy of Dwarf Fortress which has the broken sleep thing in it.

I know for a fact that something about the old creature_standard file made my mod race not wake up, because I tried several copies of the game and it wasn't that they were bugged out in any extreme ways or anything, they just never woke up.

My question now is: Will this work to wake them up or do I have to start a new game entirely and test the sleeping on that new one?

What makes me question the results of this, though, is kilaken's point about creatures with [SPEED:0] sleeping for utterly long stretches of time, so maybe they would wake up eventually, but is the time they need to sleep set when they go to sleep, or can it be changed?

I very desperately want these buggers to get their behinds up and get back to work.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:55:07 pm by Enatai »

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 01:04:28 pm »

Okay, I got them to wake up.  I have no idea which tag's removal or modification did the trick, but they now have a nervous system and are speed:1.  My plan is to change them back and forth between the broken creature file and the fixed creature file depending on their waking/sleeping status, buuut more likely I'm just going to keep them speed:1 for now.  I added back all of the [no_] tags and I'll remove them if I must.

Thanks for all your help, guys!  This crippled my Dwarf Fortress playing for literally months, dumb but true.

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:00:18 pm »

[NOSTUN] doesn't seem to work with player races...

they go to sleep and never wake up...
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does
Pages: [1] 2