Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you win Dwarf fortress?  (Read 15985 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: How do you win Dwarf fortress?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:46 pm »

There is only one way to win >>

You must make a dwarf fortress that runs smoothly for the foreseeable future without any form of micro. Manage this, and you have made the ultimate dwarf fortress that will NEVER be defeated or fall apart.

Note: This means that you must have EVERYTHING turned on... economy, nobles, invasions, the whole shebang >>

do this, and you have won! Your reward is satisfaction of having it eternally running in the background with your dwarves plunking away at stuff without your intervention! No win screen, the fortress just continues! D:<
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

richieelias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 04:05:22 pm »

You must make a dwarf fortress that runs smoothly for the foreseeable future without any form of micro. Manage this, and you have made the ultimate dwarf fortress that will NEVER be defeated or fall apart.

Note: This means that you must have EVERYTHING turned on... economy, nobles, invasions, the whole shebang >>

do this, and you have won! Your reward is satisfaction of having it eternally running in the background with your dwarves plunking away at stuff without your intervention! No win screen, the fortress just continues! D:<

This is as simple as walling yourself in underground, placing down a massive plumphelmet farm, and setting your single still on repeat. Your plump helmets will outgrow your ability to turn them into alcohol leaving you with excess food. Any immigrants who arrive will starve safely outside your gates. Production of anything but plumphelmets and alcohol is turned off entirely. Your fortress is nothing but beds, tables and chairs and your dwarves do nothing but eat, drink, and loiter growing so fat and lazy that any strange moods just result in a dwarven fleshball bruising the occasional passer-by.

Yes, your perpetual fortress is nothing but a bunch of skill-less, fat, dirty, naked dwarves slapping each other feebly in a drunken stupor.

YOU WIN!

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »

This is as simple as walling yourself in underground, placing down a massive plumphelmet farm, and setting your single still on repeat. Your plump helmets will outgrow your ability to turn them into alcohol leaving you with excess food. Any immigrants who arrive will starve safely outside your gates. Production of anything but plumphelmets and alcohol is turned off entirely. Your fortress is nothing but beds, tables and chairs and your dwarves do nothing but eat, drink, and loiter growing so fat and lazy that any strange moods just result in a dwarven fleshball bruising the occasional passer-by.

Yes, your perpetual fortress is nothing but a bunch of skill-less, fat, dirty, naked dwarves slapping each other feebly in a drunken stupor.

YOU WIN!
hrmm, so i am doing it right

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:20 pm »

There is no win.  There is only create FUN.
Dwarfed it up for ya.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:18 am »

I consider myself to have won a few forts ago. I built my fortress such that I could defend against flying creatures. This was the Civ Forge mod with flying ants and wasps. I could close off the fort entrances using drawbridges, and my crossbow dwarves could patrol the entire perimeter of the fort along one-tile wide corridors with fortifications on both sides and a roof overhead. Stairs led up directly to the corridor from below without exposing the dwarves to the outside. My military was 9 squads of 3 dwarfs each. About 4 of the squads were Xbow. In 30 years I killed nearly 30 forgotten beasts. When I was ready, a very brave dwarf miner went on a suicide mission. He began digging outside of the fort until he
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of my dwarves survived.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:44:37 pm by Kon »
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

You don't win at Dwarf Fortress. You just get a little better every time..

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 12:44:01 pm »

Winning at Dwarf Fortress? Madness. Madness I tell you!

Actually, it's all about survival of the fittest and my dwarfs must be the fittest of the fittest.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »

Win? There're a win condition? All I've been doing is building, planning, digging, manfacturing, planting, slaughtering, genociding invaders, buying caravans out. What's the win?  :o

Silliness aside, the win condition is set by you, this is a sandbox, after all, you molds it to your desire, with what you can grab and put together, the win condition is when you have nowhere further to go on with what you have  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]