Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you win Dwarf fortress?  (Read 15981 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you win Dwarf fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »

But you can build a stairway to heaven.  With which you can build a lead moon full of magma, and blast your fort with it.

After the lead moon is ready, turn off cave-in and remove the stairs. Voilá! You have artificial moon (the stairs should be the only thing that supported the moon before deconstruction)

Bonus points: Make the moon as near perfect ball as possible
More Bonus points: Construct hatch at the bottom of the moon, linked lever. The moon should be over your entrance. Now, when target is under the moon (preferably in artificial empty pool), pull the lever and all the magma forms "waterfall" filling the pool and killing the target... 8)

Wow, that sounds like an awesome Megaproject: Create a deathstar in which your dwarves live, or some kind of flying fortress :D

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 06:13:53 am »

Make sure it's fully armed and operational

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:03 am »

How do you win Dwarf fortress?

The answer to an astounding array of questions of all sorts is, of course:
Magma.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:24 am »

[cue Russian accent]In California, fast 0-60 transition is impressive.  In Dwarf Fortress, impressive is fas 60-0 transition!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 10:10:26 am »

How do you win Dwarf Fortress?  By playing! :D

Real answer, like everyone else has said: it's an infinite sandbox game like SimCity, etc. It goes on forever with no actual goals other than what you make for yourself.

If you've made many successful forts that have lasted for a long time, try a challenge.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Challenges

If you have experienced a lot of the same content and are looking for something different, try a terrain and environment you have not had to deal with before.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 04:41:41 pm »

You technicly can not win but there are certain things that can make your fortress worthy of winning. Examples are winning an official DF Masters Competition, becoming the next boatmurdered, or having a super popular character like Captain Ironblood, Morrul, or Cacame Awemedinade.

edit:
Almost forgot, make something like Flarechannel counts to.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:46:11 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 04:06:49 pm »

After the lead moon is ready, turn off cave-in and remove the stairs. Voilá! You have artificial moon (the stairs should be the only thing that supported the moon before deconstruction)

Bonus points: Make the moon as near perfect ball as possible
More Bonus points: Construct hatch at the bottom of the moon, linked lever. The moon should be over your entrance. Now, when target is under the moon (preferably in artificial empty pool), pull the lever and all the magma forms "waterfall" filling the pool and killing the target... 8)

For extra extra bonus points, model a grinning face into the bottom of the moon, back up your save file, play for 72 real-life hours, then turn cave-ins back on. once your fortress is obliterated, reload your old save, and do it all over again.

Eventually, you could try to have one legendary hunter or trapper build four colossi to hold up the moon.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 06:15:01 pm »

There exists no win condition for DF, no point where the game says you've won. There are, however, lots of lose conditions, though most of them boil down to "Yer dorfs 'ave died". Personally, I call it a win if I can a) get the king/queen, b) get a full 160 dwarfs, c) survive 10 years, or d) build a monument to the awesomeness of my fortress. E) all of the above is usually a goal, but I'm satisfied with any of those.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:36 pm »

Perhaps a useful analogy would be pinball. What's the win condition on pinball? To have the highest score - once you've lost.

I think there are many different ways to "win" the game - at the moment, I've started equipping my fortresses with a "Hall of Records", each year engraving a different wall. My "win condition" is having a list of amazing carvings illustrating the more interesting things that have occurred in the fortress and the world. The more interesting the better. Keep playing until either wiped out or bored. To make the first option more likely than the second, I forbid myself the construction of traps or elaborate defensive setups.

Other options have already been mentioned - the construction of a megaproject, the attainment of immense wealth etc. Personally, I just like to construct history, and view my fortresses as adding to the richness of the procedurally generated world.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:14 am »

Look at it this way: what happens when you loose? The fortress ends. So logically, when your your fortress hasn't ended, you haven't lost. And in a game where there's only a loose-condition, the win-condition is not meeting the loose-condition. So, as long as you have a fortress up and running, you're winning!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »

That's like asking, "How heavy is red?"  Strictly speaking, "win" isn't a condition that exists in relation to DF.  In fact, it's actually a bit of a misnomer as well to say you can actually lose.  The simulation merely ends at some point.  Kind like life actually....
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 01:01:25 pm »

If I was a Sims fanboy, I'd go "what?! The whole point of the game is you can't win! You're supposed to set your own goals!".

However, I am not a Sims fanboy, so I will agree that DF gets a bit monotonous in the middle and late game when you have everything running smoothly. This is fortunately something Toady says he will address when the time comes.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »

There is no win.  There is only create.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »

I think you win it when you lose. Losing can be incredibly satisfying in masochist way when you see your creation be torn into bits.

other way to "win" is to build an army that cannot be defeated in open battle but this is a temporary "win" because there will always be a tougher guy and even the strongest will fall sometime. "you can win a battle but not a war."

The most common win is when you slaughter a kitten. It's somehting to celebrate with a handshake.. with yourself

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

To win I believe you have to head to the circus, beat up the clowns and make a blue dining room in their place. Then you have won.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3