Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Windmill animation  (Read 3993 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill animation
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:13 am »

How about 'because it looks cool'?

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 01:09:34 am »

This is dwarf fortress, do you honestly expect anything to make sense?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:14:03 am by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:00 am »

I don't know if I expect it to, but the idea is for it to, so I think it's certainly preferable. I mean, you are aware that the total nonsense parts of DF aren't intentional, right?

How about 'because it looks cool'?

Hey, if there's historical precedent and reason for it, then why not? I've personally never seen any evidence of them and am having trouble doing so, though.

(EDIT)

For what it's worth:
  • I have no idea why you'd build a horizontal windmill, since vertical windmills can be built to face the wind anyway. I didn't know this about ten minutes ago.
  • Windmills do tend to have sort of an incline to the sails, so maybe it does make sense enough to show them spinning. Maybe that's what the current animation is for. Kind of splitting hairs at that point, though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:28:14 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:47 am »

Because there's a clear historical precedent for bottomless pits full of batmen and massive underground cave systems populated by hostile snakemen.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:30:23 am »

Historical precedent isn't as important as whether or not it makes sense, and there's a difference between "fantasy" and "nonsense". Obviously DF has fantasy elements, but there's a difference between "there are fantasy elements in a self-consistent world" and "let's go hog-wild and implement stuff no matter how absurd it is, just because it would be cool". That's why we don't have steampunk dwarves riding dragons around and firing buckshot-blunderbusses at elves.

In other news, Firefox's spellchecker recognizes "blunderbusses" but not "dwarves".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 01:33:26 am »

Well if you want to make the concept sound, put a wind shield in front of one side, now it will work.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:05 am »

Okay, now you're just overcomplicating the concept of a building in a way that just barely passes as sensible (and wouldn't particularly work anyway, since the windshield might wind up facing the wind) in order to support the ASCII animation that you marginally prefer over another.

Seriously, at this point, a better argument would be "well, the windmill is sort of inclined anyway, and it already takes up a 3x3 spot with the outer tiles walkable, so just animate the thing going in a circle or an oval or something."

:D Sigged

I think this is the first time I've said anything supposedly worth sigging. Hooray!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 01:43:08 am »

Seriously, at this point, a better argument would be "well, the windmill is sort of inclined anyway, and it already takes up a 3x3 spot with the outer tiles walkable, so just animate the thing going in a circle or an oval or something."

I'm pretty sure i said something along those lines that a couple of posts back.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 01:49:10 am »

:D Sigged

I think this is the first time I've said anything supposedly worth sigging. Hooray!

I think you need to take a closer look at who is supposedly getting sigged.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 02:36:44 am »

I like it just the way it is.

That's the way they work here in Oz, anyway... turn to face the wind and then start spinning.  For a top-down view, it's already as accurate as it gets.  Except, perhaps for the wind-vane to do the orienting.

I'm against the idea of having it as a vertical windmill.  Sure, it'd look cool but it'd increase the CPU loading.  All 9 tiles would have to be animated constantly while the windmill is running, instead of the current 3.

I'd much rather put the CPU cycles to getting some decent FPS from my 100+ fort than to try and make my windmill farm look... "pretty."   :P

(And before you write off an extra 6 tiles as "negligible," don't forget that some of us have windmill farms as large, if not larger, as their forts...)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:38:36 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 03:10:27 am »

(And before you write off an extra 6 tiles as "negligible," don't forget that some of us have windmill farms as large, if not larger, as their forts...)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Immibis/Water_reactor
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 03:26:59 am »

That assumes sufficient water is available in the first place.  ;D
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 04:23:35 am »

Pff, you just need a screw pump and a murky pool to set yourself off a perpertual motion machine.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 04:29:35 am »

Horizontal windmills major advantage over vertical is that it can catch the wind going in any direction.

Its major disadvantage that it needs to be manually started each time you want it to catch the wind well. Vertical windmills are self starting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:47 am »

Horizontal windmills major advantage over vertical is that it can catch the wind going in any direction.

Its major disadvantage that it needs to be manually started each time you want it to catch the wind well. Vertical windmills are self starting.

I'm not actually sure horizontal windmills would work for the same reason that a water wheel doesn't work when fully submerged in water; the current hits both sides.

They do look cool though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3