Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Windmill animation  (Read 3991 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windmill animation
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

I've noticed that when a windmill is built, it shows the following animation once:
Code: [Select]
  /      \    |
 O  =O=   O   O
/          \  |
Then it alternates between these two frames until it is destroyed:
Code: [Select]
║   |
O   ║
║   |
Why is this?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

radish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill animation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:41:58 pm »

At first it's spinning to point in the direction of the wind, and then it is just spinning.
Actually I do not know...

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »

I always figured the same as radish. First it rotates to face the wind, then it... rotates.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

I always figured it was like setting up a sentry gun in TF2 or something where it takes a second for all the mechanical parts to whirl together until it's a plain old windmill and then begins spinning regularly as if nothing ever happened.

Spah sappin' mah windmill!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:50 pm »

The plane of rotation is actually horizontal, you just need to screw the tower into the ground to start. Thats why it can hookup through a floor layer.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:53 am »

I wonder if there's a way to make it so that animation replaces the other optionally?

It could make my airship at least look that much cooler.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:41:56 am »

The plane of rotation is actually horizontal, you just need to screw the tower into the ground to start. Thats why it can hookup through a floor layer.
:D Sigged
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:53:14 am by immibis »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »

Its spinning once in a horizontally once, then it starts to spin vertically. That's what you are seeing. As to why? I don't know. Ask Toady.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »

It doesn't really make any sense to retain the first animation given, since you're viewing it from the top-down. Obviously, the windmill shouldn't spin horizontally, and if you note the tiles it actually occupies, it doesn't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 12:30:02 am »

It doesn't really make any sense to retain the first animation given, since you're viewing it from the top-down. Obviously, the windmill shouldn't spin horizontally, and if you note the tiles it actually occupies, it doesn't.
Windmills occupy a 3x3 area.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 12:38:46 am »

Wait, seriously? Damn. I think I was thinking of water wheels.

Still, I think it makes more sense to animate them from a top-down angle, since that's basically how you're seeing them anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:57:46 am »

It doesn't really make any sense to retain the first animation given, since you're viewing it from the top-down. Obviously, the windmill shouldn't spin horizontally

Orly.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:08 am »

Yes, really.

The reason you're seeing them there in that fashion is because the perspective is a shallow angle. Note that because of this, the windmill's graphical representation overlaps tiles the windmill itself does not exist on, which doesn't really happen in DF, since everything is top-down, i.e. every tile you see the windmill is on, the windmill is actually on.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:52 am »

What i'm saying is that a vertical windmill, although probably not as efficient as a horizontal one, can look kind of cool anyway as you can see from the pic from AoM.

Having it spin horizontally would also make it make sense to be 3x3.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05:15 am »

You're right, I completely missed the actual point of that image. I was focusing too much on the perspective to actually notice that it's oriented differently from a traditional one.

So yeah, that kind of thing would work, although I'm not really sure why you'd design it that way - maybe so it can capture wind as effectively regardless of its direction?
Pages: [1] 2 3