Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get dwarven armor?  (Read 1273 times)

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get dwarven armor?
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »

How can I get some armor for my dwarven adventurer, who started with only clothes?  I can only find the "large" size in human shops, we already went through the fact Dwarves don't have shops, and I don't have any abandoned forts in the region.  Do I have no choice but to strangle my bearded brethren?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarven armor?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:55:03 pm »

How can I get some armor for my dwarven adventurer, who started with only clothes?  I can only find the "large" size in human shops, we already went through the fact Dwarves don't have shops, and I don't have any abandoned forts in the region.  Do I have no choice but to strangle my bearded brethren?

You could bring a dwarf with you on a dangerous quest, instead.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »

Well, you could always punch them to death.

...yeah, that's pretty much it.  Since you don't have any abandoned forts, you can't pick up any dwarf-sized leavings.  You'll just have to buckle down and start dwarf-hunting.

Dwarves use small, stout armor.  Humans use large armor.  Elves use large, narrow armor.  Goblins use small armor.  This means every race has its own unique size and shape, and cannot use the equipment from any other race. 

Humans are the only ones who have easy access to more equipment that's their own size.  Elves are really boned, as elves don't use metal or animal products.  You won't be able to find any really good armor for them (unless a few elves have joined another civ during worldgen, in which case they'll start using elf-sized armor based on the types and material used by that civ.  But this, of course, can't be relied upon).

Dwarves have a doubly hard time, as they have to wander around those baffling underground forts in order to find someone who wears the same size high boots.

PRE-POST EDIT:  Or, as Don just pointed out, you could try hiring an adventurer dwarf.  You could even go so far as to hire your own adventurer dwarves by retiring several dudes in a town that's easy to find.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »

Simple, light a fire, the common !!Urist!! does not notice until they are dead.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:37 pm »

Take regular armor and cover it with spikes, rings and bands of gold.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:35 pm »

You can retire any dwarf adventurer in a civilisation, and when you get him back he will have fitting armour for the civilisation you retired in. At least so I think, I haven't tested this much as my adventurers never last long enough to retire.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »

You can retire any dwarf adventurer in a civilisation, and when you get him back he will have fitting armour for the civilisation you retired in. At least so I think, I haven't tested this much as my adventurers never last long enough to retire.
...You don't mind killing yourself?

just saying.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.