Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I think I just broke probability.  (Read 3855 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just broke probability.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 06:08:36 pm »

To summarize the same probability laws that we all know equally well by using a different example, I shall say "It is very unlikely that a very unlikely outcome occurs." If this actually happened without RNG broken-ness, congratulations on magically defying insanely low odds! If this happened due to the RNG messing up, congratulations! You can't tell the difference anyways!

Have a drink to celebrate.

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »

There is a near-infinite number of worlds, but not all of them are habitable. Therefore there must be a finite number of habitable worlds.

sorry. i have to cry foul. There are an infinite number of real numbers, but not all of them are irrational, therefore there must be a finite number of irrational numbers.
This is analogous to what you said, (edit: except I'm not too sure what you meant by near-infinite) but is very very wrong. In fact, if you consider the set of all real numbers, and remove all *rational* numbers (an infinite number) from the set, your remaining set has the same cardinality (is the same "infinite size", as opposed to being a different infinite "size") as it had before. The rational numbers are such a small set that they're a drop in the bucket of the irrationals.

so.
the fact that there are (edit)near-(/edit)infinite uninhabitable worlds, mathematically, has no bearing on whether the number of habitable worlds is (edit)non-near-infinite(/edit) or not. Additionally, we have no information on the cardinality of each set. It's possible that the habitables outrank the uninhabitables by a fair bit, though if I were to guess, i'd say that they're of the same cardinality; it takes a LOT to shift cardinality of an infinite set.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:15:10 pm by jugglervr »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:29 pm »

I have reason to believe that there are 1010 seeds possible. This would mean that each world gen has a 1 in 1010 chance to be the same as the one before.

Although it is certainly within the realms of possibility that of all the worlds generated by all the DF players there has been at least 1 identical pair, the impressive thing here is that they were generated by the same person, right after each other.

This can be confirmed if the OP still has the saves and can extrace the seeds from them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:50:05 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »

Your point being?
The standard set of world gens is completely mostly different from one with a key generation setting changed (min vol, min sav, min temp, min rain etc), as a normal set of worlds is very unlikely to have a map completely made out of 20 min volcanism squares.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 11:55:31 pm »

The seed numbers I have are generally either 9 or low 10 digit numbers, so I would guess that the seed is a randomly generated number between 0 and 2^32-1.  Very roughly, that's a one-in-a-billion chance.

I'd say the simple answer is to try to generate a world using the same parameters again, because maybe you just accidentally re-used a seed without knowing it.

Otherwise, you just happened to be the lucky monkey who's just won the nobel prize in literature.  If such luck persists, I would suggest trying to play the lottery, while being very, very careful to stay inside during lightning storms, as the probabilities of those are mere 1 in several million.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 11:58:20 pm »

The RNG generates a 4-byte number for each seed, meaning there are 0x100000000, or 4,294,967,296 possible results that can come up.  So he didn't get so much a one-in-a-million result as a one-in-four-billion result.
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:03:44 am »

The RNG generates a 4-byte number for each seed, meaning there are 0x100000000, or 4,294,967,296 possible results that can come up.  So he didn't get so much a one-in-a-million result as a one-in-four-billion result.

Uh, yeah, that's what I said... 0 to 2^32-1.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:28:48 am »

Fair enough, but your analogy was slightly off as a result of your not posting the actual number.

Also, I am painfully aware of how comparatively easy it is to get a computer to actually generate the same 4-byte value twice in a row, because as it so happens, digital randomizers are very very bad at being random.  A fact that has been driven home repeatedly for me any time I try to play any game where the randomizer is given an unhealthy-high level of control over the proceedings.
Sanity is for the weak.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:59 pm »

aight, here's how it works.

Either you are going to be able to gen the same world twice in a row or you aren't.  Two possibilities.  ie. a 50% chance of either.

Now to find actual probability of this occurance I will make up some numbers; let's say there are 1 million DF players who each generate an average of 10 worlds a week.

Therefore the odds that at least one world will be a duplicate of the one before it is
(1-(.5^(10^7)))
or damn near 100%.  Expected value of course is .5*(10^7) or 5,000,000
I would go on to calculate standard deviation and perhaps even a proof of normality(though it's not necissary here). But its the weekend

And I just broke probability

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »

Either you are going to be able to gen the same world twice in a row or you aren't.  Two possibilities.  ie. a 50% chance of either.
Um, no, I don't think that's 50% either way.

More or less 99.98% and 0.02%. Or somewhere close to that. There is only one combination that generates the same world; any different combination does not.

So when you look at every single possible combination, the likelihood of the EXACT SAME combination occurring a second time IMMEDIATELY is...really, really, really, really freaking small.

So yeah.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 03:12:47 pm »

Well, I didn't use the "Generate new world with parameters" option, so it was just the seed that would have to be the same.

But yes, I do agree that it's more likely the RNG failed somehow than that it actually generated the same number twice.  With pseudo-random numbers, that should actually be impossible.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 03:20:03 pm »

taking the results of this discussion out of context and to the extreme, at some point, somewhere else in the universe there will be a blue planet with intelligent life forms living on it who call themselves humans. these humans will create a massive network of machines and information and call it "the internet" on this "internet" there will be all sorts of things such as articles, science stuff, and games. One such game will be called dwarf fort. this game will have a forum. forumites of this game will discuss the probability of generating two worlds exactly alike in a row on a pseudo-random world generator.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 03:31:15 pm »

taking the results of this discussion out of context and to the extreme, at some point, somewhere else in the universe there will be a blue planet with intelligent life forms living on it who call themselves humans. these humans will create a massive network of machines and information and call it "the internet" on this "internet" there will be all sorts of things such as articles, science stuff, and games. One such game will be called dwarf fort. this game will have a forum. forumites of this game will discuss the probability of generating two worlds exactly alike in a row on a pseudo-random world generator.
Building on this, I have a question.

In which world will Dwarf Fortress be "finished" first?

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

The one that doesn't end in 2012.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3