Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D16, D17, D19? What does it mean?  (Read 5722 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D16, D17, D19? What does it mean?
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:59:03 am »

What does the number after the "D" mean? Is the 20th one going to be DF2010? What's going on?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: D16, D17, D19? What does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:09 am »

The d# releases are interim releases of Dwarf Fortress 0.28.141.40d.  They add minor updates to the interface, as well as various non-gameplay-related features and speed tweaks.  Gameplay-wise, they're identical to 40d, but they often run at least a bit faster than 40d.  "DF2010" is just the community nickname for the next major release of Dwarf Fortress, which has been approaching release-worthy candidate status for the last 3 or 4 months.
Sanity is for the weak.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:29 am »

They're a series of releases that are testing new output code in an independent direction from Toady's current work on the main game.  They don't have any major new features (beyond macros) that are not related to display and have more display bugs, but some people find that the latest releases run much faster than 40d.

When Toady releases DF 2010, he'll have integrated the code from the 40d# series into it.  Between that and checking for bugs, that's all he's got left to do.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:57 am »

Ok, thanks.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:07:23 am »

I always thought that it's a dice you have to roll to determine whether your DF's handling improves or lags more.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:34:28 am »

Or if it doesn't work and sends a bunch of insulting e-mails to your employer.

*disclaimer: the D# series works fine for me! That was a joke! Yay for Baughn!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:42 am »

They allow semi-graphical tilesets, so you can have a little green Pokemon looking thing instead of a g for goblin and stuff like that.  I think all the 40D# versions are basically trying to optimize and debug the graphics issues and offload some of the work generated by that to the graphics card.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:56 am »

Why post a thread instead of reading the stickied thread at the top of the forum?   The opening post explains it.

This is not DF 2010. This is merely an update to 40d providing better performance and some other enhancements. It will be part of '10, however, it has no gameplay changes.

As you may be aware, Dwarf Fortress' approach to OpenGL leaves something to be desired. To the point of my writing terrible hacks like DF Accelerator, even..

At any rate, Toady has decided to do something about that, and did it by releasing the relevant source code so others could help.

This has been done: The code has been converted to use SDL by Bernard Helyer, and the output and input code was then optimized and enhanced by yours truly. It is almost complete. However, for Toady to accept the code into the next version of DF, your assistance is needed: It must be tested. This takes many dwarves.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:21 am »

They allow semi-graphical tilesets, so you can have a little green Pokemon looking thing instead of a g for goblin and stuff like that.  I think all the 40D# versions are basically trying to optimize and debug the graphics issues and offload some of the work generated by that to the graphics card.

You can do this in 40d too; there's no reason why not.

The 40d# series adds some transparency support, but only "transparency" in the sense of transparency between the background color and other colors (there is no sense of multiple graphics existing on a single tile).

Creature graphics support has not changed in this manner; where did you get your information?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »

I love how he won't fix what he broke.
Adventure mode is pretty much broken, and going to stay that way until DF2010.
So we're going to have a considerable delay on "DF2010" (I abhor calling it that, as it's fairly likely we'll have several releases this year) when Toady gets to the point of fixing that.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »

I love how he won't fix what he broke.
Adventure mode is pretty much broken, and going to stay that way until DF2010.
So we're going to have a considerable delay on "DF2010" (I abhor calling it that, as it's fairly likely we'll have several releases this year) when Toady gets to the point of fixing that.
By my understanding, it's due to uncovering bugs that Toady had in the original version that weren't apparent until the display revamp.  Baughn can't fix them, and though he'd theoretically be able to code a workaround or two, Toady fixing them will be much more efficient since he's got the actual code for Adventure Mode at hand, leaving Baughn more time to iron out the bugs and other issues that the display revamp itself has.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:31:58 pm »

When Toady releases DF 2010, he'll have integrated the code from the 40d# series into it.  Between that and checking for bugs, that's all he's got left to do.
Actually, their current thinking (I think) is that they won't integrate the 40d# series in before the DF 2010 release -- it'd take too long, and the release has been delayed enough already.  They'll release DF 2010 without the 40d# series integrated, then integrate it later.

At least, that's what they were discussing last time I checked.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 06:01:26 pm »

"Merge with the 40d# stuff"
its the last item in his list and it is in working on status.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:35 pm »

Toady will merge. It was an example threat of what migt be dropped if a release were to be rushed because of donations issues. But there are no issues; our funds will flow with the force of twelve z levels of 7/7 water; the release will be launched forth! It sails high! It hits the bugs! It explodes in gore!

Where was I?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:54 pm »

"Merge with the 40d# stuff"
its the last item in his list and it is in working on status.
Toady will merge. It was an example threat of what migt be dropped if a release were to be rushed because of donations issues. But there are no issues; our funds will flow with the force of twelve z levels of 7/7 water; the release will be launched forth! It sails high! It hits the bugs! It explodes in gore!

Where was I?

Actually, there really is a good chance that the merge will happen after the release.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:59:08 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: [1] 2