Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu: Same time next week?  (Read 8233 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Call of Cthulhu: Same time next week?
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »

So my Rogue Trader game seems to be garnering little interest from people who actually know how to play, and I'm not entirely keen on teaching its complicated rules to an entire group that doesn't know the rules or have the book, so I'm going to settle for something a bit cooler and a bit lighter on the rules.  The simpler system should allow even people who don't know how to play to get in on it, and the simpler character creation system means we can make them right in-game for the first session.

I've got a preliminary adventure floating around in my head and forming into something that just might be cool, if it doesn't come together well I'll just use one someone else has made, LaBosierre's in particular are great.  If the game goes awesome and everyone loves it I might expand it into a campaign, I'll be sure to leave openings for that in the adventure.

Anyway, important information.

Call of Cthulhu is a horror RPG.  Each player controls an investigator.  The person doesn't have to be a private investigator, he can be any reasonable 1920's profession, but investigation is a large part of the game so that's what the PCs are called.  You and your friends are presented with some kind of anomalous horror and must figure out just what's going on and how to stop it.  While that may involve loading up on guns and blowing said horror away, more often than not attempting to shoot your way through the adventure will lead to death/madness/being arrested.

Your real weapon is knowledge, but it comes with a terrible price.  In order to stop the things that you face, you have to learn about them, and doing so forces your mind to walk alien paths and comprehend things men weren't meant to comprehend.  Doing so steadily lowers your maximum sanity, bringing you closer and closer to permanent, inescapable madness.  Don't play if you get attached to your characters.  Bad things will happen to them, and immense sacrifices will be required if you want the people you care about to live happy lives.

Sit in the library.  Research blasphemous tomes.  Cast mind-warping spells.  Contact malevolent entities.  Kill cultists.  Fight monsters.  Summon monsters.  Stare into the abyss.  Be stared back at.  Go insane.  ???  Profit.

You should probably already know that, it seems like just about everyone on the forum is familiar with Cthulhu to some extent.

Now that I've gotten all the fancy talk out of the way, let's get down to business.  I'm looking for three to five players.  Knowledge of the rules is greatly appreciated, but not required, they aren't complicated and can be taught as we go along.

We'll be using Fantasy Grounds most likely.  You can buy it if you want but I'll feel bad if you buy it and this never takes off.  You could also "obtain" it, but I don't condone such behavior and if you do it don't talk about how you did it in the thread.  We won't be using any fancy modules because they're expensive, instead we'll use the standard D20 and keep all the data we need in the notes section.  It works just fine, and Fantasy Grounds is an awesome virtual tabletop.

I'm on Spring Break, so I have plenty of room to adapt to your schedules.  Please provide what times you're available and your time zone.  I'm GMT-5.  If you can't do Fantasy Grounds and would rather do something else, say so, and we'll figure something out.

I think that's about it.  If more needs to be said I'll add more.

STRIKE THE NECRONOMICON

Oh, one more thing.  I'm sorry Aqizzar but this will not have nearly the scope you claim Ruby Quest has.  I still haven't read it, so I dunno.  Maybe if I go for a campaign it'll be bigger and crazier, but this is going to be a smaller-scale thing while I gauge how feasible one is.

Doodz:

Aqizzar
GMT -6 Central Time, busy 9PM to 4AM Sunday-Thursday, and from 10AM-4PM Monday-Thursday.  Fridays and Saturdays are the good days.

Random Number Generator
GMT-5 11AM-11PM Mon-Wed-Fri

Cerej

CJ1145
GMT-5, Weekends
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sounds like we'll probably go for Friday, some time in the afternoon or evening most likely.

As for waiting lists and the like, we may or may not go through investigators like a wheat thresher through orphans, but unless the initial adventure turns into a massacre we probably won't be replacing anyone during the first adventure.  If you want on the waiting list anyway, go for it.

IMPORTANT:  WE WILL BE USING FANTASY GROUNDS 2, ALONG WITH HAMACHI TO AVOID PORT ISSUES.  JOIN THE HAMACHI SERVER (INFO BELOW) AND I WILL GET YOU SORTED OUT.  IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE HAMACHI, FIGURE IT OUT, IT'S NOT HARD

ID:     Call of Cthulhu
Pass:  bay12

Waiting List:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:16:57 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu: Madness and Death in the 1920's - Gauging Interest
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »

Chatlog of session 1.

Story so far:

The investigators, Anthony "Tony Baloney" Richter, Benjamin "The Ganja-man" Mathers, Roland G. "C." S. Colbert, and Sebastian Chip "The Dip" Willows all receive letters about their dearly departed friend/colleague/whatever, Edgar Carnby (Yeah, I'm clever). He kilt himself with a revolvah.  They all go to the town of Brightridge, Massachusetts to attend his funeral and clean out his house.  He didn't write a will, so the property was to be sold and divided up among his family living in Brightridge.  Upon reaching Brightridge, they checked in and headed out.  Once at the home, they met Harvey Smith, a somewhat corpulent nephew of Edgar's, who explained the dealio.  They went in, poked around, found a copy of the Malleus Maleficarum (Which is already taken, if you're forming a metal band.  Sorry) as well as an old lockbox.  Roland found a piece of Edgar's skull and lost 2 sanity.  The lockbox held a scary artifact, a manuscript, and a suicide note, talking about how Edgar made some kind of Faustian bargain and couldn't handle paying his due, so he killed himself.

At the funeral, they heard something like a sonic boom come from inside the oddly-shaped silo.  The silo was locked up tighter than a "your mom" joke, and they decided to come back that night.  They  loaded up on lots of guns and went for it.  Inside, Sebastian was captured by two hillbillies, the Watsons, and there was a moment of intense excitement.  The hillbillies calmly explained that the Second Coming was upon them, and Jesus was looking for the aforementioned strange artifact. Benjamin overheard, hid the artifact in the garden, and then distracted the hicks.  Roland and Sebastian took the chance to knock them out, and then a third hillbilly hit Benjamin in the chest with a woodcutting axe.  They killed the hick, and bandaged up Benjamin.  As they headed back to town to call the sheriff and tell them that Harvey Smith had been kidnapped (He had been kidnapped, if you didn't know), something landed on the back of Roland's car, and the hillbillies were overjoyed at the arrival of what they called the Angel Gabriel.

Was it the Angel Gabriel?  Was it something else?(Probably)  Will they rescue Harvey?  What does Jesus have to do with all this?  Why did Edgar commit suicide?  What is the secret of the artifact and the manuscript?  What will the cops do about the dead hillbilly?  All this and more will be answered, next Saturday.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:16:11 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:41 pm »

GMT -6 Central Time, busy 9PM to 4AM Sunday-Thursday, and from 10AM-4PM Monday-Thursday.  Fridays and Saturdays are the good days.

For the record, I've never played Call of Cthulhu, although I do have the rulebook.  Er, some rulebook anyway.  I hope different versions are relatively compatible.  No idea how to actually play it, so I'll brush up, but I know it's a pretty lightweight system that emphasizes the RP part of RPG.

Also, Fantasy Grounds version 2 is okay, right?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »

By that do you mean Fantasy Grounds 2?  I have that one too, they'll both work I assume.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:50 pm »

Ooh. I love reading H.P. Lovecraft's works, and this sounds like a great idea!

I can't wait to fail my SAN roll.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »

Times available?
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

UTC/GMT +8 hours

Please don't hurt me.

But then again, I am usually on from 10:00 here to 9:00... I'm stuck at home forevar.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »

I'll join. I'm actually in the process of reading Call of Cthulhu right now. I never read any of H.P. Lovecraft's works until about a week ago, so I'm just getting into it... not sure if that's bad, but meh.

Anyway, I guess I will sign up as a scholar of some sort... archeologist maybe?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »

Times available?

Anyway, that's cool.  Knowing too much dilutes the horror anyway.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »

hey Cthulhu, is my Time zone bad for the game? If so, I don't wanna be a burden.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »

If you're available for as much time as you say, we can probably work around it.  We had Neruz in the D&D game and he's GMT+8 too.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

Thats great!  :D

I want to be a former mafia hitman with a penchant for shooting stuff, but I'll probably get eaten/go insane/start worshipping some random Elder God/Old One/die...

Are we gonna use chat for this?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

Fantasy Grounds, that was in the OP.

Anyway, I'm not sure that gels with what I have in mind for the campaign.  I could work you in to it, though, I have an idea that doesn't change anything in the adventure.  We'll see.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »

I have no idea how to work Fantasy Grounds, but I will try and learn how to adapt to join this awesome game.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 11:28:58 pm »

Times available?

Anyway, that's cool.  Knowing too much dilutes the horror anyway.

Almost anytime, but I can't guarantee anything. Monday, Wendnesday and Friday 11 AM-11 PM EST works, or Tuesday and
Thursday 4 PM-11PM EST.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7