Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground rivers have tiny chasms.  (Read 1744 times)

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground rivers have tiny chasms.
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:07 pm »

Went back to my first fort which was originally abandoned in spirit because of a lack of interest and also a mediocrity in playing and ran reveal and I found some pretty cool shit among all the boring stone.

It appears to be an underground river with no actual source leading off map falling into what seems to be the smallest bottomless pit/chasm I've ever seen.  How could this happen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:20:40 pm by armadilloHD »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: First fort discoveries! Smallest Bottomless pit ever! Sourceless UR!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »

All underground rivers are like that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »

Sorry to be such a buzzkill, but that actually seems to be quite common. The last couple of times I generated a world with an underground river I wished for it not to drain in a chasm.

While having a mini-chasm and drain might be nice in itself, it's a death sentence for your (large) underground river dwellers. Except several screens worth of deceased lizardmen, giant toads, etc., when you press 'u'. Before even discovering that river, that is.

All underground rivers are like that.

But you don't necessarily get that part (with the drain) on your map, right?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »

What they said. If your river begins on the map, it'll appear as if from nowhere, and if it ends on your map it always ends in a little chasm bit there. Otherwise it just goes on and offscreen. Someone should really emphasize this on the wiki; there's a thread like this every now and then.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:25 pm »

Oh don't i feel silly now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »

But you don't necessarily get that part (with the drain) on your map, right?
If you have UGs visible in the site finder (this option is in the init file), then embarking with a site that contains both of the end tiles of the river will give you the drain. One end tile and it's 50/50 whether you get source or drain*, and no end tiles equals... no chance of a chasm, and the river will source from the edge of the map in the same way as an above-ground one.

*assuming you don't have prior knowledge of the flow direction, natch.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

If you have UGs visible in the site finder (this option is in the init file), then embarking with a site that contains both of the end tiles of the river will give you the drain. One end tile and it's 50/50 whether you get source or drain*, and no end tiles equals... no chance of a chasm, and the river will source from the edge of the map in the same way as an above-ground one.

*assuming you don't have prior knowledge of the flow direction, natch.

Makes sense.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Underground rivers have tiny chasms.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »

The best part about this is that if you embark on the whole river and dig out the rest of the mountain, you end up with an awesome waterslide.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

I had a Fun situation once where the river didn't end in a chasm, instead flowing off the edge of the map. For whatever reason the rate of flow of water into the river was greater than the rate it could drain off the edge. The result was that the entire tunnel carved out by the stream was filled with pressurized water. And there was a lot of tunnel.

I wound up puncturing the roof of the underground stream down near its lower reaches. Since I came in through the roof there wasn't a "damp rock" warning. All I got was an "Urist McMiner cancels job: dangerous terrain", and then by the time I'd paused and gone over to have a look half my fort was flooded with high-velocity drownage. Lost many dwarves.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »

Neat!

Sadly, I've never seen a pressurized or useful (read: high up enough in a mountain to be of use in traps) underground river. I hope the ones in DF2010 are more Fun.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:18 pm »

Neat!

Sadly, I've never seen a pressurized or useful (read: high up enough in a mountain to be of use in traps) underground river. I hope the ones in DF2010 are more Fun.

Like maybe a year ago someone had a map they called 'Waterworks' - a UG river like 20z off the main ground level and two bottomless pits (one was a 1x1 chasm technically) on that main level. Creates lots of opportunity. You'd have to search it, though.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:04 am »

I had an awesome UG river once. I used it to execute goblins by chucking them over the edge, where they were pushed by the water into the chasm.
Also, UG river water is only pressurized if you hit it at a point lower than the source. I discovered this the hard way in my first fortress.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »

Guys, I hate to be the largest buzzkill ever, but if you didn't already know, the beginning of an UG river is just a little waterfall where the water spawns randomly. And it ends where it waterfalls into a bottomless chasm. Sorry to burst the bubble...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08:29 am »

Essentially restating what has been said several times in this thread already isn't exactly bursting anybody's bubbles. It is a buzzkill all right, but probably not for the reasons you intended.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:33:13 am »

Neat!

Actually, my game has a river hanging out 7 floors above "ground level" that appears on the west end of my embark point, and flows off map fairly soon from there.

I also have a bottomless pit and a chasm and a magma pipe... I'm still hooking them all up to one another.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2