Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords  (Read 5422 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My stonecrafter mooded and became legendary, so I had him make obsidian swords.  I gave all the exceptional ones to the humans and kept only the masterwork blades.  Now, to raise an army of deadly swordsdwarves!  I drafted all my dwarves and set them to train with swords; my theory was that I would keep the ones who became swordsdwarves fastest and let everyone else return to civilian life.  It didn't work out so well; the sparing session was over in mere minutes:

Incidently, how do I get this image submitted for inclusion in the image rotation on the DF Wiki front page?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:02:53 pm by denito »
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:00:37 pm »

Yeah, that is why some prefer to train wrestlers then give them weapons. Wrestlers dodge better.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »

Yeah, that is why some prefer to train wrestlers then give them weapons. Wrestlers dodge better.

In fact I trained them to Talented Wrestler before switching to swords training.  Didn't help.  I think the swords are just that good.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »

Ah, man, I think your plan worked too well.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:34 pm »

wait, you have an artificial sea? or did you flood the fort out of frustration?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »

I guess they didn't make the cut.

cough cough.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »

I gave a bunch of obsidian swords to my military once.

I did not know they were considered as sharp as steel.

Boy, that barracks sure got bloody...

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »

wait, you have an artificial sea? or did you flood the fort out of frustration?

Artificial sea?  Why, no.  I have artificial land!

I found a volcano next to an ocean, and I channeled one side of it so that lava continuously spills into the ocean and enlarges the fortress!  The fortress is dug out of cooled magma beneath the sea.  (Hence why I have so much obsidian.)  The large screenshot is the main level; in screenshot of the barracks you're seeing the Z level that is below the main level, where somehow a flow of obsidian managed to form (or cave in) deeper into the water.  The smaller pool of red 7/7 magma in the screenshot here is directly above the barracks.  Somehow a bit of the ocean managed to get trapped behind the flow that formed my barracks, while an equal and opposite flow of lava got trapped at this level.  The south wall of the barracks is actually 2Z levels below the surface of the ocean.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »

Wow. That's awesome.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:47 pm »

Ouch.  Yeah, you should make sure that, if you have masterwork weapons, you have corresponding masterwork full body armor of a good material.  Obsidian swords are as powerful as steel ones, and you probably lack high-quality metal armor for them, so you can imagine why they slaughtered one another so easily.
Sanity is for the weak.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:09:13 pm »

Yeah... Obsidian is on the same level of effectiveness as Steel weapons. Very FUN when you forget about that.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:04 pm »

Giving obsidian swords to recruits is pretty much my only way of killing anyone.

I'm far too...bad at DF to make drowning pits and whatnot.

Letting them kill each other can be fun, though.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

I had a legendary stonecrafter in the early life of my biggest fortress. I decided, "What the hey." and told him to make a ton of obsidian short swords. Naturally, I got spammed with "has created a masterpiece!" announcements.

After a short while of forgetting about this, I had a migrant wave of useless people. I decided that my small squad of four champions was JUST NOT BIG ENOUGH. I drafted ~20 jobless dwarves into service, handed them whatever scraps of armour we had lying around and sent them to spar with some swords. They all ran off for the exceptional and masterful quality swords and started working! Needless to say, there were injuries. But, there was one particularly ... sadistic swords dwarf. She was a strange woman, to say the least.

Zan Girdergrooves was her name, and she had quite recently just slit the throat of her two fellow recruits, both in the same year. There was a goblin in between those kills, but that's unimportant. Zan was the first of her squad to become a sword master. And, do you know what it said after each dwarven kill? "Zan Girdergrooves has been ecstatic lately. She took joy in slaughter lately. She had a satisfying sparring session recently."

She is now my military second-in-command with a title (she killed two more goblins the next year) of The Clutches of Iron.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:16 pm »

I had a legendary stonecrafter in the early life of my biggest fortress. I decided, "What the hey." and told him to make a ton of obsidian short swords. Naturally, I got spammed with "has created a masterpiece!" announcements.

After a short while of forgetting about this, I had a migrant wave of useless people. I decided that my small squad of four champions was JUST NOT BIG ENOUGH. I drafted ~20 jobless dwarves into service, handed them whatever scraps of armour we had lying around and sent them to spar with some swords. They all ran off for the exceptional and masterful quality swords and started working! Needless to say, there were injuries. But, there was one particularly ... sadistic swords dwarf. She was a strange woman, to say the least.

Zan Girdergrooves was her name, and she had quite recently just slit the throat of her two fellow recruits, both in the same year. There was a goblin in between those kills, but that's unimportant. Zan was the first of her squad to become a sword master. And, do you know what it said after each dwarven kill? "Zan Girdergrooves has been ecstatic lately. She took joy in slaughter lately. She had a satisfying sparring session recently."

She is now my military second-in-command with a title (she killed two more goblins the next year) of The Clutches of Iron.

You know what, keep her as far from the sleeping quarters as possible.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

For anyone who is curious, masterful steel/obsidian weapon causes 266% damage compared to iron base quality weapons, so, massive overkill as one hit does 2 2/3 as much damage as an the non-quality iron weapon.  :P

anyone reading this thread should also note that it is a bad idea to spar with weapons before wrestling to a reliable level, as even one level of toughness might save your dwarf's life!

That's just me though.

Also, don't EVER use a masterful/artifact adamantine weapon in sparring, you'd have to be utterly insane to spar with them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4