Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords  (Read 5417 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

I guess they didn't make the cut.

*puts on dark glasses*

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:47:06 am »

Sounds like a fun way to rid yourself of migrants.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 01:27:06 am »

The first time I built a military, I was unaware sparring could result in injuries.  I went AFK for a few minutes, and came back with only one sworddwarf still alive.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21:40 am »

Oddly i had an artifact steel mace that was in use for better part of two game years, never caused a sparring injury, however whoever took it into battle managed to die... down six champions before i shut down my mace wing of the army, and eventually tossed the cursed peice of crap into the volcano, with the dwarf that made it holding on.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 02:38:45 am »

Oddly i had an artifact steel mace that was in use for better part of two game years, never caused a sparring injury,
Either your dwarves are very lucky that he never killed them with the mace, he had a spinal injury, or he was a wimp.

As a common sparring section with a weapon of that quality goes like this.

Urist smashiface swings at the recruits head!

it is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mess!
Dabok, recruit, has been struck down.

or something to that extent, either way, your dwarves should not have survived that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 03:21:28 am »

The fact that we'll be able to mark weapons for sparring -and they will use only those- is topping my list of most awaited feature in the new version. Those wooden weapons the elves sometimes bring will be so much more useful. Also, copper. Gotta love copper.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 04:54:35 am »

The first time I built a military, I was unaware sparring could result in injuries.  I went AFK for a few minutes, and came back with only one sworddwarf still alive.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:47 am »

I've had fortresses made just for this, masterwork steel/obsidian weapons for everyone, no armour, 5z levels channel all around the barracks(And some in the middle of it, no wrestling, no well.

If a dwarf is worthy of the military, he will survive until championship, after which he gets his very own room in the real fort.(legendaries can be given rooms after economy sets in.), engraved, and every piece of furniture made from his/her favourite materials. He is then put off duty, and only activated to fight off attacks. One champion can destroy entire goblin sieges, and they regularly do.

I've had sparring injuries where limbs were cut off and landed 6 tiles away, lungs and hearths pierced, dwarves hammered off the barracks, into a wall and then into the channels, and if one of those legendary socialite noble kids comes in..Better watch out for the huge stats they get, even with regular sparring weapons and no skill they can kill..And I'm giving them masterwork steel.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 08:41:02 am »

Lets see, all members of this squad have exceptional or masterwork armor and are now ledendary wrestlers. I think it's weapon time! Lets see, no-quality steel spear for you, and masterwork steel axes for the rest of you.

Urist McChampion has been struck down x2

On second thought, I'll have another axe forged.
Gee, when the wiki says to use silver or wood spears for sparring, it really means it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 09:40:17 am »

Oddly i had an artifact steel mace that was in use for better part of two game years, never caused a sparring injury, however whoever took it into battle managed to die... down six champions before i shut down my mace wing of the army, and eventually tossed the cursed peice of crap into the volcano, with the dwarf that made it holding on.

Artifacts can only be equipped by heroes, so odds are, it wasn't used in sparring early on, and if it was picked up, it was after you had fairly tough sparring partners...

Or Armok just completely smited that thing, and it really was cursed with anti-damage.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:33:27 am »

anyone reading this thread should also note that it is a bad idea to spar with weapons before wrestling to a reliable level, as even one level of toughness might save your dwarf's life!
This cannot be stressed enough.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:13 am »

I was under the impression that higher-quality weapons increased effective weapon skill, which DECREASED sparring accidents. ...were these recruits given any armor or shields?
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 11:25:40 am »

That effect only works with ranged weapons, Magil.  For melee weapons, quality and material only affects damage output (and they only affect damage absorption/avoidance with armor).  A dabbling Swordsdwarf is just as inept with a wooden normal-quality longsword as he is with a masterwork Adamantine short sword.  The difference being that he'll kill an awful lot more of his sparring partners with the latter than with the former.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:28:36 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »

Artifacts can only be equipped by heroes, so odds are, it wasn't used in sparring early on, and if it was picked up, it was after you had fairly tough sparring partners...

Or Armok just completely smited that thing, and it really was cursed with anti-damage.
Could it have been an equip bug? Two weapons in the same hand(rendering both useless)? Though that happening several times in a row is so unlikely it'd have to be a curse of Armok.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »

Oh and, if you are sparring your recruits to death, watch out for a tantrum spiral.  ::)

NEVER spar with spears, NEVER, they can pierce even the toughest armor and kill.

Blunt weapons are ok, but in the wrong hands can kill.
Swords are dangerous, so train up before sparring with them.
Axes too, train up.

The reason I'm saying all of this is because, most weapons can kill even with heavy armor, please, just give your dwarves a chance by training in wrestling, they will both gain skill in armor and shield, and get several levels in toughness.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4