Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Water Rise trap.  (Read 4232 times)

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Water Rise trap.
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:59 pm »

DF water pressure gives me physicist headaches, I've never understood it.

1. What is the purpose of the diagonal floodgates?
2. Why is water rising out of the cistern?

The way I would imagine this if this were real, would be I would have water from the tower push the water in the cistern up through the floor, but I'm not sure if DF works that way.

Just to clarify, water pressure is not carried accross diagonals.  So if you have a series of floodgates on the cistern below the trap:

Code: [Select]
~~~~X
~~~X~
~~X~~
~X~~~
X~~~~
~~~~~ Trap area starts z-level above here.
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~

Than the water will not rise, but will fill up the area below the trap totally (make sure the floodgates are not under the trap area so building destroyers can't get to them).  Opening the floodgates allows pressure through, and voila!  Instant water buildup in the trap, if you have a big enough water tower.  In the insta-freeze method, a constructed water tower may not work (The water may freeze inside the trap, I haven't tested it), instead use one that is contained within a natural hill/mountain.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:11:37 pm by Trigonous »
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »

You could also do a drowning trap if you can't make it open air.

Link a lever so that at the same time it opens the floodgates it also shuts drawbridges on either side of your corridor. Water pressure will then instantly flood the passage. With no air above even creatures that can swim but still must breath will drown.

Except for carp.

Armok help you if you're being invaded by carp with legs.   :o

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »

Zombie/skeletal carp can walk.  Thank Armok I've never embarked on a map with zombies.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 01:32:44 pm »

Zombie/skeletal carp can walk.  Thank Armok I've never embarked on a map with zombies.

I have.

Zombie sharks are horrible, horrible things.    :(

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 01:58:25 pm »

carp aren't as lethal when they can't pull your dwarves into the water. I just embarked on a map with TONS of zombie carp... but my proficient swordsdwarves are keeping them at bay. (I experimented with the Dtil embark editor... for fun)

EDIT: Finally finished it... it's not a cryo-freeze trap but oh well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- the water tower and apartments.

- entrance hallway.

- The entrance hallway again, and the control room.

- The plumbing.

Still haven't had a goblin siege to test it on yet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:49:27 am by darkrider2 »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 10:53:18 am »

[second post for bump]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 07:34:13 am »

This is weird. Way back when I was planning a magma pipe fortress, I had this great idea: I should somehow simulate an eruption in my entrance hall to kill invaders! I still have the basics of the idea, using pumps to pressurize magma to the level of the corridor, and then turning off the trap by simply stopping the pumps. Unfortunately, I have yet to devise a system that will allow the magma to drain from the room.

Pumps on one side of the room, iron grates on the other side? Magma flows across room and things are collected once the magma subsides. There will be time where the room is still unsafe due to 1/7 and 2/7 magma, but it will evaporate.

Use carved fortifications to protect your pumps from building destroyers. If the iron grates get destroyed, no big loss. You wouldn't actually need iron grates anyways. Just a simple pit the magma can fall into will do fine.

Maybe make the iron grate at 1 Z level lower than that, so anything pushed off the edge by the magma can still be recovered. Magma falls through iron grates, and nothing can destroy it because everything that gets pushed off has already taken a magma bath.

Actually, I was inspired by somebody's signature here, about building an active volcano inside a fort inside an active volcano. It was a room with a bauxite grate floor and a magma reservoir underneath. When I ordered Urist McIgor to FLIP THE SWITCH, magma would be pumped into the reservoir from the level of the hallway. This pressurized magma would then spew up into the room, killing the goblins, nobles, cats, etc. inside, then another lever would be pulled to stop the pump and open a bauxite floor hatch in the corner of the room, which bypasses the reservoir and drains into my UG river's chasm.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3]