Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102379 times)

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13965 on: April 11, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

no attributes adventures are...very intresting
I'm killing random things just to get my ax rank up as well as physical attributes so i have a chance of survival.
EDIT:my ax skill is around Adept, and my physical attributes in most of the areas (as well as stuff like spatial sense and willpower) are in "above average", but i dont have swimming or dodging
EDIT2:My character died predictably with unluckiness, but it was a good run, I'll do more attributeless runs in this world, giving how fun it is to not have much and start working with stuff.

I need to do a no attribute run at some point. Presumably you are not allowed to make yourself a full custom set of steel armor and an adamantine ax in advance?

Just a guess.
I mean, as long as you dont have any attributes, it counts
less !!Fun!! by random peasants who stab you in the foot then the face/ambushed, but still.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: April 11, 2017, 08:27:37 pm »

I need to do a no attribute run at some point. Presumably you are not allowed to make yourself a full custom set of steel armor and an adamantine ax in advance?

Just a guess.
I mean, as long as you dont have any attributes, it counts
less !!Fun!! by random peasants who stab you in the foot then the face/ambushed, but still.

Okay. But can I still call it a no attribute run if I put some points into becoming a novice reader? It is impossible to get points in that skill by any other means, and the only way that I will benefit from doing this is by raiding a vault or a necromancer tower. And if I manage to do that with 0 other points put into anything, then I think I can still say it was a challenge.

Eh. I'll just call it a no attributes but reading run.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: April 14, 2017, 09:45:19 am »

So is the whole dumbstruck thing a new feature?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:23 am »

No, that's an old bug. We just think it's funny that people are so astonished by our character that they forget their own name.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:35 pm »

No, that's an old bug. We just think it's funny that people are so astonished by our character that they forget their own name.

In the same way, I have discovered in testing that some wild animals, upon introducing themselves to you, just refer to themselves as TRANS_NAME. Wish there was a specific response for this.

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: April 14, 2017, 02:56:32 pm »

So I started a new adventurer in a new world. Decided not to look at legends mode. Made a human adventurer.

In the civ selection screen, no nation stood out, except for one. It was a human civ which also controlled an enormous amount of elven retreats. In fact, I'm pretty sure they conquered an entire elven civ.

So I start a human hero in one of the elven retreats. There was nothing special in the one I started at, so I went to the closest site. Also a forest retreat. One with a tavern.

I visit the tavern hoping to find some companions. Sure enough, there was an elven spearman there, along with a tavern keeper. Nothing unusual.

So I strike up a conversation with the tavern keeper and she tells me how there's a roc lair on the other side of the mountain range, and how she wants to lead a life of adventure. I choose not to invite her as she is a tavern keeper, not a warrior. Besides, who will serve drinks when she's gone?

So I ask the spearman and he is more than willing to join. I casually ask him about his family and he has quite a tale to tell. He told me he had a mother, who, 15 years earlier, became the queen of the elven civ my nation had conquered. Note that he HAD a mother. He no longer does, apparently. So my companion lost both his mother and his throne because of my nation.

So I inquire more about his family. His maternal grandmother was an acolyte, but that's the only other noble in his family. Then he tells me about his wife. Nothing special about her but her name rings a bell. I check the log. It's the tavern keeper. So I recruit her too.

So I and the royal couple are about to cross the mountains to hunt for rocs.

EDIT: The spearman's grandfather (the one that married the acolyte) was killed by a roc in the same mountain range I'm trying to cross. It was a different roc though.
Also the elves are now using human currency. On one of those coins is a depiction of one of the battles. The elves are prostrating themselves before the commander of the humans. The commander, however, is also an elf. So my dethroned prince is forced to carry coins depicting his kind prostrating themselves before a traitor if he wants to eat. Well, at least he won't be needing coins where we're going.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:20:21 pm by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »

In another no attribute run, I entered a mead hall and found everybody killing each other. There was about twenty corpses on the ground, and many people were running in all directions. I charged in and grabbed an ax off the corpse of a random dead soldier and started hacking away at everyone who was labeled as NO QUARTER. In the end, I had over 23 notable kills and had raised my physical attributes from average to high agility and strength before I was overwhelmed by a large group of these attackers and killed.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the legends and found out that the builder of this mead hall was a dwarf named Mestthos, who not only was raised by goblins, but was also a necromancer before he died in the disastrous loyalty cascade that killed so many. That does explain the large amount of goblins I found there.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: April 15, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »

Added in Mononoke-like wooden masks for woodcrafting to mess around with; needed to regen. Rolled Bim Fieldpebble anew.

Between the choice of starting in a mountain hall, fortress, or hillock, fortresses have the highest settlement politics/power struggles, and Bim wanted to avoid the retirement issues that come with inheriting a noble title, so chose mountain hall Boltoak.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bim began drowning while swimming from lvl 3's competent swimmer (pretty much the earliest to safely perform) until he reached legendary.
I had given him above avg recuperation, hoping to see if there'd be that rollover to high. Had read a post where Fantasticdorf had mentioned training recup. Swimming, tracking, and ambusher are awful auto-gain skills. Probably the 3 most uninteresting skills in the game as they have zero interactivity. But, eh, why not.

Bim sought out a few cave crocs to Dragon Ball/Kisat Dur as they meet some good early game requirements for best training dummy. Being aquatic, they're slower than your character and only have a single attack using teeth. The combat pattern was: grab teeth to interrupt its attack, then punch/kick lower body to induce the nausea penalty to make it easier to get the KO shot to the head. Never strike upper body, to avoid causing death due to suffocation. Once unconscious, punch teeth, reducing the cave croc to push and grab attacks (I never grind wrestler on an unconscious opponent, as the constant grabbing and grip breaking done through a run quickly develops wrestler from dabbling on upwards. Biting also tends to fast track wrestling. Wrestler is an overpowered skill that really doesn't need the extra help). Wait for cave croc to revive, then begin striking limbs/lower body to work those dabbling skills to novice. Once that was done, Bim would sleep 1 hour to offload the crocs, given that they're not historical figures. Aside from the scattered teeth and blood trails, it's as if they never existed. Inherently monstrous.

Edit: Couple of things I forgot to mention. Punching and kicking limited to lower body (at first) will minimize escalation as the encounter remains a brawl until nausea is induced (which debuffs by 50%). Once nausea is achieved, punches and kicks to the head may eventually cause the encounter to escalate, but at this point, it's not important. Biting will bring a fight to lethal levels and is best saved for once the NPC threat is neutralized (teeth removal). A benefit of training encounters on larger critters (as opposed to say a wolf) is blunt force attacks like punches and kicks won't eventually pulp the critter to death, when trying to bring dabbling skills up to the useful novice level; or in the case of bites, lower body bites will only bruise due to critter thickness, producing no lasting significant damage.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:45:39 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: April 17, 2017, 01:40:44 am »

It's been a little while, so I'm thinking I might do something, but dunno what. Any suggestions?

Nah, got an idea. A little fort-mode prep, and...

The dwarves of The Lash of Artiface embarked close to human lands, near two small villages in the heart of their civilization. They were curious as to why such a spot was chosen, but believed it would bring valuable trade to them.

The dwarves knew of an expedition, of a claim on a mountain near the human lands. No one knows the expedition's true motives, nor why they stopped short of their mining claim. Only that they dug deep, and swiftly. Months before the first caravans could even prepare to visit this curious new outpost, a fire swept the land, and something arose from the ashes...

Started as an axedwarf in the captial of the civilization that sent the doomed party, mosstly alone in barren mountain halls. Decided to set out in search of the surface, the tunnels at least are rather handy for this. No doubt no one's heard of this otherwise minor expidition and what awaits the world. Recruited a passing macedwarf, alas she's proven to be worthless so far. Cave crocodile we encountered along the way, she runs off in a panic while I KO it in two hits, and soon enough make armor from it.

Along the way we encounter a gremlin. Odd troublesome things, but it's friendly or at least neutral. And can talk.  We decide to sing a song in the middle of the tunnel, two dwarves and a gremlin. I wanted to see if we could get him to join us, but sadly no.

Next thing we encounter, rather close to the edge of the mountains and thus the fortress that should lead topside, is a giant cave toad in the way.

Gotta do everything myself, as usual. But soon enough, we arrive at last...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:59:37 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: April 17, 2017, 07:08:14 pm »

Eh, doublepost because fuck it. :V

Made it up top and found a bustling market, along with the odd goblin here and there. Rarely ever saw a soul out in the tunnels, let alone any non-dwarves besides mere animals. Went to the first important-looking fellow I could find and asked about the local area, much as I could get the drunkard to tell me.

Not much to be said. More of the usual bandits and monsters topside. No news on any wars or new fortunes to find. I'd heard a couple months ago about some expidition, but must've fizzled out given I haven't heard any word of them or even what their outpost was called, only the name of the expidition leader. The tavern topside isn't much help either, much as I could go for a drink by now. But then I spy more of those goblins at the market nearby, and ask around about the outside world. Surely travelers must know of something interesting...

That's a new one. Never heard of such a place, nor have I heard of a flame fiend. Something about that gives me a bad feeling. Alas, they don't have much more to tell me on the matter, like where this place is. Kadol however proves useful for once, she knows where the place is. The name of the group she mentions sound almost familiar...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: April 17, 2017, 11:33:15 pm »

I've been swapping save files for a sequential multiplayer adventure game.

My peasant adventurer has grown up so much in the last two months.
I went to visit my friend's cottage near a goblin site, and had to clear out some ruffians.  After curbstomping a patrolling party with my iron boots to the head, word of my presence must have spread.  Beak dogs and bowgoblins alike were fleeing in panic with the blue !s on sight.

Unfortunately for them, running only meant they died tired.

Later, due to a design flaw, I was woken up from the bed in the cottage by bogeys.  Despite some permanent facial wounds, I was able to jump off the second floor and reenter to the basement and safety.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:50 pm »

Welp, cave adaptation has fucked over my plans to get over to the outpost, as has the old "designate zone for making a camp claimable" crash.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: April 18, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »

While I've had a few characters do no hit runs centering their defense around shield, Bim Fieldpebble will hopefully be the first to do so without one. I did give him novice shield as it seemed narratively/RP-sound due to a dwarf's natural turtling-barricader's mentality. With the exclusion of crutch-walker, it's 17 attempts to go from zero skill to novice for any skill. Pretty much the reason why I'd start most peasants with novice fighter/dodger/observer/shield, yet skip weapon and empty-handed skills. Unless you buffed to focused!, working dodger/observer/shield from zero would likely entail unwanted contact, given the rolls for stat comps at parity.

So without killing anything due to the combination of avoiding upper body shots and 1 hour offloads, Bim completed an abbreviated early game (leaving off at lvl 4's lift-off point rather than lvl 6's parity versus megas). He rode there on the advantages of having leveled to superdwarven endurance via swimming while drowning, along with being able to intercept the no-skill NPC's sole attack type.
By the time Bim began tiring during combats, NPCs were already suffering from nausea, stunning and had collapsed due to exhaustion. A more min-max powergamer set-up would have started with not just above avg endurance, but with above avg willpower and intuition as well. The slight difference in willpower tiers mitigating exertion at this stage is negligible, as a multiple level stat gulf and status effect debuffs will skew toward only favorable rolls.

After hitting legendary fighter and getting to novice thrower, Bim ascends to Spiregem's tavern level. Here he drinks his first drink (3 units of dwarven beer) and naps in a chair. Upon waking, he drinks 3 units of dwarven wine and takes in a bit of story telling, all the while making a varied collection of items (mostly wooden spoons) from fungiwood branches to reach the 17 attempts needed to reach novice woodcrafter. Bim also reads his first book.
He hangs out here for a bit before venturing outside to ride out the inevitable cave adaptation sickness. Seems like the thing to do before working in a bit of crutch-walking.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:46 am »

Greetings.
My adventure takes place using the Reichgrad mod.
Well, what's left of it.
I generated a pocket world, for 250 years. Then I released my character in it, I amassed equipment, a karabiner rifle, quivers, ammo for the rifle, clothing(i started as outsider).

Eventually I got fairly badass. For a short time i was actually the princess of one of the elven civs. (but then they replaced me with an actual elf ;-;)

I decided to go visit the soviet civ in the northwest of the island, for no particular reason, with my trusty elven companion, when suddenly:

A HORDE OF ZOMBIES APPROACHES.
Why? For what reason you ask?
No clue.
They can also fire crossbows.
I'm going to dash into that house on the left, and also try to run away.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:36 pm »

Welp, new world, abandoned the prior idea of unleashing demons in favor of being bold. I spawn with a fucking rock xylophone that uses a rock mallet to hit. My only available song not only uses this, but also generic drums I can craft.

And now, to see if these useless wandering bolds can be recruited if I perform for them...and nope. Fuck. :V

EDIT: FFFFFF-

Well, guess who's almost regreting adding giant desert scorpions back to Adventurecraft? :V
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:34:52 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1104