Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102428 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13950 on: April 03, 2017, 06:12:51 am »

What about night creatures?

Oh yeah, those awesome guys. So, suffocation/stunning works on plenty of critters, but not night trolls. Pretty sure they don't get stunned, and they certainly don't breathe. I think it's fitting, but then I really like night trolls.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:05 am »

So what on earth can I do against one with a shield, a dagger and some wrestling skill? I thought about trying to burn it to death, but the grass was wet. Reckon a full speed stealth attack to the throat or a dragonfall would work better?
One wheel short of a wagon

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: April 03, 2017, 06:27:25 am »

So what on earth can I do against one with a shield, a dagger and some wrestling skill? I thought about trying to burn it to death, but the grass was wet. Reckon a full speed stealth attack to the throat or a dragonfall would work better?

A dagger is a great weapon. I'd do this:

-First stab foot/leg so it falls to the ground and can't charge.
-Then look to either bleed it out via death by a thousand stabs/headshot, if you like the dagger. Or more Kitsat Dur-ishly you could just keep punching/kicking the body/head to cause death via pulping, collapsing the body/head.

Remember that the night troll has level 6 stats, so you kinda want at least a level 5 shield/dodger, unless you're going to use the semi-exploity quick attack + dodge away multi-attack combo.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13953 on: April 03, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »

I just realized my current adventurer is like some weird cheesy slasher movie premise.

I'm a botani swordsman who made his way to a nearby goblin civ and found a buzz-sword in one of their hamlets, and just uses it to kill fleshies ala Leatherface. Chop down trees? He chops you down.

Admittedly I'm trying to be peaceful with the local goblins and only killing bandits or monsters invading their biggest town.

Also the town temple has some interesting engravings.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: April 03, 2017, 07:13:11 pm »

It's cause kisat dur is designed for dwarves not elves
Kisat Dur was race agnostic from the start, and works great with elves and humans and goblins, though sadly kobolds are a little too light to use many of the techniques.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13955 on: April 04, 2017, 03:38:14 am »

So, I just had a pretty suspenseful adventure in the dungeon beneath the goblin town from my previous post.

I was tasked with killing a bandit commander who had become a gluttony incarnation - hiding in the dungeon beneath the keep. I went there with my companions, a speargoblin and a macegoblin.

The search took quite a long time - in that time we must have killed around 20 or so goblin bandits. Eventually though, we found a lead.

A trail of vomit and some corpse chunks - we followed it south.

More corpses, but no sign of the commander himself. Following the trail east, we eventually found a path leading into the sewer - went back, as that was obviously too far. Going back through the stairwell, though.

Ambushed! The commander had a blessing of strength too.

While the spearman companion ran off, the maceman stayed to fight - and was torn to shreds. I raised him as a half-plant shambler to provide a bit of a temporary distraction - keyword temporary, as the commander destroyed him soon after.

Nonetheless it provided to be enough, and I eventually killed the commander with repeated blows to the head. Only issue now is to find my way back.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like, no pressure or anything. The guy just murdered my family.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: April 05, 2017, 12:17:35 am »

Hadn't made a throwing-based adventurer in a long time, not since 34.xx, so gave it a wack. Felt like Gambit, tossing coins through lungs, managed to kill a cyclopse going through a lot of coppers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: April 05, 2017, 12:22:54 pm »

"The grumbling man"

It's probably just some old guy who wants people to stop coming into his house to ask for quests.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: April 05, 2017, 12:57:03 pm »

"The grumbling man"

It's probably just some old guy who wants people to stop coming into his house to ask for quests.

Make it a married couple, there were a bunch of them. They killed me. Probably gonna come at them again and take them out one at a time.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #13960 on: April 05, 2017, 02:17:24 pm »

"The grumbling man"

Make it a married couple, there were a bunch of them. They killed me. Probably gonna come at them again and take them out one at a time.

I love this game

Edit : I think I triggered party ending nation ending !!fun!!.
I was given the order to start trouble in a neighbouring elf retreat that was giving us shit for using plants to cloth ourselves. No problems, starting troubles my character like and it's not like the elves doesnt objectively deserve a good beating.
So, took three of my best companions, went to elftown, got on the commanding tree, spat on the face of their lord, and grabbed him by the shirt.

Next thing you know he falls to his knees begging for mercy, his guards instantly escalate to lethal. Then remember I'm a godamn local legend and immediately yield as my companions beat the crap out of another guard on the ground.

At this point no one died. So I thought okay, that's some troubles right? Quest not completed. Night falls, so I decide to go back home to assess the situation. 

On the way back, the elves send jaguars and grizzly bears after me. One of my companion is wounded, the pets are turned into food in short order. At this point no one important has died.

Night sleep, quest still not concluded, I decide to go back to elftown and continue to stir shit as it is the quest given me by my militia captain. More jaguars, an army of bears, no probs, we roll over them. Then the elf lord (the one who pissed himself not a day ago) decided to grow a pair of wooden spiked balls and jumped on my companion, a veteran hammerlord dwarven bandit.

So he got his head encrusted into an ancestral tree so far there's only his royal butt sticking out at this point. Ambushes continue, I have slaughtered to extinction a different flavors of rare species. War will probably be declared soon, I am considered with suspiscion by my own militia comrades now and the quest is still not completed

fml
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:53:06 pm by Cathar »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: April 09, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »

Started up a new hidden history large 1050 year island world. Changed the food reactions to only boost endurance before genning, since toughness as a temp buff makes fairly little sense. Playing this run without ever using fast travel mode. That should make travel planning a bit more interesting as you really have to travel light, maintaining a close to 1.000 walking speed.

I roll peasant dorf Bim Fieldpebble, a worshipper of Egom (nature), the goddess of the seasons. I don't choose a description with a sizing/build indicator, but luck out with a 1.3/2.808 starting sprint.
Sizing/build indicators are eventually paired with a descriptive strength modifier once a character/NPC reaches the high strength tier. A description without sizing/build won't receive any pairing. What's interesting about this is profiling a lvl 1 bandit when you're fielding a lvl 1 peasant (of dorf/elf/gobbo avg size) in arguably the most interesting, high signal-to-noise match up in the game. It's clean and simple, like fire + meat + salt = good.

Anyways, using raeborga's inverted color scheme from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163580.msg7410393#msg7410393 where the exteriors have this otherworldly Outlaw Star ED quality.
Underground, everything appears brightly lit.

Edit: So carefully worked progression here against the express emotions menu to be rather ranger rangery. 
Weather isn't a thing of control. Satisfaction at work or tracking will generally be first to come up, followed by whatever you get your character to do. Had Bim craft 20 wooden arrows. After firing 17, he hit novice bowdwarf/novice archer. Kept making fletchings and wooden arrows which got him novice wood crafter followed by novice bowyer.

Since he's in perpetual slow travel, he'll hit mastering tracking irrespective of whether that makes any sense or not. Next he'll either tag satisfaction for improving swimming, wrestler, or maybe fighting. 

Kept any grouchiness over food out by alternating the uncooked food. Didn't want to have food enjoyment mentioned as part of the start, since he really just eats to live and not the other way around. Bim's a dorf, not a hobbit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:31:12 pm by peasant cretin »

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: April 10, 2017, 10:30:50 pm »

no attributes adventures are...very intresting
I'm killing random things just to get my ax rank up as well as physical attributes so i have a chance of survival.
EDIT:my ax skill is around Adept, and my physical attributes in most of the areas (as well as stuff like spatial sense and willpower) are in "above average", but i dont have swimming or dodging
EDIT2:My character died predictably with unluckiness, but it was a good run, I'll do more attributeless runs in this world, giving how fun it is to not have much and start working with stuff.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:45:07 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: April 11, 2017, 09:14:31 am »

no attributes adventures are...very intresting
I'm killing random things just to get my ax rank up as well as physical attributes so i have a chance of survival.
EDIT:my ax skill is around Adept, and my physical attributes in most of the areas (as well as stuff like spatial sense and willpower) are in "above average", but i dont have swimming or dodging
EDIT2:My character died predictably with unluckiness, but it was a good run, I'll do more attributeless runs in this world, giving how fun it is to not have much and start working with stuff.

I need to do a no attribute run at some point. Presumably you are not allowed to make yourself a full custom set of steel armor and an adamantine ax in advance?

Just a guess.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »

There is a horse named Slamnoc Vumudvushil (Putrescent CreosoteAnchor) and 4 water buffalo following my adventurer Zestir. The horse has a human name but they started following her after she defended a dwarven hillock from a goblin raid. They, the horse and buffalo, turned "lethal" on sight. She's never done a thing to them. They... it's night time and they have a linen tent and a campfire.

Well, I least she get's to sleep in tent tonight.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1104