Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104009 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13470 on: January 03, 2017, 04:09:20 pm »

I don't think it's the shield, but the powerful attacks. Slow attacks might leave you unable to block.

The blockable part of dragonbreath doesn't work via heat.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:11:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: January 03, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

I don't think it's the shield, but the powerful attacks. Slow attacks might leave you unable to block.

No, it was the shield. I went back and I found a lot of my old items, but no shield; molten metal was on the floor.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: January 03, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »

What other metal items did you have?

DF_Silvestre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: January 03, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »

Started playing DF for the first time in over a year.
Started as a polar bear man with insan wrestling skill and sick moves (dancer) (I wanted to be a traveling dancer who occasionally gets into bar brawls).
I started in a dwarf fortress and immediately started panicking after forgetting how to get out with no minimap+map+objective marker+NPC guide to lead my noobish ass out of that hole. Finally got out and remembered most of my buttons (some of them seem new - haven't examined the changelogs in detail yet) and I went to a mead hall - as per my usual way - and asked questions, talked about the weather, basically fiddling around with the conversation system (back in my day, conversation consisted of "That's terrible!" and..."It was inevitable", but now everyone seems so chatty and real!)
Then I discovered I could dance! So I was busting a move in front of the lizard man on his throne and asked him to spread the word - I'M GONNA TEACH YOUR PEOPLE HOW TO DANCE! - when a hunter came in. I asked him to join my troupe and he said yes (apparently he knew how to dance). Lather, rinse, repeat for 3 in-game days.
I'm travelling with a performing troupe 3 lizard men and 1 grizzly bear woman strong, when I come across an I on the map. Noob that I am, I check the place out. I jump off a tree and suddenly my buddies are being gangbanged by zombies and hands (eek!) No way I was dancing outta that, so I climb the tower wall while my troupe was torn apart. Somehow, I get inside and find the slab that contains the secret to life and death.
See Michael Jackson's Thriller music video for the rest of the story.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: January 03, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

What other metal items did you have?

A sword, a breastplate, boots and a helm. All bronze or iron, I guess that's why they were still intact.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »

Started as a polar bear man with insan wrestling skill and sick moves (dancer) (I wanted to be a traveling dancer who occasionally gets into bar brawls).
I started in a dwarf fortress and immediately started panicking after forgetting how to get out with no minimap+map+objective marker+NPC guide to lead my noobish ass out of that hole. Finally got out and remembered most of my buttons (some of them seem new - haven't examined the changelogs in detail yet) and I went to a mead hall - as per my usual way - and asked questions, talked about the weather, basically fiddling around with the conversation system (back in my day, conversation consisted of "That's terrible!" and..."It was inevitable", but now everyone seems so chatty and real!)
Then I discovered I could dance! So I was busting a move in front of the lizard man on his throne and asked him to spread the word - I'M GONNA TEACH YOUR PEOPLE HOW TO DANCE! - when a hunter came in. I asked him to join my troupe and he said yes (apparently he knew how to dance). Lather, rinse, repeat for 3 in-game days.
I'm travelling with a performing troupe 3 lizard men and 1 grizzly bear woman strong, when I come across an I on the map. Noob that I am, I check the place out. I jump off a tree and suddenly my buddies are being gangbanged by zombies and hands (eek!) No way I was dancing outta that, so I climb the tower wall while my troupe was torn apart. Somehow, I get inside and find the slab that contains the secret to life and death.
lies I know very well zombies don't dance with you, bogeymen on the other hand.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DF_Silvestre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: January 03, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »

lies I know very well zombies don't dance with you, bogeymen on the other hand.
I like to think that in their undead minds, they were trying to dance with me.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:13 pm »

I made an adventurer, left home and immediately found a lair. Went inside, saw the dragon only when he was right next to me, tried to fight, but died in a few turns (no shield).

I immediately created another adventurer and left to fight the dragon again. This time I managed to fight for a long time, blocking all his dragonfire with my shield.

As I start to deal serious damage, and try to go for a few powerful attacks...

You have melted!

Apparently a copper shield is a BAD idea against dragonfire...

No, it was the shield. I went back and I found a lot of my old items, but no shield; molten metal was on the floor.

With dragons, you don't want any metal on your person with the possible exception of your weapon. You could skip metal altogether and use a sharp rock if you have good misc_obj user or just punch/kick it to death.

You also don't want to have any metal objects on the tile you're standing on as the dragonfire/heat in the room could cause those objects to engulf you in boiling metal.

In regards to the availability of blocking with your shield, the determining factor is letting the auto-defense respond to dragon breath or dragonfire. If you manually perform an action with your shield, this would remove it from the auto-defense for that next turn.

Roughly the same mechanic used versus ranged attacks like bolts/arrows shot at you. Only the auto-block from auto-defense can respond.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: January 03, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »

Yeah, shields don't get damaged by heat from dragonfire unless you were using it directly or standing on something that was on fire perhaps.

So I met a guy, I was being all peaceful with an army that was following me around and just tossing them away from the fortress entrance without attacking them, noticed some !'s inside and ran in expecting to find people needing assistance.

Instead I find a talk hunk of beard strangling an elf, stomping another, and a broken goblin trying to crawl away.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I tossed in the right references so we're dating, gave him some armor, a mug with buff items so he bullet times around like I do, and set out to see the world, meet new people, and watch As murder them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I especially like how he beats people to death with clothing pulled off their friends, then casually puts it on when he's done.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: January 04, 2017, 07:03:40 am »

Maybe I was standing on top of the items left behind by the previous adventurer? That could be what burned/ melted and killed me...

It makes sense, when I went back to check I didn't find TWO swords.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:52 am »

Yeah, if you're standing on metal when a dragon flames up, it sends boiling metal all around you. It was the major issue I had when facing off with one. I savescummed hard on that fight because I kept melting.

In my Adventurecraft run I am Thaguk Notchhopped the Gloves of Balance. Given that I've been slaying beasts and bat person killers, it makes sense and totally sounds better than Ithev Girderscribe the Poetic Pleat. Right now I'm working on organizing my inventory and getting things into proper chests and spots in my finished fort. The whole third floor is mine, although if I were to nestle all my crafting gear inside the carpenter's station, I could probably rework it with walls and a door and give over the rest of the floor to sparring. I've already built the carpentry shop and a chest for unused crafting ingredients. Mainly leather and gut thread I've been storing up since I butchered their previous owners.

I might build a second chest and stash it in the tavern storeroom for the goblets I've been making of enemies' skulls. I already have a bush titan's skull for a helmet.

ETA: How does contact poison work? Do I throw the poison or the waterskin I have it in? I just made a great horned owl leather waterskin and filled it with black mamba poison.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:32:48 am by Urist McVoyager »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: January 04, 2017, 11:45:18 am »

ETA: How does contact poison work? Do I throw the poison or the waterskin I have it in? I just made a great horned owl leather waterskin and filled it with black mamba poison.

Throw the poison itself. I'm surprised this doesn't make the player contact it, but then again you can also throw stuff even with your arms cut off. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: January 04, 2017, 11:51:59 am »

Throw the poison itself. I'm surprised this doesn't make the player contact it, but then again you can also throw stuff even with your arms cut off. o3o
I always assume that armless adventurers grab it in their mouth, and then spit it at their enemy.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: January 04, 2017, 11:52:37 am »

Sweet. Still organizing. I have a carpenter's shop where I dropped all my crafting gear. A chest for supplies. A bin for finished goods I'm not carrying, a bookshelf, a cabinet, and a table/chair combo. I also have a chest in the tavern for my goblet collection. Only question now is how do I put books on a shelf?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: January 04, 2017, 02:33:52 pm »

Gotta build a bookcase after filling it up, can't add them afterwards apparently.

I always assume that armless adventurers grab it in their mouth, and then spit it at their enemy.
I tried to be clever and used dfhack to stick a stack of arrows into my knee so I could throw them at people, but you'd have to remove them before you could toss them that way.

If you had them in your mouth though you could be all MENTLEGEN and spit them one at a time, or get a mouthful of... other things.
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1104