Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103986 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13455 on: January 01, 2017, 09:01:06 pm »

This still fucks up my ability to select the first item on a list.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13456 on: January 01, 2017, 09:04:22 pm »

DFFD or portable harddrive to keep the game itself alive when you get a new computer.

Beyond that there isn't anything new to say about that.

My fortress is still progressing strongly. That's what twelve to fourteen pairs of hands working on it does.

ETA: The non-furniture portion is complete!

http://imgur.com/a/WTOfr
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:24:41 pm by Urist McVoyager »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13457 on: January 02, 2017, 12:16:00 am »

DFFD or portable harddrive to keep the game itself alive when you get a new computer.

Beyond that there isn't anything new to say about that.

My fortress is still progressing strongly. That's what twelve to fourteen pairs of hands working on it does.

ETA: The non-furniture portion is complete!

http://imgur.com/a/WTOfr

Nice! :D Love the fortified perimeter. I was much lazier a few runs back and went with just the keep (or rather a "fortified house" of 4 zlvls).

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13458 on: January 02, 2017, 12:27:43 am »

I always fortify. It minimizes where the enemies can come from. I'm sure I'm not done with it. I should expand the entrance to build a guardhouse. Plus there's a small back entrance that will probably be closed off once I get some barrels filled with water stashed away. I only put it there in the first place to ease the burden of getting water inside. With barrels the trips don't have to be as frequent.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13459 on: January 02, 2017, 01:15:50 am »

...I'm questioning why I didn't bother to give eternal things teeth. I would've been a natural fit for them!
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13460 on: January 02, 2017, 03:29:50 am »

Plus there's a small back entrance that will probably be closed off once I get some barrels filled with water stashed away. I only put it there in the first place to ease the burden of getting water inside. With barrels the trips don't have to be as frequent.
I do that too. Ease of entry while building then walled off later.

/////////////////////////////////

This run, Num Muddyboots mainly statted up attributes and skills through hack and slash combat. Even though I had left his combat preferences at default settings, he was still developing a 1-2 level stat gulf between shielder user and dodger, as recovery combat requires that you opt to manually shield block attacks to trigger opponent recovery.

Now the best way to even up the gulf—or better yet, push the gulf in favor of dodger (key were I to ever turn this character over to AI in fort mode) is shooting bandits at point blank range (equipped with ranged weapon and shield) and auto-defending.

At dabbling marksdwarf, the firing delay produces around 16 unanswered attacks and up at legendary marksdwarf, 8 and under unanswered attacks. To remain un-hit and uninjured during this 16-to-8 action interval requires a good stat gulf between your character and the bandit. If bandits are say between level 1 and 3 (novice-to-competent), your character needs to be at Adept-Expert (level 7-8) in shield user and dodger to afford a good margin of error. The before:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If your character is large for their species, any charge attacks by the enemy NPC cannot knock you down. If your character is average for their species, you'd likely want to ground them with a foot/leg shot before shooting and auto-defending. If used versus a night troll which has level 6 stats across, it's better to have level 8+:

Besides dodger, the other skill that most benefit from 8-16 actions of movement per turn is Armor User, so gains in strength are common as well.
In this last shot, shield user is only level 9, while dodger is level 15.

A funny little non-macro'd grind.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13461 on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:14 am »

Bah! Just have to account for them. As long as you have at least one friend at your side, they won't form.

It's only been a few days, week tops, since I founded my site. I'm already on the third level fighting platform and working through it. Most of the site still has trees on it, including most of the inside of the walls, so I should have no issues finishing those with the on-site wood. The keep is another question but I'll answer it after the walls are completely done.
actually if you play spider and or/ instantly build a roof(should take 2 hours to one if you just build a floor in a tree)you can possibly build under the roof and not trigger bogeymen as your technically inside.
that said you are building out in the open and any of the other ambushes can trigger and your not in any shape to fight them, then again ambushes can happen even if your in a room so your better off getting companions to guard the place.
edit: dfhack could turn off the cackling in adv ui section in gm-editor which instant kills all the bogeymen in the area so you don't need to mess with any kill all script.
or... you could just mass recruit and bind all the bogeymen to your control and make them work on your fort then set them up in a pill box and give them ammo and a crossbow.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:44:59 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13462 on: January 02, 2017, 11:50:31 am »

My problem wasn't building. If you have a big enough crew building for you, you don't build. Your role is chopping down trees until there's enough logs to get the job done. Unless you're very particular about timing, you'll probably wind up doing it at night too.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13463 on: January 02, 2017, 11:56:00 am »

Spider men are kinda smol though. :V

EDIT: Meanwhile in Dwarf Fortress, my hunt for evil clouds continues fruitlessly. All these evil regions and NONE have had any so far! I even bumped the evil cloud number to max when genning the world.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:04:04 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13464 on: January 02, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »

Spider men are kinda smol though. :V

EDIT: Meanwhile in Dwarf Fortress, my hunt for evil clouds continues fruitlessly. All these evil regions and NONE have had any so far! I even bumped the evil cloud number to max when genning the world.
Did you turn the other evil effects to zero?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13465 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »

Evil clouds don't show up very often compared to blood rain it seems.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13466 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:42 pm »

This time I genned a 100% evil world with no rain and maxed clouds, not much luck so far. LOTS of evil cloud materials listed in the world file when uncompressed though.

Did have to SWIM across the ocean because I spawned on a small island.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13467 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:50 am »

My civ was dead. Then I made 3 forts. Went to adv mode, and dwarves are unavailable. When will my civ be alive enough to have adventurers?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13468 on: January 03, 2017, 12:29:15 pm »

I made an adventurer, left home and immediately found a lair. Went inside, saw the dragon only when he was right next to me, tried to fight, but died in a few turns (no shield).

I immediately created another adventurer and left to fight the dragon again. This time I managed to fight for a long time, blocking all his dragonfire with my shield.

As I start to deal serious damage, and try to go for a few powerful attacks...

You have melted!

Apparently a copper shield is a BAD idea against dragonfire...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13469 on: January 03, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »

Metal items now conduct heat properly.

Surprise!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1104