Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104450 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13215 on: November 21, 2016, 10:08:17 pm »

So, I rolled up a new adventurer, an axegoblin hero with superior endurance. Found a bunch of hippos and elephants chilling by a river, so I sneaked behind on, waited till a good strike opportunity appeared, and hacked at a muscular's elephant head with my iron great axe... And it just bruised the skin.

I tried again and again on different body parts, foccussing on the legs to try and bring it down so I wouldn't have to chase it for long. Doing damage was hard, but eventually a hit pulled a tendom and it fell. I started attacking more fiercly, and suddenly the elephant becomes enraged, grabs me by the nose with his trunk (I kidd you not), I fail to break the grip and next thing I know I'm floundering on the river with an injured hand, unable to hold my axe and shield at the same time.

So, round two. Holding my shield (because I'd rather avoid a tusk through the head, thank you very much) I went full captain america on that pachyderm. And by that I mean just bashed it with my shield for what must have been ingame hours. At most I bruised the skin. So I started wrestling it. Kept adjusting my grip till I got a feel of how it moved. Then, finally, it passed out from over-exertion! I switched back to the axe and went ax-crazy on its head. Nothing happened, barely scratched it. Seeing as how my axe didn't cut it, I went for the more sensible option.

I strangled it. I guess putting no points on strenght really limits the damage you can do. Oh well, the elephant's dead, all the others ran away, I just butchered it, crafted some figurines to trade for armour at the next town and continued on my merry way.

Wierd thing was, my hand was in perfect condition after my walk. Guess someone with no levels in any medical skill can't really tell if their own hand is mangled or not, right? Lets roll with that.

After a night on a village I approach the nearby town, only to feel uneasy. I looked around stealthly, and spotted a flashing D, which dissapeared behind a tree.

Yeah, almost crapped myself. A dragon? With legendary skills? I crawled on the floor and aproached. It was a white D, still flashing. So, cave dragon. A cave dragon recruit with a rather long name. I got up and started throwing the bone figurines I made, to draw it's attention. It worked. So began another long fight in which my axe couldn't do more than tear his scales. That was enough to cause some heavy bleeding, but it stopped after a while. Maybe what a puny goblin would consider heavy bleeding a dragon would think of as a scratch.

The dragon passed out after a while of me blocking and wacking it over the head with my dull axe. So I just strangled it. Like, the mighty cave dragon, who got to this forest on the surface somehow, was finished by a goblin's right upper arm.

Made for a cool story on the inn, and now I'm a legendary hunter and hero, and I get free drinks and the right to crash at their rooms for as long as I want.

All in all, a normal hour long game sesion of DF adventurer mode.
Also, I saw a trunk lying on the street. A trunk which used to belong to a named creature. I think I'm gonna have fun hunting beasts around this town.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: November 22, 2016, 05:31:23 pm »

So yeah, the mannerism thing is just random and part of character creation. Personality facets are odd too. They govern AI reaction without consistency as we'd expect from what's essentially placeholder stuff. It's kinda like any modding. Eventually you come up against what's hardcoded. The experience is that dialogue between interacting with the media/content as it's presented and your own POV projections.

So I guess I'll need to keep Adventure Mode separate from Fort Mode. In one I like going with what it gives me and in the other I want to have pretty much complete control of the outcomes.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: November 22, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

found the whole thing about adv personalities fun in a" fort mode dwarves have feelings and behaviors you totally can't control or guess "way.

like instead of ordering site around you're ordering one person around(at a time), they might not like what their doing but their obliged to do it.

so in adventurer news I'm attempting a side project of taking a guest from a fort, make them an adventurer while they leave, retire the fort and attempt to build a new tavern with that guest adventurer and restart the process all over again. guests seem to Warp themselves to their homesite so
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: November 22, 2016, 08:23:49 pm »

I just wrote a chronicle about me killing goblins. Six chapters, each chapter dedicated to a different goblin death.

"Overall, this is a terrible compilation of information."
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:04 pm »

I've camped an adventurer with all very low attributes, no stats and wearing nothing on a bridge in a hamlet. He has been eating loads of plump helmets I spawned in and drinking river water. He has been stand here, not sleeping for at least half a month, and sadly it seems lack of sleep will not kill you directly, at least in a reasonable amount of time.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: November 23, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »

found the whole thing about adv personalities fun in a" fort mode dwarves have feelings and behaviors you totally can't control or guess "way.

like instead of ordering site around you're ordering one person around(at a time), they might not like what their doing but their obliged to do it.

so in adventurer news I'm attempting a side project of taking a guest from a fort, make them an adventurer while they leave, retire the fort and attempt to build a new tavern with that guest adventurer and restart the process all over again. guests seem to Warp themselves to their homesite so

I've had only one successful swap from Adv to Fort mode in terms of consistent character behavior. He had no mannerisms (tho I never checked him on creation), and his thoughts and preferences didn't change much from the time of his retirement to that fort, to several months later. I'd probably still be playing that world if I hadn't come to the idea that I could improve the whole process. Of course, that never really happened.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: November 24, 2016, 09:07:24 pm »

This may sound stupid, but I can't really understand what you guys are trying to do.  Why would their mannerisms change?

On a (potentially) related note: My adventurer's that I retire to my fortresses never seem to have preferences for food (or anything else).  I find that annoying.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: November 24, 2016, 11:10:20 pm »

I was trying/failing to understand which personality facets and values are still just framework/placeholder stuff, and which do determine how a character's AI acts once retired to fort mode. Mannerisms (like tells in poker), which seem random and appear to be assigned at character creation, aren't always consistent with facets/values. I was attempting to pick the right combos for a particular character stereo(arche)type. One supposition was/is that if you have a character kill enough sentients they might lose mannerisms. Not quite sure at any rate.

mikekchar, one question about your adventurers. Do they have the need to enjoy meals? All the characters I roll have <<< for intemperate, so they never have the meal need and never have any food/beverage prefs once in fort mode.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: November 25, 2016, 07:40:18 am »

That is a very good question...  And indeed, I just checked my most recent adventurer and she is currently unfocused after a lack of decent meals.  Which is potentially worrying, because if she doesn't like *anything*, she's never going to be satisfied.

Now that I understand what you are doing, it's very interesting.  Thanks for doing it!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: November 29, 2016, 11:39:17 am »

Well, I decided to find Toyland again, my abandoned Fortress, but this time I decided to be a Bear Man.  First, I found the coins and bags Joxer hide in a liberated lair. Then I followed the coast, more or less, to find Toyland.  And I found it!  After running into two wolf packs and a pack of giant dingoes and killing them all!  Course, I can't stand up anymore but I found the Fortress. I had to crawl to it.  Still, now I have a ton of meat and about six wolf skins.   :D

And it is full of Goblins and Dwarfs and Humans and Water Buffalo.   ???  None of which seem to live here and I am not sure why they are here.  Looting?  One did know it was Tongsburns but nobody could tell me anything about it.  I noticed in Legends there seems to be very little recorded history.  Maybe about ten sentences?

Anyway, part of the first floor is flooded but the rest seems to be okay.  If messy.  Most of the items seem to be on the surface and the beach.  The library no longer holds any books (I assume they are on the surface someplace).  The tavern is full of poets and is crowded....but has no booze or food that I can find.   I plan to visit the temples and then go deeper to see the burial chambers.  I am not sure where the were-girl is.  I don't think she is in the secondary hospital anymore. 

Still, it was nice to find the Fortress.  After all this time I feel like I know how to Adventure!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: December 04, 2016, 11:58:53 pm »

so just a test to see if I can pull this off I cram 120 units of alcohol and 1 dwarf into a mug.
in hopes to see if someone could die from liver failure before drinking the dwarf.

oh they just drop the mug aban lives. huh who knew.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:26:27 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: December 05, 2016, 01:42:30 am »

You put a live dwarf in a mug full of beer to be drunk by someone else. You put this guy in heaven, and then threatened them with the gates of hell, and its just an experiment.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vomitmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: December 05, 2016, 06:08:43 am »

Made a Y1050, small sized world with everything else set to high. Made a human outsider, because surprise surprise nearly every race is over run by Goblins. so far I've looted most of the old hamlets, fully kitted out in Finely-crafted and Superior Bronze armor, Best thing Ive found so far are four Masterworks, one copper shield, one bronze buckler, one set of 25 silver bolts, and a Bronze Pike.

Time to go stab the hell out of everything i guess. Going to head to the nearby Tower, just to see how good it works out, if not I'll use something else to kill the zombies with.

Edit1: Well stabbing zombies got boring so i left to actually skill up my pikemen skill, since they kept dodging. I'm also up to ten masterwork items. Thinking of swapping out the masterwork bronze pike for an Exceptional silver whip. But i think it might be too easy if i do. Kill a mountain titan Coati, stabbed it right in the brain in one shot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:17:05 am by Vomitmaster »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: December 05, 2016, 09:42:58 am »

You put a live dwarf in a mug full of beer to be drunk by someone else. You put this guy in heaven, and then threatened them with the gates of hell, and its just an experiment.
yeah seems like my experiment didn't properly put the dwarf in the container section of the cup but in the special prison hold or something.
next time I probably should fill using a minecart amount of liquids to see if someone could drink themselves to death. well losing is fun and all and I sure didn't take in consideration the human would finish the drink and avoid eating the dwarf.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:43 am »

Now I know how jewish kids feel on christmas, I hate 32 bit version more every day.
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1104