Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104693 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13065 on: September 17, 2016, 10:18:09 pm »

Begin a new conversation > begin a performance > tell a story > site > that town > filter for criminal > note the name of the structure they are listed as residing in > check under the keep and temples for that structure > ask criminals down there (I have nothing for you in greeting = criminal/bandit) about the structure/sewer/catacombs > kill anyone who mentions the name of the criminal group while in the right structure.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: September 17, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »

Zombies are easier to deal with, but they get pissed off when you hit them with falling lumber sometimes, buncha wussies.
everyone gets pissed off if they get hit by falling lumber.
it's like nature smack them in the face and they got mad at the world.
had docile group of peasants rescued from an invasion break out into a riot because they all huddle around the falling tree and a kid got clipped.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:58 am »

Begin a new conversation > begin a performance > tell a story > site > that town > filter for criminal > note the name of the structure they are listed as residing in > check under the keep and temples for that structure > ask criminals down there (I have nothing for you in greeting = criminal/bandit) about the structure/sewer/catacombs > kill anyone who mentions the name of the criminal group while in the right structure.

I think he was a vampire, maybe not related. My quest was complete once a couple goblins got stomped in the local taverns :)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:43 pm »

Yeah, the way people pile around the tree and then get mad at you is annoying. I didn't tell you all to hang out right there, just like I didn't say to stand in the branches of the tree I'm cutting down.

As for the quest, like the criminal organization quest was completed by random goblins getting beaten up?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »

wow RIP my adventurer. i really thought he was destined for greatness, but not good enough to beat a goblin hammer lord. i trained him up from a peasant knapping 400 rocks on day 1 and swimming all the rivers on day 2.

does the "lord" title mean they have a "legendary" weapon skill? my adventurer was only professional axeman, a middling armor and shield user (full iron coverage except bronze greaves), but at least master dodger and legendary fighter and many stats including strength and agility at superior or high. i found it hard to hit him (great axe) and once he got a couple hits in it kept getting worse.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:36 pm »

wow RIP my adventurer. i really thought he was destined for greatness, but not good enough to beat a goblin hammer lord. i trained him up from a peasant knapping 400 rocks on day 1 and swimming all the rivers on day 2.

does the "lord" title mean they have a "legendary" weapon skill? my adventurer was only professional axeman, a middling armor and shield user (full iron coverage except bronze greaves), but at least master dodger and legendary fighter and many stats including strength and agility at superior or high. i found it hard to hit him (great axe) and once he got a couple hits in it kept getting worse.

Hammerlord is a level 11 in weapon, dodge, fighter, shield (IIRC). The generic stat-centric view is the things that really matter are dependent on how you chose to fight. If you're choosing to spam the gross motor-skill multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) your stats were fine (especially your lvl 12 dodge) since that specific attack combo seems to bridge stat gulfs. If you chose more of a stand and trade (with preferably stand ground dodge/charge combat preferences) your level in shield and dodge need to be equal (level 11), providing you really limit auto-defense. Manual defense gets a boost to roll that auto doesn't get. If you choose to rely more on auto you'd want probably level 11+ defense and the buffs from focused/focused!, along with an avoidance on choosing any non-easy strike.

Aside from stat mumbojumbo, I just like to wait for the weaponmaster to attack, do a manual block to draw them into recovery which offers slight penalty, wrestle for a grab, go to throw to get the stun effect which debuffs their stats by half, then strike their foot or leg to keep them grounded. Now all my attacks have 2x momentum, weaponmaster can't charge, and the fight is pretty much over.

One little symmetrical supposition is if you get 2x momentum if standing versus a downed opponent, then it's likely their momentum going the opposite way is halved.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: September 19, 2016, 08:54:20 pm »

Hammerlord is a level 11 in weapon, dodge, fighter, shield (IIRC). The generic stat-centric view is the things that really matter are dependent on how you chose to fight. If you're choosing to spam the gross motor-skill multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) your stats were fine (especially your lvl 12 dodge) since that specific attack combo seems to bridge stat gulfs. If you chose more of a stand and trade (with preferably stand ground dodge/charge combat preferences) your level in shield and dodge need to be equal (level 11), providing you really limit auto-defense. Manual defense gets a boost to roll that auto doesn't get. If you choose to rely more on auto you'd want probably level 11+ defense and the buffs from focused/focused!, along with an avoidance on choosing any non-easy strike.

Aside from stat mumbojumbo, I just like to wait for the weaponmaster to attack, do a manual block to draw them into recovery which offers slight penalty, wrestle for a grab, go to throw to get the stun effect which debuffs their stats by half, then strike their foot or leg to keep them grounded. Now all my attacks have 2x momentum, weaponmaster can't charge, and the fight is pretty much over.

One little symmetrical supposition is if you get 2x momentum if standing versus a downed opponent, then it's likely their momentum going the opposite way is halved.

or do away from all this and sneak up from behind and get a confirmed chokehold on the throat. once you apply it the weaponlord should pass out and free to train up any attack skill or apply more chokes to kill.
or attacking the neck if it's unguarded with a heavy full strength attack will break the spine and suffocate the victim.
done with characters who dump most points into barding so they have lil to no combat skills or need to grind them.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »

Yeah, the sneak and strangle works too. But to me that's purely goal/result oriented.

I think you tend to learn more from something when you're more process oriented. It answers more of the how and why's. Here that contributes to developing a more airtight system for combat and having a granular approach to character building, which makes grinding/artifical skill training unnecessary IMO.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:03 pm »

Well, if you find a dark fort with a broken link between the upper spire and hell, dropping the spire by standing on a magma flow still works, and sometimes the sand down there can start growing things before the magma fills it in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I used that and a nearby volcano+magma pool to set up a site which I then wandered over to via the underworld to map it out. I can't punch through anywhere with a cave-in sadly, but I suppose I could go grab suitable people as companions and assign them zones in hell as a prison?
]

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: September 21, 2016, 02:50:32 pm »

Rolled a brand new adventurer after the death of the previous one (Rest in peace Kungfupanda Dragonball, the greatest panda man wrestler who ever lived) and had a very strange experience with a minotaur.

I get two companions together and we stumble across a labyrinth, which I decide to explore. Probably not a good idea on reflection, considering my new goblin has nothing but a copper spear and copper shield. I wait at an intersection in the maze to make sure everybody can hit the minotaur when it turns up, and eventually I see him charging down towards us. He's unarmed for some reason, not that it made much of a difference in the fight.

He instantly kills one of my companions by goring her in the head and then knocks the other one unconscious with a couple of punches. At this point I'm pretty certain my goblin peasant is a lost cause, since the minotaur grabs me by the lower leg and locks my joint.

Instead of breaking my leg though, the minotaur lets go and just starts running away. I'm not sure what to think at first, but I follow him for a while and he doesn't make any attempt to attack me. He's just fleeing blindly around the labyrinth.  ??? Keep in mind I haven't hit the guy even once, he's just randomly started sprinting away in terror after killing all my friends.

I stab him in the foot and he doesn't even try to defend himself, just continues trying to crawl away from my scary copper spear. I poke him some more and he eventually bleeds out after dragging himself around the floor for a bit.

So yeah, brand new goblin's first kill is a minotaur because it suddenly went nuts in the middle of a fight. Maybe I had a really sweaty leg and it grossed him out or something?

Noel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: September 23, 2016, 05:11:20 am »

Today I retired another adventurer due to injury.

Today I killed a horse.

::)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: September 23, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »

Anyone notice this greeting, seems like what you get when you move at 10.000

oh and this direforge dnd mod has some variations of bogeymen and ended up recruiting a madwoman... and her teeth after she got into a fist fight with a bogeyman.
and finally figure out how to box companions I guess assigning them a zone then telling them to wait there is all you need to get them in position. kinda gutted my ez companion interaction so I don't have a better way to instant recruit outside of resurrection.

ps my adventurer is the wagon.

might be able to play Bogémon  and see if I can capture most of these weird night beasts.

edit: okay warming up to maddy.

she the one in the north box, the person in the left box is a dwarf markswoman name Azam
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:36:27 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: September 23, 2016, 09:14:20 pm »

realized with kills track to items one could take a door and/or bed, then murder someone with it.
and make a shack that not one item wasn't used to take a life...
...that bed, a dragon...

So you... Bed the dragon?

(This is way too late to make a joke and doesn't sound as good as it sounded in my head.)

Edit: Or you... smashed the dragon using a bed.

(I should really stop.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:05:19 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: September 24, 2016, 12:45:50 am »

What if they banged the dragon with the bed, then... nah.

Also, those are indeed new greetings to me, wonder if it is because of the wagon man weirdness? Never seen it even when running around at 10.0 speed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: September 24, 2016, 11:11:01 am »

So you... Bed the dragon?

"I said slay the dragon, not lay the dragon!"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1104