Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104985 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12915 on: August 20, 2016, 11:26:48 am »

Ah, I see. One can trick the tavern into serving more drinks than it originally possessed, eh? That's clever. Dump a truckload of barrels there and suddenly they have an enormous selection to choose from. Well, if the civ has access to the plants.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: August 20, 2016, 11:46:43 am »

It happened randomly. Kamuk emptied out his pack and there was an empty persimmon barrel, along with two other barrels that had varying levels of booze. When Kamuk returned, I expected 3 empty barrels because of the data offload.

Sometimes stuff in backs or quivers just vanishes if you take them out of your pack and offload the site. Armok's tax on items.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:35 am »

Ah, I see. One can trick the tavern into serving more drinks than it originally possessed, eh? That's clever. Dump a truckload of barrels there and suddenly they have an enormous selection to choose from. Well, if the civ has access to the plants.

That could be awesome.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: August 20, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »

Don't know if anyone knew already, but there's a trick where you could contract just about any hostile intelligent creature as a companion, particularly semi-megabeasts like giants. Well... sorta. To start, you'd need to have an adventurer with hero status (ie killed at least one night troll or something better), and probably just a kick-ass adventurer overall. Furthermore, you might want to have a site with numerous logs available, if you're looking to build stuff.

Anyway, here's how it's done:
  • Find a target. This should be a non-leader historical figure that's at least semi-intelligent capable of speaking, and, preferrably, doesn't have extravision (ie has functional eyes).
  • Get outside their vision range and sneak up to them. Or, better yet, blind them.
  • Skip introductions and bring up incident of a significant kill you made (hopefully, one that won't anger them further!)
  • Ask for them to join
  • Should the target get hostile, blind them (if they aren't already), wait around for about a hundred turns or so until they're no longer in combat, then try talking to them as above

And, that should do. Just note, there's several precautions to take. In particular, the target is still hostile to you, and will attack and stop following you should they regain their sight or you bump into their space. Should that happen, just repeat step five. Otherwise, besides spitting at and spiting you, they'll do just about anything else a normal ally will do, including help build a site for you. In the latter case, they seem to cease becoming violent so long as you leave them to that task on their own, though chopping logs, sleeping, and generally bringing up the timer seems to snap them out of that phase.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: August 21, 2016, 04:07:58 am »

Don't know if anyone knew already, but there's a trick where you could contract just about any hostile intelligent creature as a companion, particularly semi-megabeasts like giants. Well... sorta. To start, you'd need to have an adventurer with hero status (ie killed at least one night troll or something better), and probably just a kick-ass adventurer overall. Furthermore, you might want to have a site with numerous logs available, if you're looking to build stuff.

• Find a target. This should be a non-leader historical figure that's at least semi-intelligent capable of speaking, and, preferrably, doesn't have extravision (ie has functional eyes).
  • Get outside their vision range and sneak up to them. Or, better yet, blind them.
  • Skip introductions and bring up incident of a significant kill you made (hopefully, one that won't anger them further!)
  • Ask for them to join
  • Should the target get hostile, blind them (if they aren't already), wait around for about a hundred turns or so until they're no longer in combat, then try talking to them as above

And, that should do. Just note, there's several precautions to take. In particular, the target is still hostile to you, and will attack and stop following you should they regain their sight or you bump into their space. Should that happen, just repeat step five. Otherwise, besides spitting at and spiting you, they'll do just about anything else a normal ally will do, including help build a site for you. In the latter case, they seem to cease becoming violent so long as you leave them to that task on their own, though chopping logs, sleeping, and generally bringing up the timer seems to snap them out of that phase.
so what your saying is write an interaction that causes eye rot then use the interaction made to make them willing to join as you can mod folks traits and personality now.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: August 21, 2016, 07:11:21 am »

• Ask for them to join

Or just be a necromancer, kill the creature and summon its dead body. :D

EDIT:
Don't want to double post soo:
I went into a human town with my human vampire necromancer. It had a temple and a tavern right next to the keep. The tavern people were mostly bards and some soldier goblins. After some poem processing I recruited one of the goblins. Everyone else in the tavern seemed to move out, so I followed them into the temple and figured it had a tomb underneath. So I went into the room with all the corpses and the mummy appeared due to my follower entering the room. Quickly an army of undead were risen by the Mummy. My foolish goblin-fellow ran off, thru the mass of people visiting the temple. That caused the following undeads to kill every single living thing in there. As the mummy appeared and summoned some more undead, his minions ran out into the tavern and keep to kill every living thing in this town. Since i was undead they left me alone to watch all this. It was very satisfying.

I got me some undead minions after the slaughter was over. Since 70% of the world population were goblins, i decided to run into a dark fortress and cause some trouble there, reduce the goblin pop a bit. As i arrived and my undead minions started chasing some goblins, i found a place with alot (50-60?) goblin skeletons surrounding some coffins and engraved slabs.There were alot goblins, beak wolves and Trolls down there too so I summoned all of the skeletons, every single one, and the chaos began. I had to keep pressing enter to move a tile as i got heavily spammed by combat logs. Every corpse i saw i brought back to life and the chaos went on while i tried to escape the current z-level so i wouldn't get spammed anymore (which took a while since i had around 10 fps). After i managed to go upstairs, i encountered goblin reinforcements. Easily killed by my Vampire (they are seriously OP) i summoned thier dead bodies once more. As the chasing went on, i decided to go out of this underground chaos. So i went up into the tower on the surface and retired.

I am about to retire another adventure somewhere else to play for a bit and then look into the legends/retire the other one once again to see what happend at the end. This might be truly horrorfying for my FPS.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:00:11 am by Malakor »

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: August 22, 2016, 03:56:44 am »

So... This happened: (sorry, didn't think to screen cap it). My vampire-necromancer dwarf, who has been danger room trained (cost her both ears and a lip, plus all her teeth; pre necro-vamp), just strangled a dragon to death. I was trying to just knock it out after hamstringing it, but nope, it just died. So I now have a risen dragon following me around... Seriously OP. Not bad so far, I'd say, for my first serious attempt at adventure mode.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: August 22, 2016, 05:53:14 am »

Well I just came across the biggest labyrinth I have ever seen, first one in a long time that I've seen that has multiple z-levels to it as well. It has 4-z levels and each level takes up nearly all of the site.
I also came across my first ever cyclops child, I've never seen one of those before so it was interesting. I've gotten a bit closer to wiping out all the great beasts of the world at the current rate I should be done some time in the year 252 so the golden age should start in 253, that or maybe the goblin age but I don't think they have quite enough of a enough of a population advantage to cause such an age to happen, if it does well, killing spree.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »

So I've been making use of the ability to spend time building shit to do things like watch worlds evolve over a full year of adventuring. Had to retire my first one in this world because the campsite wildlife multiplication bug left her with 900+ pages of rumors, made a dwarf after that and started running around. Went to continue work on one of the campsites I had started with Kubuk, led a hydra that was next door to an elf capital in to said capital to laugh as it nommed on them, which is only fair as they kept warring with my civ in the first place.

Lost track of the hydra after I went into travel mode so I went back to finish my site, rolled the year over and got the age of legends notification, a hamlet was founded somewhere, haven't found it yet but I intend to visit when I do.

Went down south to track down a dragon in a dark pit, killed her, checked on the forest retreat which legends said the hydra settled in after I left... found it up a tree and hilarity took place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: August 22, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

rolled the year over
How do you do that ?
Retire/un-retire loop ? Or do you have a faster way ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:46 pm »

Construction passes a lot of time when you're doing things like draining a volcano, building a roof over the bottom layer, walls to keep the water from above from falling in, and so forth.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:54 am »

After murdering everyone in the local lady's house, i've went to actual hamlet, where my murderhobo started goin' batshit insane.

My first victim was bone carver, which tried to attack me with copper slicing knife, but runned away after i catched his little knife. I've went after him, grabbed his throat, and started to stabbing him in lower body, trying to get the candy. After like 5-6 stabs, his candy popped out, and after like 6 stabs, his candy was extracted. Then i sliced his throat.
Spoiler: Yay, candy! (click to show/hide)

After entering building to the south, i've found lord and killed him by strangling him, and kicking his upper body from behind.
Spoiler: Falcon Kick! (click to show/hide)

In the same building where was the lord, there was three other peasants. I have killed one of them by critical strike!
Spoiler: Crit! (click to show/hide)

Then i was talking with last surviror in the building about myself, and how i can find myself. After some nice talk, i broked his left wrist, and tried to remove left hand with bronze short sword.
Spoiler: Talkin' (two images) (click to show/hide)

Whole hamlet was running away from me, but weaponsmith has greeted me, and thanked me for everything what i've done.
Spoiler: WTH (click to show/hide)

Then i shouted "WHO'S A MAN AND A HALF?! I AM MAN AND A HALF!!"
Spoiler: Falcon Punch! (click to show/hide)

"THERE'S NOTHING WHAT I CAN'T FIX... WITH MY HANDS!!"
Spoiler: Fixin' people (click to show/hide)

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: August 24, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »

How did you get the "behold mortal, I am a divine being" thing, thought you were on 43.03 at least?

Also I found uh, I don't even know where to begin with this bug report...

Started in year 499, the age of myth:
 17055 Dwarves
 1240 Humans
 11683 Elves
 16427 Goblins

Normal enough.

So I roll over to 500:
The world has entered the age of legend.
 43245 Dwarves
 1062 Humans
 9922 Elves
 15937 Goblins

Then I roll over to 501:
The world has entered the golden age.
 249674 Dwarves
 910 Humans
 8148 Elves
 7827 Goblins

WHAT

This is when I went looking through the world sites and pops more closely, previously I had just been using the 500-03-09 export to track down megabeasts for the golden age rollover, right?

Then after seeing the ridiculous dwarven population jump I looked and found the site responsible.

105: �dkulet, "Tunnelabbey", hamlet
 Owner: The Ordered Stake, dwarves
 Parent Civ: The Sculpted Rocks, dwarves
 lady: Cilob Wheeledstruck, dwarf
 147 > 29710 > 236608 dwarves
 50 horses
 2 > 4 > 7 dogs
 2 turkeys

I mean, were the dogs breeding? How are they not crushed under what must be a horrific mass of crushed bodies and vomit?

There were other weird bits in there after looking more closely, and on literally any other day, the presence of 25,792 polar bear men in one of the dark fortresses (along with 3456 raven men) would raise an eyebrow, but that is not this day.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:25 pm »

That's even weirder than when horses took over the world.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: August 24, 2016, 04:09:34 pm »

I would have noticed earlier but the dark fortress with all the polar bear men? It's under elf control, "ah ha, that must be it!" I though, but no, it's been that way for the whole two years, but both those groups went up by 4x first year, 16x second year, 64x total.

Sadly the dwarves in that hamlet don't line up: 115x first year, 13x second year, 1605x total.

It took 6.1 GB of RAM when I tried to leave fast travel in the hamlet, firefox and other stuff already had the rest taken up, I tried to switch over to tty2 to kill df with top when the mouse finally moved, so I was trying to drag the mouse over to kill it with the activity monitor when the tty2 switch happens, showing the message: warning, insufficient memory, kill process dwarf_fortress or sacrifice child.

Like where am I going to get a viable child sacrifice at this time of day?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:27:12 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1104