Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105008 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12870 on: August 12, 2016, 04:05:29 pm »

Can't claim singular buildings far as I'm aware - only entire towns/villages.

I see.   Hmmm....I did find a abandoned town.  Some of the buildings were even still standing.  Could I try to claim that?  Or do I need people in them to claim them?  That seems risky - somebody could try to kill me.   :o
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:01 pm »

Genned a new world and a Dwarf adventurer.  Rummaged around where I started to find an +Iron Battleaxe+ and +Iron Shield+, but didn't find any dwarf-sized armor. Recruited a couple humans who were around, and set off for a town (or was it a hamlet?) my lord told me was overrun by criminals.  Fell into a river running through a two z-level deep crevice, swam the wrong way to get out, turned around when I got to the end, got attacked by a stingray and some river otters, but eventually got out, tired, thirsty, and sleepy. After recovering, made it to the town/hamlet.  I couldn't find the criminals there, but was told about a bandit camp to the southwest.  Arrived there at night, snuck up on and chatted with the bandit captain, and told him about how I was going to fix the local bandit problem with violence.  He ran off to the northwest.  Killed the rest of the bandits, mostly in their sleep, and took their money.  Followed the captain, found him sleeping maybe 20 steps away, and killed him in his sleep.  Stopped off at a hillock, grabbed 5 plump helmets, and told some farmer there about my slaughter of the bandits.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12872 on: August 12, 2016, 05:08:04 pm »

Can't claim singular buildings far as I'm aware - only entire towns/villages.

I see.   Hmmm....I did find a abandoned town.  Some of the buildings were even still standing.  Could I try to claim that?  Or do I need people in them to claim them?  That seems risky - somebody could try to kill me.   :o
Yeah you can claim it, just gotta walk into the keep/mead hall for it to take effect. Not much you can do with it right now, to be perfectly honest, although in abandoned towns it will cause the temples to reappear. For whatever reason if a town has no government ruling it, the temples in it will only be square plots of land - it takes your adventurer to retire/die for them to come back, though, atleast I think it does.

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: August 13, 2016, 12:15:22 am »

I played an animal man adventurer for the first time, a peregrine falcon man. My plan was to make myself a vampire so I could fly at top speed forever. I first visited a hillocks to get a quest, so I headed to the main mound. I went down into it and what do I see? A titan standing over 3 dead dwarves. It was a lemon coloured feathered worm with deadly blood, sounds easy enough, right? I fly up in the air with my spear and shield, one hit could kill me so I have to be careful. I fly around stabbing it repeatedly, as I do this I notice other dwarves that are alive. The titan notices too and kills them all. I finally manage to kill it after what seems like forever. I grab some of it's ichor and head to the next hillocks so I can get my quest. On the way there I get thirsty, so I drink my water... and the ichor.

Now I am not sure what it did, but I assume my death wasn't painless.

I love this game.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: August 13, 2016, 06:48:50 pm »

Southwest of the dragon Slusa Brandedgilt, there was a zoom-in during fast travel: Kamuk came upon a shrine in the late afternoon. He then spent the night in the mountains.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the morning, as a precaution, Kamuk took a swim through a water tile to soak all body parts and all clothing items versus possible fire, as it was unknown what sort of critter lived in this shrine.

With sneak/ambush on, he dropped into slow travel mode 1 world map tile away and then crept along the ground until he saw the red bloom of EXTRAVISION. Kesh Liondeer the Prairie of the Seas the mountain titan was an eyeless hyena. Beware its !!fire!!.

Kamuk rechecked to see if he was still soaked with water. If for some reason he had dried out, as there was a river nearby, he would have fast traveled out to swim through a water tile yet again. There was water covering everything. All that was left to do was lighten the load and drop some of his inventory to get back to 1.000 walking speed.
NOTE: checking (i)nventory will only show water covering your person, not items. To see both, you'd select (e)at and scroll through to see that everything was water covered. Of course if you are covered, your items are covered.

Kamuk began his approach and was struck and engulfed by fireball, as no shield level offers any protection versus that attack; the swim through the water tile had ☼fireproofed☼ him. Kamuk was also able to remain standing as fireballs can knock you down. Kesh Liondeer's other fire attack was breath, which Kamuk auto-blocked with his wood shield. As Kesh Liondeer's fire attacks were neutralized, it became nothing more than a titan with no special attack. Here's the sequence:
Once Kesh had been struck down, its skin was tanned and made into leather armor.

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #12875 on: August 13, 2016, 07:12:13 pm »

Since the area I was calling home was slowly getting cleansed by evildoers from two directions, I decided to cut my losses, loot the local abandoned keep and head down south where things would be safer for me (And to find traders to make some bucks on the loot).

I journeyed for 4 days and 4 nights, stopping constantly to melt ice and snow for water, and fighting a muscular bird of some sort for food. The fight ended after quite some time, when my war hammer finally managed to go through it's chest, squashing its heart.

As I got closer and closer to my destination, I had to cross plenty of rivers. Some I climbed over, some I walked over as the rivers where frozen solid. As I reached the last river, the weather had changed and the water was now flowing freely.

After taking a first step into the river however, wading across, the weather suddenly changed and the flowing water froze solid, ending my journey in an instant, as I turned into an human popsicle.

To quote Mr. Freeze: "Death is cold, Batman."
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: August 14, 2016, 09:12:43 am »

Made a new world since the old one has an weird fetish to kill me. Like:

- Being a normal Demi-god human Adventurer being on a quest to kill a troll.
 - Recruiting a Human Lasher before i go off into the wilds, to find his empty lair.
 - Since it gets dark, finding a place to sleep near the liar incase the troll will be there next day.
 - Waking up, while being "unconscious" getting hit by an Human Lasher twice, and die.
 - Then realize how my companion normally chats with my murderer, like nothing happend.
 - Making up a story in my head where the human lasher was a bandit in disguise and called his friend to kill me off and rob my stuff!
 - coating of tears in my eyes due to this betrayal. I thought we were friends!!!
 - Decided that the world hates me since this was my 5th Adventure dying in a weird case like that and makes a new one.

This time i will play as peasant and go the very very slow way, being a Farmer/Hunter chasing only animals, til i am skilled enough.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:15:33 am by Malakor »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: August 14, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »

When in doubt, mod bronze colossi to be playable. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: August 14, 2016, 04:48:51 pm »

When in doubt, mod bronze colossi to be playable. :V
end up playing a glass cannon as creatures start punching your limbs off.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: August 14, 2016, 05:20:23 pm »

Started an adventure as a mountain goat man, I decided that my adventurer shall be a battle bard with a desire to protect the world from evil instead of my usual being evil, from the lowliest of bandits to the most dangerous of titans, from the giant beasts to the smallest thieves, I shall stop them all. That or die horribly, either way is fine with me.

I spent some time training my skills to prepare myself to be a protector of the land once I was satisfied with my skill I traveled to a hamlet and discovered that bandits were causing some trouble, they were all recruits unarmed and unskilled, I decided I wouldn't kill them just yet, so instead I beat a bunch of them up, after I knocked a few out with a fist to the face they run away in terror, cowards I'm just one mountain goat man! Surely you can defeat me, you outnumbered me over 12 to 1! I let them go deciding that they aren't worth my time, perhaps if they keep causing trouble I'll kill them but until then, they live.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #12880 on: August 14, 2016, 08:04:04 pm »

Ibon Pricemobbed was a simple man, who decided to bring 4 guardsmen with him on an adventure.

After just a few days traveling, Ibon lost his leg to a alligator who pulled it clean of and ran away with it, while one of his fellow travelers, Sitsu Knightclean, lost a fot to a snapping turtle. Another couple of days of traveling passed, at a slow pace since Ibon was now unable to stand and had to crawl to get anywhere.

For a week he crawled through the woods, with his companions walking idly by his side, trying to get him to go fight a swamp titan who killed 12 people. As the days passed, one of the guards was lost to a river, being unable to swim. Another guard wandered of and was never seen again. The third guard got maimed by a giant leopard, which Ibon managed to kill while laying on his back, rolling from side to side to dodge incoming attacks, furiously stabbing at the leopards face, managing to take out both of his eyes and then killing it.

After another week of crawling around the woods, the party of two (Ibon and Sitsu-the-footless) came upon a fort run by Minotaur-looking creatures, who sadly did not have any knifes to trade Ibon. The goal of getting a crutch so he could finally walk again vanished once again. Searching high and low, asking ferric elves and badgermen for a knife, Ibon decided to crawl all the way back to where he came from, to see if he could find a knife there. While on his way back, Sitsu walked off and was never again seen. While crawling along through the woods all by himself, Ibon was attacked by Skim Scrapedflayed the griffon, the flying creature attacking Ibon on sight. Ibon did what he had done for weeks now, rolling left and right, and attacking whenever possible, dualwielding a copper short seax and a scythe. Ibon managed to take out one of the griffons legs, who fell to the ground, giving Ibon the advantage, since the griffon was clearly not as skilled as Ibon was at prone-fighting, who after a series of stabs killed Skim, death by bleeding. After butchering his corpse, Ibon put Skim's skull in his backpack and crawled away.

Back at his home city, Ibon managed to find not only a knife, but also a wooden crutch, and for the first time in 2 weeks, Ibon could stand once more. He also found and equipped a full set of glass armor in the keep, and some trinkets, hoping to sell them in a nearby town. Walking out of the town, Ibon shouted to everyone who would listen about how he killed the griffon, while laying on his back. He had the skull to prove it.

As Ibon traveled alongside a lake, he was suddenly ambushed by a magical creature known as a Raiju, a electric fox-like creature who can stun enemies and pull metallic weapons away from them. Ibon had no chance of reacting as the Raiju dashed towards him with lightning speed, and shocked him enough to stun him instantly, and Ibon fell to the ground, unable to move a muscle. The raiju then proceeded to try and scratch Ibon to death, but this proved to be a futile attempt, the electric fox's claws unable to penetrate Ibons glass armor. It scratched his head, his legs, his chest, over and over again, but did no damage. Eventually the fox fell to the ground, having overexerted itself. After a short rest, it got back up and continued to scratch away at Ibon, who still laid stunned, as the foxes lightningstrikes kept Ibon in a frozen state.

This meeting turned out to be fatal for Ibon, but not because of the foxes pitiful claws. Ever since the fox first struck him down with its lightning attacks, Ibon had been unable to move any muscle. This included the muscles in his lugns. Ibon Pricemobbed died there on that beach by suffocation, being unable to breath.

And who knows, maybe the fox is still there by Ibon's corpse, fruitlessly clawing away at his armor to try and get to the fleshy bits.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:25:31 pm by NukeACitrus »
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: August 14, 2016, 08:16:35 pm »

Ibon Pricemobbed was a simple human, who decided to bring 4 guardsmen with him on an adventure...
Ibon lived a good, eventful life.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Well southeast of mountain titan,  Kesh Liondeer the Prairie of the Seas, was the town of Sweptbegun.

There Kamuk asked human tavern keeper Kawe Dreamedpets about the surrounding area. He was hoping for a vault so he could fast track spear training, but he limited the "ask about surroundings" spam. Somewhere along the southern periphery of the town was the unknown lair of some murderer, likely an outcast. Further out there was a hydra prowling about and likely a bandit camp or two.

The unknown lair of the murderer was indeed the home of a human outcast.
Kamuk questioned him wondering if this would be a good time to recruit. All moon worshippers carry nothing and can become anything. The human Astri Humorbutters was a former fish cleaner and clearly an unknown werecreature. Who else would you want manning one of your camps? Or what better companion? One who self heals!  However Astri felt he wasn't cut out for anything, so there was no reason to take him along. Say his goodbyes, Kamuk left.

Kamuk scouted east of Astri's burrow in fast travel mode, as quite often outcasts are bunched together.
There he found another worshipper of the moon, the human Shem Steppeprairies who was leaving a burrow. Inside was another human,  Vispol Plannedhonored. Apparently Shem was just out for a visit. Neither woman provided much information. Of course with outcasts, this was just the surface…

Westward, through luck and  fast travel brute-canvasing, Kamuk tracked down the lair of the abovementioned hydra. The hydra, a critter with level 6 stats,  is like 7 night trolls (capable of biting-only) confined to one tile. It happens to have great agility and good attack speed like a night troll, but poor large creature movement speed. Statistically, once your character is well above level 6 for shield user and dodger, a hydra fight ceases to be competitive, and unfortunately it could be run with the utmost sloppiness and complete lack of care. Kamuk, though, ran the combat tightly as it makes more RP-sense.

For any large creature that can charge, the best opening sequence is to  rotate via dodge  until you get a side attack to ground it by striking the foot or legs. Bipeds require just one shot, while quadrupeds will require two. So, Kamuk rotated around the hydra as it charged. Before grounding it, he ended up rotating within one tile of his starting position as each previous dodge either didn't place him in the part of the tick cycle where the hydra was still charging, allowing for the side attack to the legs; or the successful attack in that turn wasn't enough to ground. In the 3 opportunities he was given, Kamuk opted to stab the rear legs, to ground it. He did work in a critical hit via punch to the lungs in-between leg attacks. From there on out, it was stand and trade until Kamuk became tired. When he dodged one tile away to gain 10 ticks of recovery, the hydra bled out.

The return to Sweptbegun occurred during a full moon, so Kamuk decided to visit each outcast to see what sort of werecreature each happened to be. Astri was alone, transformed into a werelizard. Shem and Vispol being friends, were found together at war:
Kamuk left them all to their moon worship. Tomorrow all 3 werecritters would be fairly worn out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:37:16 pm by peasant cretin »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: August 15, 2016, 06:51:24 am »

Just generated new world and started playing as Human murderhobo (i.e Outsider). I started near the camp, i was walking around it to check if there is any archers,  and i have found one crossbowman, started attacking him and provoked all the camp. I bited crossbowman in left hand, shaked it and runned away from incoming spearman. Spearman stabbed me in the right lower arm, tearing the muscle, then i catched his spear when he attacked me, gained possesion of it, then i grabbed his throat and strangled him. Then i bited off both of his middle fingers.

Then i attacked chief of the camp, and man, he was pretty badass! When i cracked his left wrist and right ankle, he didn't even felt any pain. (Maybe he was a vampire)

Then suddendly crossbowman came from south, i rushed towards him, grabbed his crossbow, strangled him and started to bash him in the head with his own weapon. After that, i returned to chief and breaked his right wrist and right hip, still he didn't passed out from pain, so i bited his middle fingers off, then bited his neck and shaked it, he survived 20 shakes before going to The Realm Of Armok. I grabbed his clothes (dress and sandals) and headed to the nearest hamlet.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: August 15, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »

I scrapped the adventure I was on due to reasons and made a new world, first large world I've ever done anything in, I again chose to be a mountain goat man, unlike in the last world that had the savagery increased and had many mountain goat men, this world had sixteen when I started the adventure, I'd like to think my adventurer thought to herself, "My kind is on the verge of extinction, we'd be lucky to last to the next century, I must go on a grand adventure and become a legendary hero so that I and my kind may be remembered." or something like that.

I trained until I was suitably skilled and went to look for some trouble, I found it in a hamlet with a few bandits making some trouble, I killed them and reported this to the lady ruling here, I became her hearth-person  and was given the task to kill a vampire, I searched for it and came upon it, he did not last long, I decided to become a vampire and I drank his blood, didn't become a vampire, I went to the town and toppled a statue, became vampire. I reported my success to my lady and she gave me a new task, another vampire, it also went down quite easily, the next task wasn't as simple, she gave me the order to kill a bronze colossus!

I tried to slay it with my meager iron long sword but it did no damage. I realized no amount of hitting it with my sword would do anything, so I traveled north to dwarven lands in the hope of finding steel. I searched for many days, through many forts and I finally found a dwarf wielding a steel battleaxe, I bought it from him and by the power of modding I was able to break it down to steel bars and remake it into a masterwork steel long sword. I traveled back the the shrine and fought with the bronze colossus again, this time my attacks were able to dent it, it was felled surprisingly quickly, I was expecting a much longer fight.

I give the good news to my lady and she sends me on a few more quests to deal with some bandits and a few criminal organizations, then there was no more to do, she tells me to enjoy these times of peace but to remain vigilant, I could not stay though, I cannot rest until there is no more to do or I am dead. I traveled north and came upon a hamlet and I entered the mead hall and told the lady there of how I slew a mighty bronze colossus, I became her hearth-person and she gave me a task, slay a roc, I traversed, to its lair and engaged in battle with it, it was a fairly long battle, it fought until its blood left its body and it could fight no more. Apparently it was the wrong roc, the one I was supposed to fight was a almost right next to it, that fight was much quicker. I received a few more orders, slay a giant, kill a dragon, drive out some criminals and bandits, I've done a lot of work in this area, but there is still so very much left to do.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: August 15, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »

The elephant man Besti Apeswood the Golden Wax of Crumbling and his party of 7 companions or so came across a giant rhinoceros. They easily killed it, and Besti decided to wield his copper great axe in one hand, and the giant rhino's horn in the other.
The giant rhino horn proved effective in killing, easily crushing various body parts of future opponents of Besti Apeswood, so he felt pretty confident when he was told by the Lord of his hamlet that he were to go to a hydra's lair and slay it.
That's when he found out hydras are much tougher than he thought.
It didn't take much long for the hydra to kill a few of Besti's companions, before finally killing him by shaking him around by the beast's various mouths. The hydra then proceeded to kill the final surviving companions of the elephant man.
And so ends the life of my greatest adventurer, beast slayer and hero of the town, killer of goblins and kobolds, night trolls, various giant animals, and other forms of life.

May Besti Apeswood the Golden Wax of Crumbling and his companions rest in pieces peace.
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1104