Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105523 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12630 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:21 am »

Easiest way to spam time now is to get access to the caverns, cut down all the trees that spit out good amounts of lumber, then build build build, I've gotten used to seeing "A few months ago I slew..." when telling folks in a new site about my kills.

Yeah, fuck that. I could piss away a few hours at a time doing building, OR I could piss away two whole weeks at a time via starting adventurers and retiring/starving them.
If you don't gotta eat or sleep it's 16 hours at a stretch, if you can build from the caverns it's uninterrupted, and it's constructive in some sense. I like building nonsense that ends up stretching from the bottom to the top of a drained volcano tube, thousands of logs, I like to keep it to a few colors of wood so I end up clearcutting my camp within a week usually, and then start making supply runs to haul the desired wood from adjacent areas.

Two weeks is only 336 logs, I've had constructions where I needed over a thousand after I finished designations, but my primary goal isn't specifically to pass time. Just a nice bonus that I get to advance the calendar by months at a time while doing something besides standing around spamming waits.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:21 am »

Well then I guess you're doomed to pass the time tediously. Sucks.

Now you could start a bunch of adventurers and retire them all in a camp. Your own little imaginary civilization
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: July 11, 2016, 01:23:13 am »

Very tempting, but again. Starting and satarving adventurers is way faster than building.

And too bad monster island ALSO means outsiders only, and thus no ability to claim camps and thus no ability to retire...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: July 11, 2016, 05:48:05 am »

I rescued two children from the Goblins.

After reuniting one of them, the other child, and everyone present, promptly attacked them.

After leaving that mess behind, I reunited the last child, whose own mother promptly killed them.

I don't know what to say to this.

I've noticed this behavior before. It's because they're considered to be part of the goblin civ.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12634 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:26 am »

I rescued two children from the Goblins.

After reuniting one of them, the other child, and everyone present, promptly attacked them.

After leaving that mess behind, I reunited the last child, whose own mother promptly killed them.

I don't know what to say to this.
I'm going to hell for laughing at this. What have you done to me, Dwarf Fortress.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: July 11, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »

Sad thing is that last time I managed to rescue some children, early on before this bug seemed to have popped up, their uncle they suggested I bring them to? Killed by rampaging goblin bandits, RIGHT as I fucking got there.

Since that was my "mod in a playable civilized dragon" adventure, things ended badly for the little demon-worshipers.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: July 11, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »

When Kamuk first started this run, I leaned towards completely avoiding  all water crossings after the period of mid-morning thaw to noontime. Since slow traveling along the same waterways and in the case of the central forest camp—in-between building sections of the camp— I began paying more attention to Kamuk's surroundings, less for the parts, more for the whole. As in despite periodically checking temperature while trying to divine the change in thaws to solids, "it is cold" never really indicated thaw or freeze as well as time of day, along with the habits particular to the location in question.  The section of  river adjacent to Kamuk's central forest camp had been rarely frozen, and if so, only from a late point in the evening. This was where it felt,  beyond roleplay, the run became a forester/ranger's run in terms of game play. Your dwarf's not much of a ranger if you the player maintain only cursory knowledge of his/her biome.

Anyways, because of those crashes and the importance of getting barrels of booze back to his camp, Kamuk never did get to swap out his old handwear or trade out the bows he had made. He had to make the journey south again, this time to the hilllocks near Matchbolted. Various militia commanders and sheriffs were given bows/crossbows and bone arrows. Kamuk began to collect knives from all 4 metal types that he imagined he might use on a future werebeast. The journey southward had involved a grizzly bear combat and so his shield user advanced to (lvl 5) proficient and his dodger to (lvl 3) competent. Because of this Kamuk decided to follow the smell of death and bug innards to their point of origin which were those unmoving asterisks that dotted the map.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: July 11, 2016, 07:58:54 pm »

so max I just realize that if you cave in the stone ceiling in arena you should be able to take any flying adventurer through that wide hole to the grassy surface.
though I don't know if it's cool to build in a voidless
also yes it's possible for a dwarf to take fall damage on a 'open space' tile.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: July 11, 2016, 09:29:05 pm »

Yeah, I added flight to dragons back when I was modding them, so when I made the dwarf shaped dorfs out of them I left the flight and steel bones, just removed the breath... I don't need to be tempted to set everything on fire any more than I already am. So I was exploring it with one.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:57 pm »

Yeah, I added flight to dragons back when I was modding them, so when I made the dwarf shaped dorfs out of them I left the flight and steel bones, just removed the breath... I don't need to be tempted to set everything on fire any more than I already am. So I was exploring it with one.

Everyone does that. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:02 pm »

Does what, flying dragons, dwarf shaped versions of them, or get tempted to set everything on fire if they have dragon breath?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: July 11, 2016, 10:40:16 pm »

Doh. Flying dragons mostly. Though I suspect the "must...resist...urge to burn things" thing is also universal. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:05 am »

"Just cause I'm a outsider doesn't mean I have a right to all this gunk you have here!" I'm all like as I loot a naga fortress... its halarious cause for the longest time I didn't have any bags, so all I would do is sheath my weapons and pick up the weapons I wanted...
Yep, I'm currently carrying about twenty different weapons, and I think three of them are spear types XD
http://imgur.com/a/FFMlA

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: July 12, 2016, 12:16:18 am »

Also, I remembered something. Let's say you have a breath interaction and your main focus is freezing targets with a permanently-cold material. What state of matter is best for cooling the victim off fastest, and what material properties (aside from the obvious fixed temp)?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: July 12, 2016, 12:22:08 am »

Also, I remembered something. Let's say you have a breath interaction and your main focus is freezing targets with a permanently-cold material. What state of matter is best for cooling the victim off fastest, and what material properties (aside from the obvious fixed temp)?

I think this is what you mean...
Myself I'd say liquid as the most effective, solids being the second, and gas/air being the least (Though this is real world logic.)
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1104