Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105765 times)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12495 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:21 pm »

Making a kickboxer fairy this time, which is a bit ironic given that fairies no longer use their feet to stand at all. Curious to see how it turns out.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »

So these are a lot of fun to build. Trying to juggle the timing needed to get things in place before the magma fills in around it, planning out what you can get constructed and what you have to cancel because it filled in too early, and so forth.

This one was really glitchy, when I got to the site all the lava was just sitting there without collapsing, so I was able to do the initial support using the temporarily exposed SMR on the side of a lava flow.

Why Bloodsmokes?

This dorf is fully buffed, skilled up, etc, all the tags, all the damage resist, all that. I can skid facefirst across the ground until my armor disintegrates and walk away with bruises, I dance in dragonfire, and I can swim around in magma.

This stuff made my lungs show up yellow briefly, that's gotta be awful crud.

Really wish the rest of the world recognized our camps as proper taverns and libraries and such, still a lot of fun exploring the sites and playing around with cavern stuff.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: June 25, 2016, 01:18:27 am »

I think adventure mode kinda doesn't do fort mode taverns well. so adventure mode ones probably even trickier to pull off given you can't assign someone the tavern leader or bard performer at these places.
if you boot up 43.03 dfhack and figure out how taverns work you might be able to solve that question.

atleast now we can just assign weird zones for companions to spawn in, and possibly build a prison where you lock up all your 'worker' companions into cells they can't escape from.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: June 25, 2016, 01:25:58 am »

Well, lesson learned. Do not make a creature drop body parts as an EBO. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12499 on: June 25, 2016, 06:32:33 am »

A foreword: the way I have fairy kicks set up, they're side kicks, rather than the front thrust that the vanilla kick seems to be; as such, the striking part is the shin, rather than the foot.

Verdict: I can very reliably instakill any humanoid enemy up to the size of a human with a single well-placed kick to the head, but things drop off very quickly as the target starts getting bigger - I can stun or occasionally knock out a giant dingo on a lucky hit, and I can barely bruise an alligator. I blame a lot of this on my character's size. Like, just for reference, the fairy race in my mod has an average max size of 32500, which is approximately the size of a 4-year old dwarven child.

Man, it's a good thing I made fairies not need legs to walk, because I lost the use of my right leg almost instantly. Logistics explanation is that they're literally floating.

It hasn't been a pleasant journey so far. My first ally was taken by a crocodile; I built a mausoleum to house her and any further casualties. Before I'd even made it to the next bandit camp, I had to turn around and fill a second coffin due to giant dingoes.

EDIT:

Found a "city" that barely qualifies as a hamlet, and had this happen while talking to a local.

This seems wrong. What's going on here?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:01:04 pm by leafbarrett »
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: June 25, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »

Got the 4 repair/alteration reactions working for yarn/plant/leather/silk items and regenned a nice 550 yr large world using the basic advance settings to get two hemispheres.

Created knucklehead peasant dwarf Kamuk Sootgrips the Muddy Boots as a novice wrestler/fighter in the hilllock Yawnshields. The biome is taiga and the tree types Kamuk has encountered are pine, bayberry, willow, and larch. This area is just below the northern glacier that acts as the ceiling to the world. Before setting off, Kamuk crafted a rock salt axe.

Kamuk traveled eastward 3 world map tiles to the faded gray fortress, Risetools, to pick up some thread for the repair reactions and to craft a few tower-cap shields. Risetools was held by a skeleton crew of dwarves. All rooms, except for the occasional occupant, were empty.

Kamuk needed to explore the underground rock block road some distance, as both sides were flanked by waterway in order to access a suitable tree. On the return to the fortress entrance he encountered a small cave toad which he strangled after a bout of fisticuffs. Since the waterways looked to hold steady at 7 flow, Kamuk went for a short clean water swim to train from novice to competent swimmer.

The warehouse at Risetools was fairly bare. Just gems and weapons, a single item per tile separated by emptiness. Kamuk helped himself to a $copper war hammer$ and a $copper battle axe$. There was silver and iron, but Kamuk went with sub-optimal. There was unfortunately no thread, so he returned to cavern level one hoping to find some silk.

Instead he found a cave crocodile. Most of that encounter involved gripping and re-gripping its teeth and tail, shield blocking and strikes. Kamuk was waiting until any type strike to the teeth would come up as an attack of opportunity (!). Finally a scratch sent its teeth in various directions. Copper hammer neck shot removed any grappling attack it could have had, reducing it to just push attack. Once it passed out due to exhaustion, Kamuk strangled it. An interesting thing just from an XP gain vantage point is an unconscious opponent will still grant wrestler XP and thus fighter XP. Doesn't make much XP sense to finish any other way but choke.

Kamuk encountered one more croc and toad while traveling the underground rock block road. There were no signs of spider webs and so he made the return journey to Risetools. he'll head 6 world map tiles west to  the fortress Matchbolted. Advancing a character underground has only the danger of the giant cave spider, above ground, a slow travel character's ranging is affected by bogeymen and if on an unpopulated map, the potential of running blindly into a shrine. It can be exciting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:57:46 am by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: June 25, 2016, 09:19:12 pm »

So, I think this time I might go and make a less evil, savage realm. At least enough to make elves exist or something.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: June 25, 2016, 09:43:50 pm »

Diversity is good, whether one likes elves or not. Where will you get your wooden armor from if not from elves?

-----------------------------------------------

Kamuk had spent most of the way on the return to Risetools jogging, bringing up that average endruance to above average. He avoided a few critters on the way back. Kamuk had enough meat to last some time, and while he could have used the XP, I didn't want it to come from these underground dwellers. It's not that moving from a kill count of 4 to 10 will create uncontrolled ascending. It's avoiding killing just because they're there. 6 fights could have moved him from adequate shield to anywhere between skilled and proficient if he ran each fight along the grip/re-grip/block Zagod Rifot schedule, but with  striking on opportunity only (!).

Instead, Kamuk will slow travel with ambusher on, as he did underground to Yawnshields, first to give his sheriff and his militia commander tower-cap shields and copper weapons. He'll have to trade for their knives (these days I add the 3 knife types to the entity file for both dwarves and goblins). Mechanically, if they still had the knives strapped and were engaed in combat, they might pull the knife instead of the weapon. RP-wise it'd be nice to see the only 2 NPCs with secondary weapons.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:46:38 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:50 pm »

Diversity is good, whether one likes elves or not. Where will you get your wooden armor from if not from elves?

I oughta add wooden armor to Adventurecraft. Mostly I say elves because they've consistently been the last civilization to stop thriving as you nudge savagery and evil up. Or it may merely be from those experiments trying to goad more titans in existence, and when you make terrain more chaotic to facilitate that, forests are more likely to prevail in enough habitable areas compared to plains.

Kinda weird that I never seem to see goblins in an all-evil, survivably-savage world.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:05 am »

I've found an elven hammerlord leading a goblin raiding party that had occupied a dwarven hillock, and then my human companion stabbed her in the heart. Fittingly, her name was 'Mame'.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: June 26, 2016, 02:01:15 am »

I oughta add wooden armor to Adventurecraft. Mostly I say elves because they've consistently been the last civilization to stop thriving as you nudge savagery and evil up. Or it may merely be from those experiments trying to goad more titans in existence, and when you make terrain more chaotic to facilitate that, forests are more likely to prevail in enough habitable areas compared to plains.

Kinda weird that I never seem to see goblins in an all-evil, survivably-savage world.

You could just use advanced settings to have more titans. Unless you already are and some other setting you have is causing that low titan count. And yes, you should add wooden armor to Adv Craft. There's something to be said about wooden caps as they keep the brain from growing beyond the skull.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: June 26, 2016, 02:07:51 am »

You could just use advanced settings to have more titans. Unless you already are and some other setting you have is causing that low titan count. And yes, you should add wooden armor to Adv Craft. There's something to be said about wooden caps as they keep the brain from growing beyond the skull.

Basically, bumping up the max number doesn't FORCE more titans to exist. Only one can exist in each chunk of distinct biome, if the wiki is corrdct in that regard. So far it seems accurate, I SEEM to (need to run some real !!SCIENCE!! on this) find more titan shrines when I increase various variance settings plus the max number of subregions.

Wooden armor does sound adorable, though I really which I could make adventurer reactions species-specific.

Actually no, I wish FUCKING GROWN GOODS could be cited by custom reactions. >.<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:09 pm »

Slow travel ambush through taiga to the hillock Yawnshields involved a trek towards the mountain range to remove the bogeymen factor. Before setting out, Kamuk crafted a larch bow  and 50 conglomerate arrows as he would find hunting in this snowy tree-lined landscape.

This boreal forest was composed of  larch, pine and bayberry. There Kamuk ambushed a pack of hoary marmots. He let loose a leaky faucet of 34 dull arrows-one drip after another-aimed at the  muscular marmot in the middle of the group, with bowdwarf advancing from dabbling to just below adequate. These shots caused a few bone chips and several fractures before the muscular marmot gave in to pain. It regained consciousness on Kamuk's walking melee approach and began its escape. Kamuk switched to 2.808 sprint (at abv avg STR/abv avg AGI) and ran him down with the copper spear, severing the head. That made two skins to tan and two attempts at leather armor. The first try produced one of *superior quality*. That would be a gift for the Yawnshields' sheriff. The second produced one of standard quality that Kamuk would eventually decide to wear.

After moving through what appeared to be 2 world map tiles of snowy terrain, Kamuk came upon a herd of yak. He looked for the finest yak of the herd, but there wasn't one. He settled on a fat yak bull. There were 16 conglomerate arrows to drop its speed. Only one landed a bruise, the others missing, so Kamuk gave chase at 2.808 sprint, causing the herd split. At first Kamuk had his eye on the fat bull, but after charging past a row of pines,  a muscular yak bull came into view. This was the prize of the herd.

Kamuk caught up to the  muscular yak bull and grabbed a horn, then followed with a spear stab, tearing the  lower body, hoping it would become a stuck-in. It did not and the  muscular yak bull broke his grip and was now 1 tile away, then many more. Kamuk could not beat its speed due to poor gait. He would also frequently grow tired from the sprint. He shifted back into ambush and lay prone weaving through the trees to approach the  muscular yak bull from its blind spot within the vision cone. He was able to close the distance and apply another grab. This time Kamuk speared the leg to drop it, but the spear only bruised the skin, the grip was broken, and space was recreated. This occurred two more times over a great expanse of taiga, and after the second unfruitful attempt,  Kamuk began to throw his copper spear. The spear struck the right rear leg, tearing muscle, bruising bone, ripping nerve and tendon, but as it was just one leg,  it was not enough to drop a quadruped. Next he threw his copper battle axe which tore at the lower body. Kamuk closed, picked up both weapons, and threw his spear twice into the body, only bruising. The fifth attempt to throw cut a tendon in the front right leg, dropping it to the ground.

There was an unfortunate series of spear stabs, one of which ruptured a major artery, followed by another unfortunate series of stabs until the  muscular yak bull finally bled out. Then Kamuk took a drink of dwarven wine.

He followed his own tracks back to the larch logs, 5 pond turtle meat,  6 hoary marmot meat, 14 cave toad meat,  58 cave croc meat, and whatever discarded cave critter organs he had left behind. It was surprising the area hadn't offloaded everything after the chase. Laden with meat and leather, Kamuk's speed dropped to 0.099. A damselfly flickered past at over 10 tile distance. Kamuk had reached the mountain range. Sun was setting. The yak chase had taken the better part of the day. It was now time to sleep. Over next 2 days he would slow travel the last three world map tiles of uneventful mountain range, avoiding several herd of yak,  one group of marmot, and a few groundhogs.

Kamuk came down from the mountains with agility, focus, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense now at high, thanks to slow traveling ambush all the way. He  entered the Yawnshields' castle  mound in the early evening through the odor of bug innards. A brief look at the spread rumor menu indicated a glut of night troll activity in the area. That's the sort of thing that means occasionally checking the fast travel map for static asterisks during daylight hours and avoiding moving asterisks as night falls while in slow travel mode. This run I've avoided populating the map at all which should add a bit of surprise.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: June 26, 2016, 07:40:40 pm »

After a good deal of adventuring, including but not limited to slaying a dragon, bringing several necromancer towers to ruin and defeating bandit ambush upon bandit ambush, I decided it was time for my elf berserk to take on a demon. Upon checking Legends mode, I have acquired the name of several underworld spires. However, I don't know how to find them ingame, as I am unable to ask people for directions to these locations. Anyone knows a way ?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: June 26, 2016, 10:00:33 pm »

After a good deal of adventuring, including but not limited to slaying a dragon, bringing several necromancer towers to ruin and defeating bandit ambush upon bandit ambush, I decided it was time for my elf berserk to take on a demon. Upon checking Legends mode, I have acquired the name of several underworld spires. However, I don't know how to find them ingame, as I am unable to ask people for directions to these locations. Anyone knows a way ?

The actual SPIRES are always located in dark fortresses. It's the vaults that are annoying to find.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1104