Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2106046 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12345 on: June 16, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

WHY CAN I FAST TRAVEL INTO THE OCEAN?!
Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: June 16, 2016, 03:53:11 pm »

WHY CAN I FAST TRAVEL INTO THE OCEAN?!
Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Become a whale and you're golden.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: June 16, 2016, 08:18:36 pm »

Most recently, I took my adventurer (who started as a peasant but has since slain a roc, minotaur, brush titan, and bronze colossus, along with many criminals/bandits), wielding a ☼steel short sword☼, and her band of 11 warriors to assault a Dark Fortress and rescue some prisoners, one of which was the cousin of my very first recruit. ...After my first foray into the place, I found that the despawning ally bug was in full effect, and after my team scattered, I never saw any of them again - I will admit I savescummed at this point, because fuck that. For the sake of lag reduction and not having my army scatter and then despawn, I melted all the goblins, as they were posing very minimal threat anyways and the team was butchering them en masse.

By default, the game has no name for melted flesh, because it has no melting point normally.

How did you get them all to melt? I'm trying to do the same to thin out the goblin swarm but setting HOMEOTHERM on them doesn't seem to affect any that have been loaded at any point in the past.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12348 on: June 17, 2016, 04:17:19 am »

It seems that pain effects have been greatly toned down for the 43.03 update (they are now adjusted according to the size of the body part damaged, so no more passing out and getting killed because an enemy smashed your finger).  This makes adventure fighting a lot less cheap, since grabbing an enemy's hand and breaking their wrist no longer results in an instant victory.
instead grabbing the enemy neck and applying a choke hold results in an 3 tick victory.

Yeah... Anyone know why this is?  I'm not personally experienced in the fine art of choking people to death but it seems to me that choking someone is just cutting off their windpipe, so it should basically just cause them to suffocate as long as you maintain the grip, like drowning or when both lungs are damaged.  (Granted suffocating creatures should fall unconscious for a little while before actually dying, but that's a different issue).

Have all DF wrestlers been secretly trained by Vulcans or something?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: June 17, 2016, 05:38:42 am »

Yeah... Anyone know why this is?  I'm not personally experienced in the fine art of choking people to death but it seems to me that choking someone is just cutting off their windpipe, so it should basically just cause them to suffocate as long as you maintain the grip, like drowning or when both lungs are damaged.  (Granted suffocating creatures should fall unconscious for a little while before actually dying, but that's a different issue).
There are air chokes and blood chokes. DF is a bit weird on this as the 3 tick knock out really sounds like the blood choke. However all other combat text that you get given the throat damage implies an air choke.

Have all DF wrestlers been secretly trained by Vulcans or something?
Nah, they're all crosstraining in BJJ. Vulcans are more concerned with blacksmithing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: June 17, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »

Actually it specifically says strangle which is a blood choke, it just lists the death as suffocation instead of "died from lack of blood to the brain" or "strangulation" which would suffice I think, even "has been throttled to death" would work.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12351 on: June 17, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »

Most recently, I took my adventurer (who started as a peasant but has since slain a roc, minotaur, brush titan, and bronze colossus, along with many criminals/bandits), wielding a ☼steel short sword☼, and her band of 11 warriors to assault a Dark Fortress and rescue some prisoners, one of which was the cousin of my very first recruit. ...After my first foray into the place, I found that the despawning ally bug was in full effect, and after my team scattered, I never saw any of them again - I will admit I savescummed at this point, because fuck that. For the sake of lag reduction and not having my army scatter and then despawn, I melted all the goblins, as they were posing very minimal threat anyways and the team was butchering them en masse.

By default, the game has no name for melted flesh, because it has no melting point normally.

How did you get them all to melt? I'm trying to do the same to thin out the goblin swarm but setting HOMEOTHERM on them doesn't seem to affect any that have been loaded at any point in the past.
There are actually a few options here. If you want them to just instantly vanish from existence, the quickest way is:

[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:0]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:60000]
I've yet to see a creature last for even a single tick given those variables. I was just feeling particularly vindictive at the time and wanted them to melt. (For the record: [MELTING_POINT:0])
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: June 17, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »

Actually it specifically says strangle which is a blood choke, it just lists the death as suffocation instead of "died from lack of blood to the brain" or "strangulation" which would suffice I think, even "has been throttled to death" would work.

Yeah, I was focused on the suffocation part.

DF wrestling is very much Eldritch abomination weirdness. It's odd that you have 4 grips available (upper arm, lower arm, both right and left?) when you're standing and holding a shield and weapon. You should actually have no grips, or perhaps be able to just use the weapon to grapple a bit (trip, pull shield down, trap limb).

What's even better is throwing someone with an upper leg grip on your opponent's teeth. Translation: so and so bit your butt and you shook it off. Then they flew.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: June 17, 2016, 07:29:33 pm »

DF wrestling is very much Eldritch abomination weirdness. It's odd that you have 4 grips available (upper arm, lower arm, both right and left?) when you're standing and holding a shield and weapon. You should actually have no grips, or perhaps be able to just use the weapon to grapple a bit (trip, pull shield down, trap limb).

Well, some things like certain joint locks and chokeholds make sense for using your arms and legs. Takedowns and throws maybe, but throwing them by the teeth is always silly.

Also, wing wrasslin'. Giant flies going full hulkamania on you because their only other attacks are pushing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: June 17, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »

Well, some things like certain joint locks and chokeholds make sense for using your arms and legs. Takedowns and throws maybe, but throwing them by the teeth is always silly.
Definitely. I'm not sure how Toady and ThreeToe are interpreting the grips available for two standing opponents. There's really just a total right side or total left side interaction for arms/hands. If you grab me with your right hand, your lower right arm and upper right arm are part of that action. They're not free to do other things. In DF though, an unarmed person seems to have six arms, when in reality they only have two and thus out of all the various ways available to grab and control a person, two choices/grips.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:34 pm »

Granted, it could be simplified to just "left arm, right arm" and such, but eh. Meanwhile, back to my adventure as a bronze colossus. I've made it out of the dark fortress, killing many goblins along the way, and visited a hamlet in the dead of night.

Yay, I saved them from a band of goblin brigands! You know, WHILE braining them all with a demon's corpse.

EDIT: This one fucking human. I've broken her neck, pulped her hands and feet, pulped lower arms/legs, pulped her right upper leg, and she still has yet to pass out. Instead, her response?

"Is this an attack? That was alarming."

Lady has fucking balls of steel.

EDIT 2: "Death is all around us. This cannot horrify me." This human shouldn't even be alive, let alone still putting on the tough-girl act while crawling around with a broken everything.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:54:01 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: June 18, 2016, 12:38:28 am »

As I said before, from the way bodies "lose hold" of clothing, and the way you can grab people with any arbitrary part of a limb regardless of pre-existing holds, a dorf is a vaguely spherical bearded horror with prehensile limbs that are best described as Eldritch, and far too many fingers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: June 18, 2016, 02:25:00 am »

As I said before, from the way bodies "lose hold" of clothing, and the way you can grab people with any arbitrary part of a limb regardless of pre-existing holds, a dorf is a vaguely spherical bearded horror with prehensile limbs that are best described as Eldritch, and far too many fingers.

Urist McBiologist cancels study dwarven anatomy: i̼̖͖̰̜̗͢ǹt͓̰̗̟͓͓e̶̝ͅr͇̠͙͈̪̦r͚̥u͓͇p͔͍t̪̤̝̤͓͙̫́è̥̪̩d̨ ̴͍̥̝͕b̝͕͈̜̤̙ͅy̘̳ ̸̹̙t͎̞̮̱̟͢h̷̻͎̮̻̙̙į̮̙n͎͎̘͚̲̣g͈̭̬̝͔͕s̡̥̹ ͖͇̲̕m͓̺͓͘ą̥n̝̥͈ ̨d̢̝̩͎̖̥̭̠o̪͜r̮̜͚̫̬̻ͅf͍͎̗̯͕̻ ̤̰w͈͝ͅa̵͈̳̩͙͚̰̖s̮͡ ͎ͅń̙̬͍o͉̦͎̗̦͜t̫̰͜ ̷̮͔̼m̢̝̺̥̲͚̱͚e̛͎a̯̮̠n̥͇̝̭̳͎͚t̺̘̠̳̪̠͔ ̱̪̖̗̟͔̻͢ṱ͙͎ͅo̗̖͎̠͍̪ ͎̼̣͖̪͕k̥n̶͕͓͔͈̫̼o͖̤ͅw̠͕.͔̘̰̜
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: June 18, 2016, 02:35:08 am »

If I recall correctly, the game actualy does kinda treat body parts like a series of spheres of varying volumes. So you can literally describe everything in terms of spheres and the imaginary connections between them. Like Ray Man.

In actual adventurer news, I've unretired Kem Wildhails the Balanced Deeps and went on another killing spree. The companions that got lost last time were with me immediately, and we embarked on a quest to kill an echidna (as in the mythical half-serpent monster, not the real animal.) and succeeded spectacularly. Then I went even further south, built a little camp in the woods where my companions could wait for me, and crossed a mountain range to reach a dragon's lair in a secluded glacier.

Along the way I bumped into a flock of peregrine falcon men and recruited a couple. I noticed their pathing AI loses its little mind from time to time when they're up in the air. They stop following you and just sit there. All three of them made it to the glacier with me and to the lair. I had them wait outside, since they'd just be a liability. Actually killing the dragon took two hits to the skull; one to knock it out and another to finish it. However, after knocking it unconscious i did nab some blood to drink, being a vampire and all.

Turns out it was female, and had a pair of eggs sitting in the lair. Grabbed those too. The trip back across the mountains was uneventful, but I picked up the rest of the peregrine falcon men, lost one of them to the getting stuck bug and couldn't find him, and found some mountain goat men. The mountain goat men couldn't keep up. Like, they were travelling slower than my crawling  speed while standing up. Made it to the foothills and crossed the tundra back to the little camp and picked up my other companions. I abandoned all the animal men there, including the three raven women that had been with me since before I retired, and made one of them lady of the camp. Then, me, the dwarf, and the vutchnell headed north. One of the raven women managed to outpace us somehow and we encountered her while crossing the river. I tried to chat with her again with no luck; she would say nothing. I guess I really hurt her feelings or something? or the AI derped.

Sibrek and Lhakos' AI's definitely derped, as when I turned to leave the still-silent Kuuli behind, they brutally murdered her without provocation! Really no clue why they would do such a thing, they had been perfectly good friends while they were all my companions, they all spent time with me retired in the hamlet, and she didn't aggro them as far as I'm aware. They just attacked and killed her.

We left, then, and killed a troll and a nosferatu in route, both named killers, and met a goblin mercenary bowwoman named Ona, who joined us. The four of us attacked a bronze colossus, Sibrek getting the kill with her steel short sword while I effectively just chipped away at it with a silver warhammer.

I've noticed Sibrek and Lhakos are going after every. single. wild animal in their sights, now. All of them. Blood for Armok, I guess. Sibrek got torn up when she went after a giant cougar, but survived.
Had to stop a couple times to drink blood from wildlife, and once came upon a kestrel woman. Strangled her and took a drink, and completely drained her of blood. Still thirsty, went after a wombat, drained that of blood. Finally found a kangaroo buck, chased it down and drank its blood, and it survived. So that's two more kills in the name of vampirism just because it's never enough blood.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:56:09 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: June 18, 2016, 05:15:17 am »

So I built the site, got the track grinder set up, gathered some cool folks and moved them in.

By setting generic zones I was able to give them their own bedrooms and since I passed the lady position to one of them and they're all hearthpeople they moved in and hang out chitchatting.

Unfortunately a couple of them like to hang out just outside the cart track so I blocked it off where I can drop the outer bridges and get full access or drop the inner bridge and they can head down to the tavern/hall/library or just visit each other, but the statues keep them from playing on the track.

It took a giant polar bear to stop a dragon bone cart weighing something like 450 urists so I said fuck it and dfhacked it into slade, then dropped another into the rotation.

This is a long wait per frame, and they weigh 8000~ urists each, I added fortifications to the corner walls so they automatically eject bodies instead of them piling up and annoying me.

Welcome to Battlesong 3: The Cartinating!
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1104