Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102105 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #11655 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:10 am »

Ugh, no way would I want to fight one of my fully buffed adventurers, only thing more broken would be if I used some of the stuff from Sparking! and wore armor instead of charging in with nothing on but a beard and gore.

I was trying to track down a dragon during a world purge of beasts and they kept moving so I dfhacked them into being retired adventurers, retired myself, and went to say hi to them.

Mind you this is as a flying steelboned intelligent dragon.

They zoomed up before I could move more than three tiles into the room, and they hit me another three or four times after the screenshot there but before I actually died.

I'd say a cap or maybe a "Professional" and "Unlimited" league distinction would be good, it would be neat to see two godpunching speedcapped flying ultramegabeast level combatants duke it out, but it wouldn't be as fun if it was just them up against more mortal foes.

As for a name I'd suggest ágdasël, "Overheaven" seems close enough to Outer Heaven to me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:50:04 am by Max™ »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: April 09, 2016, 04:41:15 am »

I'm pondering a clever thought. Namely whether it's possible to mod in a civilized race that uses the night troll spouse conversion effects, and whether it'll work to make a friendly/neutral entity that occasionally kidnaps visitors to make them become one of them. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: April 09, 2016, 07:06:02 am »

It's fine, I myself only really play as demigod or hero adventurers, just to give a bit of that edge at the start - I have some modded super-races, but I rarely play as them - ie. the vrykul, which are half the size of giants, titans, which can throw fireballs and shoot very dense stone that can knock people back if it hits them in the upper/lower body or the head, and especially the "spiderlord" caste for the nerubians and "starspawn" and "c'thraxx" castes for the faceless ones, all 3 of which are pretty much semi/megabeasts - starspawn especially since they innately know some psychic abilities like binding limbs, crushing lungs, or casting a slowing spell, and can also drive sentients crazy with maddening whispers - all that on top of being only slightly smaller than dragons at adult age and having rather high innate combat skills, things I really have to change.

They all seem quite awesome in their own way! :o And yeah, anti-climatic deaths suck, like when I made that elven demigod lass and she followed around my drogoth female only to somehow get into the flowing river with her and fall to her death once my drogoth adventurer fell down the waterfall with no damage and the elf got splattered against the water/ground somewhere. The elf could fight dragons and demons and whatnot with proper equipment due to her max stats and skills and what killed her? A mundane fall from the cliff. *facepalm* Eh, at least it was just one simulation test scenario.. back when I tried ways to get the elf to teach my main outsider adventurer dance forms.

Funny how the last readable line is this: "The muscular dorf Elite Wrestler legendary hero punches you in the [MORE]" ..uhh, do we even wanna know [MORE] where she punched you?

EDIT: Just got (or just read really) a PM from Laczkers, someone who had an account here but got banned for making a thread about finding some adult ascii game in his/her computer and the thread got out of hand a tad it seems (I myself made one reasonable post there IMO asking why violence in games is okay and sex in games is not). Anyway the point is he/she wants to let folks here in this particular part of the forum know that he/she is back by the name of Laczkers. Apart from that, I'm just the messenger. Not sure what more is going on, if at all. I'm confused. :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:47:27 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: April 09, 2016, 07:35:16 am »

Ugh, no way would I want to fight one of my fully buffed adventurers, only thing more broken would be if I used some of the stuff from Sparking! and wore armor instead of charging in with nothing on but a beard and gore.

I was trying to track down a dragon during a world purge of beasts and they kept moving so I dfhacked them into being retired adventurers, retired myself, and went to say hi to them.

They zoomed up before I could move more than three tiles into the room, and they hit me another three or four times after the screenshot there but before I actually died.

I'd say a cap or maybe a "Professional" and "Unlimited" league distinction would be good, it would be neat to see two godpunching speedcapped flying ultramegabeast level combatants duke it out, but it wouldn't be as fun if it was just them up against more mortal foes.

As for a name I'd suggest ágdasël, "Overheaven" seems close enough to Outer Heaven to me.
ehh level caps seems more arena at best. also wanted to do this in Fort mode with the idea of 2 giants of adventuring world fight off in a ring then get unleashed upon the what would be Strong militarized fort that may or maynot fall to chaos loaded with crossbows and other weaponry and past adventurers stored there. Like the idea fit for adventure mode arena was if the motto is losing is fun now personal then odds should be Stack against you constantly also the fight and fort wide brawl would be on a separate disposable save and if the winner of the first match beats the fort wide battle royal they probably get a wing dedicated to them in the main save with statues/figures carved of them beating the fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11659 on: April 09, 2016, 12:44:03 pm »

They all seem quite awesome in their own way! :o And yeah, anti-climatic deaths suck, like when I made that elven demigod lass and she followed around my drogoth female only to somehow get into the flowing river with her and fall to her death once my drogoth adventurer fell down the waterfall with no damage and the elf got splattered against the water/ground somewhere. The elf could fight dragons and demons and whatnot with proper equipment due to her max stats and skills and what killed her? A mundane fall from the cliff. *facepalm* Eh, at least it was just one simulation test scenario.. back when I tried ways to get the elf to teach my main outsider adventurer dance forms.
Yeah, as a way to slightly balance it to be a bit more "fair" most races now have either a Battle Fury or Berserker Rage temporary self-buff - more primitive races, i.e orcs, ogres or the various types of trolls have the latter, which increases Strength+Agility, whereas the more "civilized" ones like humans, dwarves, nerubians (though they also can web people so they already have a big advantage over most other races - they have a much longer cooldown for it than the GCS and web-sprayer titans, though) and naga have Battle Fury which is Strength+Toughness - both also make NPCs fearless and also provide better combat rolls (and make the user more prone to rage). Osh-tekk also have their own version which combines both into a single more powerful buff, but they also bleed from the upper body after using it.

Still it probably doesn't help much since all the castes I mentioned have strong fire-immune carapaces (bronze-level for spiderlords, iron level for c'thraxx and starspawn). In normal fair combat it helps, though, and also makes taking on towns quite a lot more !!!fun!!! since everyone goes berserk when you start a fight and fights without running away.

Anyway, uhh, when I was playing my drakonar adventurer I was ambushed in a snowy forest...at first I wondered where the hell the enemy is.

Then they started dropping out of the sky. Literally.

Nearly each of them was crippled by this in one way or another and went unconscious immediately...some were also holding books too for some reason - I killed the stragglers and the few who didn't spawn in the air with my raven's beak (a hammer, not a body part), unfortunately I didn't find the books some of them were carrying. I'll investigate later, still...just wtf.

EDIT: Well I'm disappointed and somewhat sad.

I went around my local area, killing several titans and semi/megabeasts, including 2 chimeras, an abomination, a griffin and a medusa - when I got to the medusa's labyrinth, I took her eggs after I found them in a small room at the lowermost level.

Unfortunately, one of my companions became a statue of forgotten beasts during the fight - I sold it later to an ogre bard at a tavern.

I forgot to sell the medusa eggs, though - on request of my scalebane captain, I went to a nearby pyromancers tower and managed to recover a book there that taught me the secrets of pyromancy. Unfortunately due to all the raised firemen throwing fireballs and spraying jets of fire, the eggs I was carrying around melted and became mere fat. I still gave the fat away to some armorer but...ehh, I still feel stupid for not selling them earlier. Those were 2 little beautiful snek babies, dammit, and I neglected them.

Oh well, I gave the book away to some random ranger, whenever I decide to make a fort, maybe he'll migrate sooner or later and share the book.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:46:47 pm by ZM5 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: April 09, 2016, 07:40:28 pm »

ehh level caps seems more arena at best. also wanted to do this in Fort mode with the idea of 2 giants of adventuring world fight off in a ring then get unleashed upon the what would be Strong militarized fort that may or maynot fall to chaos loaded with crossbows and other weaponry and past adventurers stored there. Like the idea fit for adventure mode arena was if the motto is losing is fun now personal then odds should be Stack against you constantly also the fight and fort wide brawl would be on a separate disposable save and if the winner of the first match beats the fort wide battle royal they probably get a wing dedicated to them in the main save with statues/figures carved of them beating the fort.
Yeah, I still think it would be more interesting if it had a couple of classes rather than it turning into an arms race of "which slade boned candy skinned monstrosity has the most broken combination of stats and attacks" while they stomp around in the mushy goop left over from perfectly capable adventurers that didn't get modbuffed into monsterland.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: April 09, 2016, 08:08:20 pm »

For a while there was a modded creature fight challenge. I think the final winner was a timelord, a creature that had a bunch of ridiculous interactions that "stopped time" and suchlike.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11662 on: April 10, 2016, 02:03:34 am »

Heres my world (create with advanced params, I have a ton of titans and mega beasts packed in..I had to generate many times to have them not kill off the civs entirely)

I have taken to playing as cowardly bards recently who are very greedy. I don't know why I like it so much? (i try to be like rinsewind from discworld)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:10:24 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:41 am »

I finally killed that lizard demon/black brute, only knowing it by the name of Spen (gigantic lizard with external ribs, squirms and fidgets, black scales round and overlapping and a poisonous sting. It was associated with misery) and after it refused to yield and stop attacking me I named it 'Coward Spen' and its profession 'Shit-Master' and then eventually after damaging it I jammed its skull through its brain with my minothar-sized mastercraft platinum whip.

Why call that demon a coward? Because it was the only wuss in the large slade room besides a goblin lady there who I talked with a bit and when found her to be like those fucking peons back in the human village I gruesomely offed her unarmed with final blow being Dhrona ripping the goblins head off with teeth. The demon had the tenacity to call Dhorna a coward.. what an insult because there she is in front of that clown with only a magical invisible backpack on her back, a greatsword and a whip in her hands and with murder in her eyes and grin on her mouth.

Read the legends and Zemri was the deity who released/helped that thing so I guess next stop: slaughter the humies in the Golden Kingdoms but before that I gotta take a break.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:08:15 am by Droggarth »

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: April 10, 2016, 05:40:43 pm »

Making an adventurer, looking through the spawn scenarios, I was trying to find a god I like...

"The Witch of Seduction", god of lies.
"Saro", fire imp deity of chaos, fire, and destruction.
"Arani", the goddess of Suicide.
Is the game telling me something?

"Lati Bakedclan the Ships of Raining", goddess of plants, animals, the rain and family.
What? You some kind of elf?
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: April 10, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »

"Lati Bakedclan the Ships of Raining", goddess of plants, animals, the rain and family.

Hmm, incoherent name. Lemme try making sense of it: So at some point in time this 'Lati' baked a clan or her clan got baked into something what I wonder and I wonder what clan? Either ship or rain clan? And then at some point got a the title 'The Ships of Raining' so she has ships that can rain.. rain what I wonder? Plants? Animals? Rain or Family? Or all of them? Which proabably is the case.

Could be a metaphorical name too and in that case.. *ERROR! CPU MALFUNCTION... REBOOT: (Y/N)*

Heh, sometimes it's just entertaining trying to make these random-arse names somewhat coherent for the hilarity factor. Anyhow:

In my own adventure I've decide (planned really) that before heading back to Dhorna's favorite civs (The Empires of Soaring and my Helmsdeep dwarven/minothar fort-shack) to tell that the nearby demon terror has been dealt with, I figured that I'd kill as many trolls and goblins as possible and then tell about the good news and head east where some night ogress is said to be as I've never fought that one either. The dead scholar's skeletal remains in Dhorna's backpack can wait a few ingame days before getting to the scholar's husband, granted the guy doesn't drop dead somehow in the meanwhile. Save-scumming to do most of the evil things to npcs is healthy if I still want to have this fantasy role-play thing going which I do.

EDIT: Yup, killed dozens of the trolls, goblins and beak dogs more and went to the village to tell of the demon's demise, found my other minothar there (perhaps I can finally retire him to the proper place now). While killing those foes I forgot that the whip's quick attack is more effective than the heavy one and I also had to ignite the grass around Dhorna so she could drink all the frozen blood off of her and equip all of the silk and admantine gear.
However I'm beginning to question if this too works in reverse as game seems to think the skin on minothar is a hide:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Nevermind, seems that is not the case with them however did have to change a few things around to make my creature feel more alive:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems more like a superior take on the default values now, had to give hooves and horns their own thing too because for some reason in the arena without HOOF having that line of code the giants were able to somehow punch my hooves off all the time but not with hooves having the same values as bones. :o That or I messed something up with something as I forgot to add adjustments to cartilage and bones (overlooked a few things) before the arena test as I added the hoof and horn strengths along with the overlooked areas aka fixes. So, yeah, after that I checked how the battle with the demon Spen went now: Only two bruised arms (hide should be skin) due to using dodge and no shield as my greatsword was able to hack of it's feet and hands and platinum whipped the rest. Also the extra horn and hoof density didn't slow minothar's sprinting speed, only added a bit of weight so, I think I don't need to regen the world.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:28:42 pm by Droggarth »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:39 am »

Making an adventurer, looking through the spawn scenarios, I was trying to find a god I like...

Out of those choices, I'd pick plant goddess.

==============================================

Mafol has spent the last few days gathering hearthpeople and soldiers. That sounds like a lot of people but he's capped it at 4 soldiers and two poets. The time is mostly travel, and not everyone looks good. Along the way some bandits were routed and some barrels were gathered from another ruined town. Once the orchards bear fruit Mafol will brew some liquor for the throne room and the tavern.

Random highwaymen/women have also been cut down because they often either can't be reasoned with or because Mafol's cohorts are a bloodthirsty group. He's biding his time and at some point will hand off the keys to the kingdom.

But there's always something to hold you over. One of his companions has told him about a dragon. Last run for Bim, fire users would be shot at range as he was an archer. Mafol, never really had any direction other than he'd begin as an axedwarf cavern crawler with no dedicated weapon. He hasn't gone out of his way to play archer and seems to wish to throw coins at people when given the chance. Mostly though, he's melee'd his way. So this run, fire users will be stabbed. Maybe later when the delay for throwing drops (at novice thrower you'll get attacked around three times for your trouble) he'll coin monsters to death.

The normal prep for fire: walk into a body of water to get wet, which I forgot to have him do with the fireball FB; have many cloaks (instead of crafting, these were all goblin-made); no alcohol, just bags of water. Now this seems odd as dragons are glass cannons who have the situational awareness of dried beans. While not as exciting as Max's dragons, the vanilla dragon can be somewhat encouraged to play along with the script. In the lair Mafol throws a few coins to escalate the level of conflict. Combat preferences are set to strike, dodge to stand ground, charge to stand ground. Random behavior from auto defense shouldn't matter much with his current defensive stats (shield at expert, dodge at proficient, fighter at legendary). But generally it's just greasing the groove in the RPG sense. Follow all the right steps even when you don't need to, just to do it, just to further engrain it.

Dragon breathes fire. Fire is blocked. Rinse and repeat. Mafol tried to work in some wrestling with a grab at dragon's teeth before stabbing the head with his copper spear. When something is a damage sponge, you can get more work in for your character, but when something is a glass cannon there isn't much you can do without feeling exploitive.

Once it's butchered it leaves only 92 meat. For a brief moment it's wished cooking reactions worked. Then that feeling subsides.

Kamsko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:40 am »

As the peasant Sothro Atupkamde I started to wander immediately to my retired fortress far in the north. In this Dimension of Hurricanes there are goblins who inhabit the equator. Only a single Dwarf and elf civ live in a strained peace in the north east. The fort was born of that area and was made to be one of many outposts to start a colony on the north west ranges. The only remaining pure humans are south and dominated by dwarven law. It is a clustered large peninsula of Dwarf, Human, and elves mostly living together but there are squabbles, as I will get to soon.

The adventure starts wandering as I've said. Every night so far we have been attacked by some wild animal pack or another, once even a giant fucking lion. Each time was a struggle for life. A pack of dingos knocked out my team and I was forced to fight off one at a time while the rest chewed on bronze helms. No one died, but it left me in a very rough spot.

Later, in the last city in the southern realms I stopped by the market. Suddenly a fist fight breaks out. I think a few merchants had a disagreement about the local lord. Later investigation revealed the city was under an insurrection, at least 13 groups were in contest for the city, no telling how many were being active about it. So the fist fight is going pretty dull, missing hits and slight bruising of skin. Then another merchant joins and starts wrestling. Then another stars throwing punches. Pretty soon an entire block of merchants are beating the shit out of each other and the town guard soon steps in. Only the town guard isn't on non lethal. They just wade into the fray and then blood and body parts just start flying in every direction. No one lived that day, even the town guard are dead inside. To this day my adventurers express fear and sorrow of seeing that horror.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:45:43 am by Kamsko »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11668 on: April 11, 2016, 04:22:59 am »

What? Clearly the fire imp deity of fire, chaos and destruction is superior.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11669 on: April 11, 2016, 05:26:27 am »

What? Clearly the fire imp deity of fire, chaos and destruction is superior.

I would most definetly pick the fire imp.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1104