Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2054176 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #11640 on: April 07, 2016, 07:10:24 pm »

Unlike Clinchwilt where the temples were in raised but accessible, here the temple is just salted ground.
I find it strange...is it a glitch that temples in ruined towns are just a rectangle-shaped patches of sand or another earth material?
I'm guessing it is, since if you take it over, retire, and come back, the temple is back in perfect shape; still, why would this even happen in the first place?

I miswrote. The Mucous Shrine in Clinchwilt was razed by the rulers. It was walled off but could be explored. The Gnarled Church was in good condition but empty. It was not razed. The Dead Monastery in Wavesides was razed by the rulers. This was the patch of sand. After Mafol reclaimed the town, the patch of sand upgraded to a temple that could be explored, but the walls were heavily damaged. Razing seems to have different results.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: April 07, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »

I haven't seen anything get razed lately except when an elven civ razed a kobold cave. Seem like nowadays most nations just like to pillage or conquer.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11642 on: April 08, 2016, 12:17:25 am »

SO a lone undead alligator man just attacked the tavern while I was composing a ribald poem. (I got the "Ambush!" ) message aswell.

Is it just me or are taverns a hotbed for beasts?

Now hes going on a rampage

I wont fight it I specifically made my characters personality cowardly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:20:39 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11643 on: April 08, 2016, 07:04:26 am »

So, right now, I'm kind of in a weird bind. I started off as a geist swordsman, Queti Toolbastions, in an osh-tekk hillocks, wielding, luckily enough, a steel war sickle (I'm not sure what skill type I should give sickles, tbh - I have one that uses the axe skill and the war sickle uses the sword skill).

I recruited two drunks, Ceteti Stancewhips and Acotzatl Leopardanvil, though I left Ceteti soon afterwards when I reached a jungle troll hamlet, Foggydearth. I recruited Janikk Deepromanced there, a jungle troll lasher, and I also found some equipment for Acotzatl - an iron 2-hander and a shield.

We killed off a few centaur bandits harassing the local hamlets, then went after their leader, Agraras Mischiefpolish, who was residing in Pricetruth, a campsite.

The ensuing battle was fairly difficult, considering how naturally skilled in combat centaurs are, regardless we still came out on top and killed every member of this group. Acotzatl ran off during the battle, though, and Janikk was badly hurt - his foot had been cut off.

We returned to Foggydearth, where I left Janikk since he wasn't really in a good shape anymore, and in his and Acotzatl's place I recruited Jazanelikhe Strokedgrasp, a jungle troll pikewoman, and Varak Lushwaned, a jungle troll pikeman. When I waited the night over at the hamlet, Acotzatl somehow showed up, though she was missing the sword and shield I gave her - didn't matter too much since I had two other armed companions anyway.

In any case, I tried to get recruited as a headhunter in one of the jungle troll towns. Two rejected me as there was no place anymore, but a centaur blood guard in the hamlet of Bowcobra, Hagren Orbthunder, still had one spot left for me.

His first order was to kill a giant, Ruul Standspecial the Large Adventure, residing to the west of Bowcobra. Simple enough - the fight against the giant was fairly anti-climactic, as he passed out from a few slashes of my war sickle and got his brain torn when Varak drove his pike into the giant's skull.

I asked for another order - this time, it was to kill a griffon, Araca Yellowprophet the Bewildering Spurn. Unfortunately, the beast was hiding out in a cave and not a lair.

We paid a visit to Pricetruth, since the griffon's cave wasn't too far off from the camp. There I got a steel battle axe and copper shield as a replacement for Acotzatl's lost equipment.

Once we got to the cave itself, Skirtscracked the Saturnine Shadow, the griffon was nowhere to be seen. Not on the topmost level, and it wasn't hiding out underground, either.

Here's where things got a tad...interesting, going back to the bind I'm in currently. We headed down into the lowest caverns again, not too far off so as to not get lost, and got attacked by several plaguebearers.

The undead grabbed onto Jazanelikhe, biting and scratching her, until she bled to death. They then turned their attention to Varak and Acotzatl, vomiting up their plague ichor and releasing the gas from their pustules, both of which managed to hit my companions. The plaguebearers still died but the damage had already been done.

We went back up, and were ambushed by a local tribe of pygmies. I noticed however, that both of my companions started to attack me, each other and the pygmies. They also weren't talking anymore - several of their body parts were already rotten - they had turned into zombies.

Right now, I'm considering wheter I should run off or stay and put both of them out of their misery - considering that they've been zombified, they're also a lot tougher than they were, and I'd rather not die now.

EDIT: Cont.

They both slaughtered the entire tribe of pygmies before turning on each other - oddly enough, it wasn't the trained pikeman who won, but instead Acotzatl cleaved through Varak's head, despite having practically no prior experience in wielding an axe.

Of course, it was probably stupid to stay, since now I had one pissed-off osh-tekk zombie chasing after me with an axe.

I admit that in the ensuing duel I save-scummed a bit, since I wanted to retire my geist peacefully instead of dying. Regardless though, that was a really intense fight - after a series of rather disappointing fights with other sentients and especially the giant who took 2 hits before passing out, this was awesome.

I managed to take her down by cutting off her hands and one of her feet - aside from preventing attacks with the axe or shield, it also was enough to simply cause Acotzatl to bleed out. Every other attack was either deflected by her clothing, or it missed or was blocked/parried - basically it was a battle of "who can get the first major injury in".

I would have burned their bodies, but it was raining, so unfortunately I couldn't set fire to them. I slept in the cave waiting for dawn as I was alone, then went back to Bowcobra, taking rest in the giant's now-empty lair so as to avoid the night again. I simply retired once I got there, as I thought that was enough for my little geist.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:18:18 am by ZM5 »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: April 08, 2016, 01:09:49 pm »

I've never battled with a zombie or a necromancer because I've never found one yet and since the beings I've played as never age so they are free from mortal concerns.
Just the way I like it though and If I'm gonna be a necromancer I'd rather be the one able to fully restore and regenerate a dead being before it died and had injuries.

Yeah I know such a thing needs extra coding and raws and whatnot plus a a few dialogs about once dead npc reacting "Where am I? How am I alive? Am in Valhalla?".

Anyhow, I'm thinking I won't be reverting my save just so those two irritating npcs would be alive again. What happened, happened. It was about time those buffoons realize that you don't mess with or say no to a minothar, especially when the minothar in question tries to bring peaceful existence to the world and that can't come to exist if some idiot peons blither about war and just won't change their minds, ever.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11645 on: April 08, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »

Necromancers and zombies aren't really that hard to find, tbh, considering that right now each world generates 20s of the same "necromancer" interaction - AFAIK between vampire interactions there is some difference in terms of how large the attribute bonus you get, and obviously with werebeasts there are differences, but necromancer interactions seem to be basically the same.

Plaguebearers, though, are just really badly mutated undead monsters (partially based on plague eruptors from WoW but mostly on the abominations from Darksiders 2 - don't have a clear picture of them, though) you can find in caverns underground and in evil biomes - they spew a zombifying gas that has a chance of inflicting the whole or just a part of the regular "zombie" syndrome. So if you're lucky, you can only get the attribute buffs without any other downsides, if you're not you get everything that makes zombies, well, zombies - though to be fair they're more like the zombies of the previous version since they don't get hit as easily. I wouldn't have gotten affected by it anyway since geists are undead too and they don't get affected by any syndrome.

In any case, right now I'm a fel orc blademaster named Jubei'thos, though I actually spawned from a tarkatan civilization.
I fended off a few vrykul bandits harassing my home village along with a pikeman and spearman from a nearby village (they both died, though) - for whatever reason they were surprisingly cowardly even though they could probably scratch off my limbs, due to their size alone. Even more strangely, their leader, Nako Cyclonemaligned, is a goblin, even smaller than a fel orc.

In any case, after that was done, my enforcer commended me on my work and sent me on a mission to the nearby town of Gildslaughter, in order to kill the high sport-turned-unending gluttony, Okur Fortunepage. I immediately came through one of the towns taverns there, where I recruited Sugur Famousquake, a tarkatan crossbowman.

I didn't initially know Okur was the high priest of the local religious group, so I went to the keep with the assumption he was the mayor of the town, as I found was usually the case. I only learned from the mayor herself that he was at the Hardy Temple. There in the keep I also recruited Sulanur Floordove, a tarkatan swordsman.

At that point, night was falling - it didn't deter me, I wanted to find the temple as soon as possible. Two problems arose, though. One, the town was damn big, so finding the temple itself was already difficult, second problem was that during the night, several blips popped up in the town itself - one came across me as soon as I came out of the keep.

I got sent back and noticed something coming out of the general imports shop nearby. It turned out to be a cave brute, looking for some flesh to eat, apparently (these are what they're supposed to be, couldn't name them "ogres" though, due to confusion with other creatures). I managed to dispatch it relatively easy, although my scimitar was rather puny and unable to cleave limbs, so it had to bleed to death.

The merchant at the general imports store wasn't asleep yet, for some reason, so I checked his wares - turned out he had an iron sabre and an iron katana. I butchered the body of the cave brute and handed each of it's pieces to the merchant, although it wasn't enough. I unfortunately had to trade in my scimitar, shield, harpoons that I got from one of the vrykul bandits back in my home village, the default copper dagger along with all the cave brute body parts to just get the katana. No matter, I thought, I could just easily make a bone+leather shield.

Still during the night, I came across another cave brute and tested out my katana on it - a much-needed upgrade. At that point I went to sleep and in the morning found some pet dingos in a part of the town - I killed one of them by decapitating it, and used it's hide and bones to make a shield - also crafted a cloak, waterskin and face veil for myself.

Another blip came across us - a cave alligator this time. Even easier than the brutes, it went down in 2 slashes.

After some time, I found the Hardy Temple, where I initially didn't see Okur - there was a fel orc tavern keeper present, for some reason. As soon as I got near, Okur dropped down from the topmost level and went after the tavern keeper. They fought for a little while, the fel orc beating at the belarded beast ineffectively with his little fists. Eventually Okur seemingly lost his balance and dodged backwards into the pit in the middle of the temple - not sure what injuries the fall caused, although his ribs were seemingly mangled afterwards. Me and Sugur headed downwards, in order to finish off Okur.

Sugur got way too close to the demonic creature, and promptly paid for it - his entire right arm was torn off by the beasts maw, and then his left arm was bent, collapsing the elbow. At that point he went unconscious from the pain, leaving me to take care of Okur - Sulanur hadn't joined us in the fight for whatever reason.

I was way too agile for the oaf to hit, although my katana kept getting stuck inside it's body. A slash to the leg chipped the bone and caused the bastard to fall over - he was still focused on making sure Sugur was dead, though, biting through his foot and severing the nerves, as well as opening several arteries in his head.

Eventually, a well-placed slash at the creature's head decapitated it, ending the fight. The tavern keeper and Sugur are both still alive, although I let Sugur go because he clearly isn't any good for adventuring with anymore. I handed him his shredder back and we parted ways.

Next up, I'm gonna head to the camp where the vrykul bandits had their base, called Banepoisons - after all, I gotta show them who the biggest guy of them all is. Will take a slight break for now, though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:38:38 pm by ZM5 »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »

My Birdo adventurer just ripped three bogeyman heads off of their owners
unfortunately he became a shadow husk
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11647 on: April 08, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »

Killing bogeys? That's pretty hardcore, even as a giant slayer I wouldn't dare fight bogeys - screw them.

Continuing from where I left off, I was made aware of an ettin's lair nearby, so I figured I'd kill it before I went to Banepoisons. As a replacement for Sugur I recruited a tarkatan maceman, Tagagur Wanehandles.

As usual, the ettin was crippled fairly easily - katana stabs to the necks severed it's nervous tissue - however, it still fought on with bites. Somehow, the ettin bit Sulanur in the eye and shook him, knocking him out immediately from the pain. The ettin still bled to death after a while so it was ultimately no advantage. What was rather weird and more than slightly creepy is that while I was waiting for Sulanur to get up again, I heard a meat golem groaning and choking nearby - no clue why, since it clearly wasn't aboveground and otherwise they only should appear in evil biomes - not the first time I heard their sounds in a location where they're not supposed to appear, for some reason.

Afterwards I arrived at Banepoisons. I managed to kill two vrykul axemen who immediately rushed us - Sulanur ran off, yet again.

I would have executed him afterwards for showing cowardice in critical situations twice now, but unfortunately the master, Nako Cyclonemaligned, proved to be a skilled swordsman just like myself. He managed to sever nerves in one of my legs, making me unable to stand - during this time, Tagagur got both of his legs severed by the goblins vrykul bodyguard and bled to death - before I managed to cause any significant damage to either Nako or his bodyguard, the vrykul chopped my head off with his bearded axe.

I'm gonna make another fel orc from the same civ to take revenge for Jubei, gonna see if it'll end in colossal failure as well.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: April 08, 2016, 06:30:44 pm »

Killing bogeys? That's pretty hardcore, even as a giant slayer I wouldn't dare fight bogeys - screw them.

Did bogeymen get buffed? I remember they used to be good practice for learning to fight, since they spawned nearly indefinitely and couldn't hurt you once you had armor. Lately though I've had trouble hitting them with my attacks, even if I could dodge theirs.

I had one attack where bogeymen followed me into the Civic mound of a nearby hillocks, and they killed some poor peasant right there for everyone to see before I could kill it.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11649 on: April 08, 2016, 06:36:21 pm »

I think they were always like this - even in 40.xx I had instances where I got gored in the head through an iron helmet and had my head outright collapse or just jam the skull through the brain.

I'm not sure exactly why its like this - I don't know if they have innate high dodger skill and agility, which would explain why they're so damn difficult to hit, but I do know that they're really small - even smaller than dwarven children, AFAIK.

That would explain why they can pierce through breastplates and helmets - since they're small, their attacks have a really small contact area too, similar to hammers and a few other blunt weapons, which makes them good at dealing damage even through armor.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: April 08, 2016, 07:37:03 pm »

Based on a quick perusal of a few uncompressed saves, night trolls have a natural skill level of six, while bogeymen have a level of nine. Also, I stand slightly corrected. The lowest-level angels have a natural skill-level of four, something that no other random-creatures have. So, at least one tier of angel can be modded without changing anything else.

So bogey's have professional level dodge. While you don't need stat parity for your weapon skill, you do want it defensively, just to be safe. As this shielding thread suggests, defense is only as good as its chance of failure. The gambler might say you can be two level down defensively, but the rate of failure will be much higher.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: April 08, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »

man thinking about setting up an adventure mode Duels but I know my pc can't handle community size games so
might be able to turn this into a wrestling event.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: April 08, 2016, 08:27:55 pm »

I think they were always like this - even in 40.xx I had instances where I got gored in the head through an iron helmet and had my head outright collapse or just jam the skull through the brain.

I'm thinking all the way back 34.xx. It probably had something to do with the combat update.

So bogey's have professional level dodge. While you don't need stat parity for your weapon skill, you do want it defensively, just to be safe. As this shielding thread suggests, defense is only as good as its chance of failure. The gambler might say you can be two level down defensively, but the rate of failure will be much higher.

That's pretty rough. I had to get dogpiled by a tower full of zombies to get my weapon stat that high. Obviously not a reliable training method. It seems avoiding them really is the best solution, though it seems odd that they would be stronger than night trolls and even HFS.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: April 09, 2016, 12:35:40 am »

IIRC my one of my first dingo man or maybe dingoth got killed by bogeys. I scrapped dingoth and replaced added drogoth (hairless demonic/mutant enlarged lynx) instead, then later added kobolths (demonic enlarged kobolds) and then a minothar (hairless demonic/mutant minotaur, currently smaller from regular minotaurs). So, I've been taking down bogeys since proper drogoths. I do agree that they are quite nimble and takes a few tries to off some bogey's head sometimes.

I'm sorry if readers of my shenanigans/adventures find it boring. Personally I honestly just can't deal with seeing that deceased screen of my adventurer and just accept it as I just can't, when I played as a kobolth that damn demon/clown killed him many times and I did not enjoy it one bit especially when 60-80% of it was dodging or blocking or running away to gain some momentary distance and damaging it did almost fuck all. I grew so frustrated and so hell-bent on killing that thing until I finally struck it's head jamming it's skull into it's brain with artifact platinum whip and a lot of save-scumming was involved to kill it.

For my own mental health and sanity I must play as an OP creature able to deal with any foe and not get damaged and even if the creature gets damaged the damage should heal fast because once I see that deceased screen I instantly get irritated and pissed off and sometimes way too much and it has been the case in all games with me. I just hate losing and I'm not competitive. Losing in games has always been the most unfun experience for me personally, if I keep losing way too much I just rage quit and tend to take out my rage and hate out in real life.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:38:47 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11654 on: April 09, 2016, 01:23:48 am »

man thinking about setting up an adventure mode Duels but I know my pc can't handle community size games so
might be able to turn this into a wrestling event.
To be fair, wouldn't it only require a (relatively) small amount of building?

You could really just dig a circular hole in the ground (or even make one underground), perhaps put some chairs on the 4 or so levels above it as a place for the spectators and some tunnels on the lowest level where the contestants come from, then it'd be pretty much done.

Also should we wait for 42.07 with that? We could just make it an adventurer site (though fort mode would probably offer more flexibility and a stone material which would be more logical for an arena).

I myself was thinking of trying to get some other modders on board myself with a community game, once 42.07 came out, which I guess would somewhat be like a modded museum game - building an adventurer site somewhere in the northern/southern glacier biomes, finding the closest name synonymous with "Outer Heaven" ("heaven" is a word in-game but "outer" isn't and I forget if there's one that's similar in meaning) and having some type of requirements for joining the group there, i.e 5 hearts of cave brutes, the skull of a giant, or the head of a medusa. Dunno where we'd go from there, there'd have to be something once there were enough people at the "camp".
I'm sorry if readers of my shenanigans/adventures find it boring. Personally I honestly just can't deal with seeing that deceased screen of my adventurer and just accept it as I just can't, when I played as a kobolth that damn demon/clown killed him many times and I did not enjoy it one bit especially when 60-80% of it was dodging or blocking or running away to gain some momentary distance and damaging it did almost fuck all. I grew so frustrated and so hell-bent on killing that thing until I finally struck it's head jamming it's skull into it's brain with artifact platinum whip and a lot of save-scumming was involved to kill it.
It's fine, I myself only really play as demigod or hero adventurers, just to give a bit of that edge at the start - I have some modded super-races, but I rarely play as them - ie. the vrykul, which are half the size of giants, titans, which can throw fireballs and shoot very dense stone that can knock people back if it hits them in the upper/lower body or the head, and especially the "spiderlord" caste for the nerubians and "starspawn" and "c'thraxx" castes for the faceless ones, all 3 of which are pretty much semi/megabeasts - starspawn especially since they innately know some psychic abilities like binding limbs, crushing lungs, or casting a slowing spell, and can also drive sentients crazy with maddening whispers - all that on top of being only slightly smaller than dragons at adult age and having rather high innate combat skills, things I really have to change.

For me the only thing that pisses me off is if I die completely anti-climactically and in a lame way - that's the only way to "lose" adventure mode as far as I'm concerned. If I die in a great duel or in a completely stupid/ridiculous I'm fine with it.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1104